Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm confused by conflicting and incomplete information re: charge point availability, and which points are restricted for staff etc.

For example, two points of interest for me are:
  1. University of Herfordshire, De Haviland Building Hatfield :
    http://www.zap-map.com/#y=51.76255/x=-0.24348/z=17
  2. Bristol & Bath Science Park, BS16 7FR
It's totally unclear to me if either of these are intended for public use. After checking three or more charge maps, information between charge map providers is either unclear or inconsistent. Of course, I could phone the owners and ask them directly but I wondered if there was some central way of checking which should be public, as a condition of grant status etc. and which are private for staff use only. I'm not inclined to just take their word for it as they may be motivated to turn away the general public for other reasons. I couldn't find anything in the OLEV grant information I looked at to say OLEV funded chargers must be made available to the public, but I might be wrong.

I think this comes down to the national charge point register that isn't being used effectively. Loads of Bristol chargers are missing, and there is no data on which are public and which are restricted use. Any other option?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,499 Posts
Ditto, CYC map states that a charger I could use is available to the public between 8am and 6pm. I went to the reception and asked and was advised that they thought that because it was a private college car park that the general public could not use it. I am still trying to get this clarified and either be able to use it or have the CYC map details updated.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had some further thoughts on this. Sure I read somewhere that workplaces that have EV charging functionality and don't open this to the public are liable to declare Benefit In Kind value to HMRC for their employees who use it unless its only used to charge fleet vehicles in the course of their business.

Doing so would be a PITA to administer. I wonder if this invites some organisations to use sharp practices like declaring them public yet siting to restrict public access by placing them behind access control barriers for example. If it's not public, fine - abide by the rules and ensure everyone pays their taxes.

Again, how to find out what's just & proper :mad:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The de Havilland Campus charger has both bays reserved for e-Car club, so the general EV driving public can't use it.
(The Forum car park, also at the University of Hertfordshire, has one e-car club reserved bay and one general access bay, but when I turned up there, they were both occupied by fully charged e-car club vehicles)
The university's park and ride has a set of chargers, and I found successful charge there, but it's only available during University term time, again, several e-car club vehicles were parked there.

e-Car club was founded, I think, by the University of Hertfordshire, which explains why there's so many of the cars there.

Openchargemap has the details of these car-club restrictions

·
Banned
789 Posts
Most of stratford upon Avon chargers are also 'littered' with e-car club vehicles which is a menace! The e- are club is a private profit making business blocking public olev funded chargers in public car parks. I've got my MP onto it and am trying to get them removed. I wouldn't mind if they were being used but they just sit there collecting dust!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It seems that most of the charging points in St. Albans are re-purposed car club bays, from an old defunct ICE car club, the bays still have car club markings - so there, you have the opposite problem. No announcements from St. Albans City & District council as to how they intend the bays to be used these days. I use them for EV charging and have yet to get a ticket.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
It seems that most of the charging points in St. Albans are re-purposed car club bays, from an old defunct ICE car club, the bays still have car club markings - so there, you have the opposite problem. No announcements from St. Albans City & District council as to how they intend the bays to be used these days. I use them for EV charging and have yet to get a ticket.
I spoke to them ages ago, they are now for all EV's to use and with free parking:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is what put me off joining PluggedInMidlands, all their points local to me are staff only or Nissan/Renault dealerships which only help their own customers (I drive VW).

Charge points further afield are no better, this makes a PIM card totally worthless.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
This is what put me off joining PluggedInMidlands, all their points local to me are staff only or Nissan/Renault dealerships which only help their own customers (I drive VW).

Charge points further afield are no better, this makes a PIM card totally worthless.
Odd, I've used mine in my home town, Birmingham, Stratford and at a few Ecotricity sites.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Odd, I've used mine in my home town, Birmingham, Stratford and at a few Ecotricity sites.
Already have an Ecotricity card which is good for motorway and IKEA locations. In my experience the few public access locations on PIM are actually cross-agreements with other companies, not actually installed under the PIM scheme.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There must be countless examples of this. The ones at The Crystal E16 are shown as Source London but security are reluctant to let you through barrier if you are not in a Tesla !!
Local BMW dealer also said I couldn't use their charger despite it being listed on some sites. No surprise there then.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My rule of thumb is that if they show up on a map of the charging network supplier, and don't explicitly say private, and you can get to them, you can use them. Chargemaster have a lot of private points - with RFID readers, in private business staff car parks, that they don't show on their maps, for instance. (There's six of them in a private car park near my office, I've never seen them in use. I haven't sneaked into the car park to find out if my Polar Network card will work on it, but there's no point because I wouldn't be able to get my car past the barrier.)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I found this when I was looking at the Corby points yesterday - almost all the taxpayer-funded points are "staff only".
Any local paper that likes having a go at tax-payer wasted money? And I'm sure HMRC have a fraud reporting phone line for undeclared BIK stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts