Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again!

Well, I got the Leaf home for the first day of a 3 day trial thanks to Wirral Nissan. Knowing that I have a type 2 32A tethered charger they kindly lent me a type 2 to 1 lead as well as the standard EVSE for the 3.3kW Acenta on trial. Unfortunately, the lead added to my tether is simply not recognised by the car, or for that matter by the car by the charger. I am, therefore, limited to the slow EVSE. No big problem for now, but going forward I need to know my options.

If we buy a 6.6kW Leaf will we need to replace the existing Polar Chargemaster Type 2? When it was installed the electrician said that a lead change is not an option - the whole unit must be replaced at a cost of £500+ !!

I obviously went too soon on getting the charger. At the time we were looking to buy the Zoe as soon as it came to market, until they announced that it was battery lease only.

Is there an adaptor or lead that would work with my type 2 tethered lead chargemaster and a Gen 2 Leaf.

All wisdom gratefully received :)

I love the car, as do the kids - so far so good!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Unfortunately you cannot use adapter leads.

I would imagine that that unit is still under warranty? You could approach the supplier (Chargemaster?) to see if they could give you a price to change the cable/connector. It should be technically possible but whether they will allow it or be willing to do it for anything like a sensible price is another matter completely. If they don't then it might be possible to change it yourself but I am pretty sure it would then invalidate the warranty and if anything went wrong then it could cost you even more.

I am sure some others here will have an opinion...

BTW... did you get your charging station free under the grant scheme? If not then you could always get one under that scheme now.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
When it was installed the electrician said that a lead change is not an option - the whole unit must be replaced at a cost of £500+ !!
Officially cable change is not supported... however, a knowledgable electrician could buy a suitable cable and install it :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Presumably it's down to a physical difference in the Type 2 plug that goes into a wall/charge post socket and the socket on the vehicle - a matter of length of the units perhaps?

If that is so, then couldn't one use a vehicle socket built into an IP54 rated enclosure and connected to a type one vehicle plug?

This would make a neat solution whilst maintaining the ability to charge type 2 vehicles.

In short, one of these:

and one of these:

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
If that is so, then couldn't one use a vehicle socket built into an IP54 rated enclosure and connected to a type one vehicle plug?
You could build an adaptor as described and it would work.

However, vehicle adaptors are not allowed by the IEC standards and therefore an electrician would be unable to approve your product and it would effectively be 'illegal' in the EU. Obviously, you'll have to decide what you do about that because the liability will fall on you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Kevin.

So the only reason a Type 2 to Type 1 lead as supplied with the 6.6kW leaf won't work on my tether is because there's a physical difference between the Type 2 socket installed in a car and the Type 2 socket installed in a charging post?No clever electronics involved?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
So the only reason a Type 2 to Type 1 lead as supplied with the 6.6kW leaf won't work on my tether is because there's a physical difference between the Type 2 socket installed in a car and the Type 2 socket installed in a charging post?
Correct, the Type 2 car connector and Type 2 charging station connector are physically different and designed to prevent people from daisy chaining cables.

No clever electronics involved?
Correct, no signalling differences exist between the car connector and charging station connector.

However, both the car connector and charging station connector have safety interlocks to prevent withdrawal of the connector when in use and that must be considered in any application.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin,

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.

I note the point about the interlock - a feature which the Type 1 seems to lack as it can be pulled out while charging.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.

I note the point about the interlock - a feature which the Type 1 seems to lack as it can be pulled out while charging.
No it cannot, as soon as you press the button the charging stops.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There is a simple way to get a male type 2 plug to fit in a tethered type 2 female plug, you have to cut 14mm off the end of the male end...
A few of use have done it for our Tesla Roadsters so that we can use the Rapid chargers and get 60amp single phase from the 43kW type 2 points.
It's probably not something that an electrician would approve and will permanently alter the plug so locking into charge points etc. will not be possible however the lead will still work exactly the same in terms of charging.

Reactions: Rory166

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is why I would recommend that you get a type2 socket installed for your chargepoint.
Then any EV can plug in!

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
got a link ?
This was a reply to a very old thread.

There are more recent threads discussing the "non approved" adapters and the consensus was that they are not a good idea on a permanent basis from a safety perspective. The Type 2 connector used is not intended for cable connection and if it became damaged 240V could be exposed. The better solution is to replace the tethered cable, which isn't too expensive and most electricians could do.

·
Waiting to get a Leaf 2 on PCP.
84 Posts
If we buy a 6.6kW Leaf will we need to replace the existing Polar Chargemaster Type 2? When it was installed the electrician said that a lead change is not an option - the whole unit must be replaced at a cost of £500+ !!
We recently changed our Zoe for a Leaf and had the same problem. We have a British Gas chargemaster unit which I think is the same as the Polar one. Sourced a new type 1 lead from ebay (several online companies also sell them) and got a local charge point installer (electrician) to swap them over. A total of about £120.

If you look up the T2>T1 Cables - 1P website it has a guide how to do this yourself. It does look quite simple but I opted for a qualified electrician. They also sell the adaptor for £120 but I would not be happy using this daily.

Hope this helps. There are several other threads on this site covering the same issue.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Same would apply if you ran over a 13A plug. Common sense input required.
Sorry but that is wrong. A 13A plug is designed to be put on a cable. That type 2 socket is designed for chassis mounting.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts