Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused.

At my local Ikea, there are 2 ecotricity chargers. One has Chademo and AC, the other CCS and AC. However, there are 4 EV parking bays, 2 for each chargers.

Is it possible to use the AC charger at the same time as the DC one? If so, how does the payment work? Or is AC free? And if it's not possible, why are there 2 parking bays?

Thanks.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
139 Posts
I'm a bit confused.

At my local Ikea, there are 2 ecotricity chargers. One has Chademo and AC, the other CCS and AC. However, there are 4 EV parking bays, 2 for each chargers.

Is it possible to use the AC charger at the same time as the DC one? If so, how does the payment work? Or is AC free? And if it's not possible, why are there 2 parking bays?

Thanks.
I believe it is possible to use both AC and DC charging at the same time from one charger. Often a charger will have all 3 types of connections, in which case it is not possible to use both DC chargers at the same time - only an AC and DC connection. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The Ecotricity chargers can only charge one car at a time. The AC charging is the same cost as the DC charging as it's a 43kW charger. There are 2 parking bays to allow cars with charging sockets on different sides to park so the leads on the chargers can reach.

Some chargers allow AC charging at the same time as DC but not the old DBT units that Ecotricity use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ecotricity chargers can only charge one car at a time.
Thanks - that's what I guessed. Shame, as I could have topped up my car to 100% at 7Kw in the 2-3 hours we were in Ikea, but I didn't want to block the charger for someone who actually needed charge.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
My understanding is that the 7kW Ecotricity charge points (referred to as “slow chargers”, of which there are 14 (according to their website) are all free to use. You will need a Ecotricity swipe card to use these charges.

There is such charges, in addition to a rapid charger, at Ikea in Croydon. I’ve not tried it in a long time, however, but this is the reason why i keep an old Ecotricity charge card in my car.

Some rapids do allow you to use the AC charge point even when someone is using the CCS or Chadamo charge point; not sure if this is the case with Ecotricity units though

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
You will need a Ecotricity swipe card to use these charges.
Sadly, someone yesterday on another thread that he had tried it recently and the card wouldn't work. EcoT have been talking about discontinuing them since they started charging for charging.

Just a little tip though: don't try to charge a Zoe on the DBT units at Charnock Richard. They'll cause a BCI. Been there, done that, ate the pie.

List of EcoT AC posts (you might get lucky, but you need the card and your own cable)

Forest Green Rovers, Nailsworth

Green Britain Centre, Swaffham

Green Park, reading

Ikea, Croydon

Charnock Richard, M6 (both directions) (BD)

Leicester Forest East, MI (BD)

Membury M4 (BD)

Michael Wood M5 (BD)

Newport Pagnell M1 (BD)

Oxford Waterstock M40

Reactions: Kieren

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
but this is the reason why i keep an old Ecotricity charge card in my car.
I use my as the RFID to start GeniePoint chargers.

Reactions: Kieren

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
Some chargers allow AC charging at the same time as DC but not the old DBT units that Ecotricity use.
The old DBT units DO actually charge two cars together. It's just Ecotricity that crippled them. Same goes for their new Efacec ones. They are capable of doing so too, but the Ecotricity app and payment system can't handle 2 active sessions on one unit.

One of my regular charging locations has these old DBT chargers on a different network, and using them suddenly makes it really obvious that they don't deserve their reputation that Ecotricity have caused... Regularly maintained, fully working, still looking smart, no current limit meaning you can actually do the full 50kW (Ecotricity is 42.5 max because they kept setting themselves on fire), can charge AC and DC together, and CCS reliably works too!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
The sooner Ecotricity‘s monopoly at the service locations comes to an end the better! I won’t add anything else here as there are already a number of threads on this topic!!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
I think they can only do 1 at a time. At least the one near me can only do one.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Thanks - that's what I guessed. Shame, as I could have topped up my car to 100% at 7Kw in the 2-3 hours we were in Ikea, but I didn't want to block the charger for someone who actually needed charge.
Just a heads up that rapid chargers are really intended for 22kW or above charging. Staying on one for a long time charging at 7kW will make you very unpopular with other EV drivers. To avoid it happening, many operators now charge penalties if you charge for too long. For example BP charge £10 after 90 mins.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Just a heads up that rapid chargers are really intended for 22kW or above charging. Staying on one for a long time charging at 7kW will make you very unpopular with other EV drivers. To avoid it happening, many operators now charge penalties if you charge for too long. For example BP charge £10 after 90 mins.
Agreed. I read so many reports on Zap-Map from drivers who charge on AC attached to a rapids and complain why they are not getting a rapid charge!!

I think that most are unaware that the AC were originally installed for Zoes which had a rapid 43kW charge capability.

As I (and a few other users) have commented, the car will only accept the maximum AC charge rate that it is capable of accepting, typically 7kW.

I am not sure why the AC still feature on Rapids as I think the new Zoe’s have a different type of rapid charging connection now?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Agreed, though if you "need" a 100% charge, switching to AC at about 90% is quicker than DC on an Ioniq 38. Of course I would never do that if someone was actually waiting though, and certainly wouldn't leave it unattended at one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had assumed (wrongly, apparently), that they were 7Kw fast chargers combined with the DC rapids, so it was ok to leave yourself connected for ages. It's not like I can pop out of Ikea in the middle of going round the one-way system to unplug it!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I had assumed (wrongly, apparently), that they were 7Kw fast chargers combined with the DC rapids, so it was ok to leave yourself connected for ages. It's not like I can pop out of Ikea in the middle of going round the one-way system to unplug it!
Sure and I agree IKEA was an odd place for a rapid. A few 22kW posts would have been far better IMO, which is what Resort World near NEC has.

Reactions: Jon72 and cah197

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
I am not sure why the AC still feature on Rapids as I think the new Zoe’s have a different type of rapid charging connection now?
Just because a new model was released doesn't mean that the last 5+ years worth of Zoes suddenly get taken off the road. The existing cars still need to be supported for some time yet! (Also CCS is still only an optional extra on the new models. A 22kW AC charger is still the standard, even on the new ones)

Newer rapids tend to just have a 22kW socket installed, which is probably a better solution which will probably avoid some confusion.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Huh, that explains a lot. I always used to charge Zoe at IKEA Cardiff next to a Leaf. I assumed I was getting 3kw because the charger was shagged, not because the unit couldn’t actually support two cars at the same time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My understanding is that the 7kW Ecotricity charge points (referred to as “slow chargers”, of which there are 14 (according to their website) are all free to use. You will need a Ecotricity swipe card to use these charges.
They're actually 22kW three-phase units, not 7kW... when they work.
So, if your vehicle is capable of drawing a full 32amps per phase, you get a reasonably fast charge for free.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts