Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the onboard SatNav on a couple of occasions to find a nearby Charger location and allowed it to guide me to the charger. All very good.

My question....

There are new CCS chargers appearing daily in the UK. How do I update my SatNav to make it aware of new chargers?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have not got round to see if charging points on the sat nav but I have downloaded the zap map app on to my smart phone, plus the pod point app and the pod point app so you can get the post codes from those apps and type those in to the sat nav.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
When you come across a new charger its easy to manually add it to the satnav. But as of yet I've not found a way to download locations directly to the satnav.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
With my old Garmin I could download POI on to an SD card. There doesn't seem any way to do this with either the Zoe or MG.

TBH doing a search for 'electric car charging' on any of the POI sites doesn't reveal anything that would help.

Reactions: Nickel

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
With my old Garmin I could download POI on to an SD card. There doesn't seem any way to do this with either the Zoe or MG.

TBH doing a search for 'electric car charging' on any of the POI sites doesn't reveal anything that would help.

NNG who make Naviextras own iGo maps. To update the car you need to stick a fat32 formatted usb into the car, it will update and put some files on the usb stick. Then register on the Naviextras MG page, this will then update your usb stick and then stick that back in the car. I'm presuming that NNG will routinely do charger update POIs.

However it might be worth trying a variation of this... How to load new POI (KML) files to a iGO Primo MyWay V9 unit | iGO forum Make you own POI file and then stick it on the USB and stick it in the car and it might pull in the new POIs itself. In my experience hacking the Renault Zoe satnav wasn't all that tricky, and I made a number of POI files that I shared for different AC chargers. Maybe the MG Nav is similarly easy to hack.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
If you use Android Auto and then ask google to take you to the nearest available charger it can now do it
Yeah its actually not bad, I've tried it to see how good it was.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NNG who make Naviextras own iGo maps. To update the car you need to stick a fat32 formatted usb into the car, it will update and put some files on the usb stick. Then register on the Naviextras MG page, this will then update your usb stick and then stick that back in the car. I'm presuming that NNG will routinely do charger update POIs.

However it might be worth trying a variation of this... How to load new POI (KML) files to a iGO Primo MyWay V9 unit | iGO forum Make you own POI file and then stick it on the USB and stick it in the car and it might pull in the new POIs itself. In my experience hacking the Renault Zoe satnav wasn't all that tricky, and I made a number of POI files that I shared for different AC chargers. Maybe the MG Nav is similarly easy to hack.
I will have a go at that.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
I joined Navietxtras, but I don't know how to make a fingerprint (unless it's on a shiny surface) can anybody tell me how. I have a spare USB stick poised and ready.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

To create the finger print pop your formatted usb stick into the car click on settings then click on system, scroll down to update satnav and then click start. This will download the file (fingerprint) onto your usb stick.
Then once you have logged into the navi extras tool box insert your usb and it will automatically pick it up, be patient with it as its quite slow to recognise the usb stick.
Unfortunately the only updates are still Q4 2019 for maps.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I made the fingerprint on a spare USB drive, installed the naviextras app on my laptop (booting windows, how quaint!), but it failed because my USB drive (7.5GB after formatting) wasn't big enough. Does anyone know how big it needs to be?

I didn't have a bigger "thumb" drive, but I had a spare 1TB hard drive, and I was able to delete all partitions in windows and create a 24GB partition and format it FAT32 (windows won't easily format anything bigger than 32GB as fat32), and that worked.

It took a while for the naviextras toolbox to detect the drive and its fingerprint, I think I was clicking around in the app for a while. There were two updates, one was EV charging from this year, and then many minutes (I didn't sit and watch) to write the updates. Once finished I ejected the drive in the proper way from windows and was able to load the updates from the MG's system menu. The screen showed "checking files" for a long time, with the progress bar going about 60% of the way across, then soon after the screen went blank as the infotainment unit rebooted. I didn't notice any real difference after.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I joined Navietxtras, but I don't know how to make a fingerprint (unless it's on a shiny surface) can anybody tell me how. I have a spare USB stick poised and ready.
Whilst checking through the charging points on the mg zs ev sat nav it doesn't tell you the company which runs the chargers.IE I have got podpoint and polar instant apps on my Samsung Galaxy,is there any way to add this,
otherwise I may as well just use the zap map and type in the post codes of the above charging points.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Whilst checking through the charging points on the mg zs ev sat nav it doesn't tell you the company which runs the chargers.IE I have got podpoint and polar instant apps on my Samsung Galaxy,is there any way to add this,
otherwise I may as well just use the zap map and type in the post codes of the above charging points.
basically, I'd use zapmap or other app and then navigate to that in Waze using Android Auto. Since getting my car last week I've not been further than 12 miles away from home. The wife is a convert to EVs though.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Make sure you are stopped in a safe place before doing so 😀

Stay Safe and always wash your hands.
Public chargers are weatherproof, so feel free to spray the screens with sanitiser before touching, and sanitise hands, and anything you touched, during charging afterwards.

I am amazed that supermarkets don't appear to be sanitising trolley and basket handles, they should have someone on the door doing this as people walk in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts