Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realised the petrol backup hasn't turned a wheel for over a month ... so Flipper's post set me wondering, do any of you take special measures to keep your "spare" cars ready to use should they be required?

I'm envisaging having to put it up on axle stands and coated in vaseline soon!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a motorhome which is in storage 8 miles away, so I have this issue. What I did about 8 years or so ago was fit a Solar panel to the roof which keeps the starter battery fully charged all year round and stops the alarm etc draining the battery. Then once every 4/5 weeks I take it for a good run enough to get it really warmed up. This stops the tyres going square and the Oil separating out.

I also keep the fuel tank full during the colder months. This I hope reduces the room for condensation to form in the fuel.

Before adding the solar panel I used to drive the van every 2 weeks, but during the winter the battery would always fail and need replacing. Even back then when Solar was expensive, it paid for it's self in batteries and less fuel used. Plus I could switch it to charge the leisure batteries when using the van on holidays - no need for hook ups.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm starting mine for a few minutes until it reaches 90'C and fans starts to work. Thinking of SORN as I didn't drive it for a few months and it's parked on the street... break discs all rusted, I think I'm going for a spin..

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I get my wife to drive our ICEr to work and back 5 days a week That's about 60 miles per week so it should keep it in fine fettle whilst I drive the Leaf !! We don't use the ICEr on the weekends or any other time as apparently it runs on something called Petrol which Mrs B says is really expensive !!

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I had to learn the hard way... I had originally killed the battery...

...on our ICE BMW X5

Nowadays, we forcibly do short-distance (5-10 mile) errands in it at least every other week. Which accounts for some of my 95 EV/5 ICE mileage ratios.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
We deliberately use the ICE for a trip over 20 miles whenever we get the opportunity but we nearly always do trips like that every week so it isn't a problem for us :)

An ICE needs to get fully warmed up to clear out moisture and warm the oil. If you can make it at least 15-20 mins each time you use the ICE I am certain it would do the car a lot more good.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
We deliberately use the ICE for a trip over 20 miles whenever we get the opportunity but we nearly always do trips like that every week so it isn't a problem for us :)

An ICE needs to get fully warmed up to clear out moisture and warm the oil. If you can make it at least 15-20 mins each time you use the ICE I am certain it would do the car a lot more good.
In Southern California traffic, 5-10 mile trips are about 15-20 minutes (if you're lucky).

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We discovered that you cannot push start a diesel Panda very soon into our EV life. Now it gets a run about once a week, 10 miles +. If the LEAF had a tow-bar the Panda would go.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Well seems like I am not the only one then, that's reassuring. Best go and fire the old girl up ...
My wife drives our ICE every day. 15 minutes each way to work. Just enough to warm the engine up and keep it running ok.
We take it on a longer run of 200 miles every 4-6 months just to clear it all through.
It's just got to about 120000 miles, and I reckon it'll do the same again yet.
But as she loves it so much, I might look to convert it to EV when the engine gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Slightly off topic, but replying to Lee and for others thoughts. One of the main faults I have found in the LEAF is its lack of a towbar.
Every car I have owned for the past twenty years has had a towbar. I tow boats, esp my Open Day Sailer, A good trailer will double the capacity of the small car for little cost, and no extra road tax. With my Pandas, both Diesel and Petrol, I used a 750kg gross Trailer. I have moved furniture, office equipment, many tons of building materials and once 1000 litres of diesel fuel in a tank. At one stage during the demolition of my old house it was such a frequent visitor at the local tip that I was threatened with classification as commercial. I estimate that having a trailer has saved me several hundred pounds in Vans not rented, or removal companies not hired. delivery charges not paid or large second car not needed.
The effect on mpg was surprisingly small, on the 70mile trip with a ton load the Panda slipped from 65mpg to 62 mpg. hardly noticeable.
I commend the Tow bar and medium sized trailer. (It even carries my bicycle):)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Slightly off topic, but replying to Lee and for others thoughts. One of the main faults I have found in the LEAF is its lack of a towbar.
Every car I have owned for the past twenty years has had a towbar. I tow boats, esp my Open Day Sailer, A good trailer will double the capacity of the small car for little cost, and no extra road tax. With my Pandas, both Diesel and Petrol, I used a 750kg gross Trailer. I have moved furniture, office equipment, many tons of building materials and once 1000 litres of diesel fuel in a tank. At one stage during the demolition of my old house it was such a frequent visitor at the local tip that I was threatened with classification as commercial. I estimate that having a trailer has saved me several hundred pounds in Vans not rented, or removal companies not hired. delivery charges not paid or large second car not needed.
The effect on mpg was surprisingly small, on the 70mile trip with a ton load the Panda slipped from 65mpg to 62 mpg. hardly noticeable.
I commend the Tow bar and medium sized trailer. (It even carries my bicycle):)
I completely agree it's ideal to be able to tow! It's just the image of a Panda with a trailer that makes me smile. :)

Personally I would love a towbar on the Ampera purely for a decent bike rack !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts