Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do far more city driving than I'd like to, and if you drive in a city a lot you'll know what I mean here. You're stopping at a junction behind five cars, they nudge forward one car at a time with maybe a 15 second wait between each one, but it might be five seconds, you're stopping, rolling a bit, stopping, rolling.

How do you stop each time? Do you go into P? Or N? Or Do you just brake and leave it in D/B and stay hands off the gearstick?

Second scenario - stopping at lights - again in urban situations you might be at lights for a few seconds, it might escalate to a minute, you can't always tell. What do you do here? Handbrake and N? P? Or just...leave it in D/B?

I don't necessarily want to know which is "right/wrong/more/less offensive" because this is city driving, being offensive to other motorists is mandatory. I just want to know what everyone else does and why.

....Extra points :) if you can tell me what the motor is doing in each scenario, because I find it hard to believe that it's not loaded at all when you are depressing the brake - because, hill start mode and stuff.

p.s. for what it's worth, I personally sit in B/D, unless it's traffic lights that I know take ages, then I sit in N with brake on as necessary. I don't use the handbrake as I almost always forget to release it which can have unpredictable results! I don't use N unless I have to though because the double pull to get back into B is cumbersome for me!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
B/D because life is too short.
Some will complain about brake lights melting their eyes. *shrug*
Pot hole dodging is the main challenge at the moment anyway.

I'll go for the some of the extra points... :)
The motor will be on low power for the creep until you press the brake hard enough.
Then it will drop to zero power. You can just about feel when that is but it's subtle.
I know this from my old leaf DD.
I think hill start uses the brakes but not absolutely sure on that.

Reactions: Stormgrey

·
Registered
960 Posts
foot on brakes in ev/auto
slowly destroy clutch in the manual

with a manual handbrake car I put it on, but not a fan with leaf footbreak

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,638 Posts

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
Depends on whether I know the junction or not.

If I don't, I'll stay in B and hold it on the foot brake until I get bored!

If I know the junction, it depends - there's a number of considerations, including whether the lights were already red when I approached, how long I know the light phasing to be, whether there's anyone behind me, whether I know the junction to be on fixed phases or dynamic, and if dynamic the amount of traffic that's waiting at the other side of the junction and thus likely to keep my light red.

If I know I'm going to be waiting more than around 10-15 seconds, I'll apply the handbrake and use Neutral (never Park!).

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
I think hill start uses the brakes but not absolutely sure on that.
It does - try doing a slow hill start on a very steep hill, you can hear the brakes resisting as the car tries to balance them against the motor until you apply enough power.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Unless I suspect traffic lights are going to change very soon, I apply (foot operated) parking brake and move 'gear lever' to N (if I remember). I avoid using P because you then have to apply the footbrake in order to get it out into D when the lights change (not needed going from N to D).

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I slow down, I look at those 4 green regen circles. I try not to get them all lit up, cos I assume this when the friction brakes kick in and you loose energy.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I slow down, I look at those 4 green regen circles. I try not to get them all lit up, cos I assume this when the friction brakes kick in and you loose energy.
sort of - the only way to be sure your friction brakes aren't kicking in is to be in B mode slowing down without your foot on the brake pedal. I understand that the brake pedal often (always?) uses a "blend" of regen and friction.

The caveat is of course that "braking" in B mode without pressing the pedal doesn't light the brake lights and while ICE drivers should really be paying attention and maintaining a safe distance, they usually aren't and I have noticed you get an awful lot of "aggressive waving" to put it politely. Gently feathering the brake in B mode is probably the compromise.

with a manual handbrake car I put it on, but not a fan with leaf footbreak
me neither! And "park" rocks back and forth if you're on even the slightest incline which is just annoying...

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
Maybe not. You can use LEAF spy to find out.

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
I learned to drive in California and passed my driving test there in an Automatic. -- We are taught differently there. The way we are taught gets a minor faults on the UK test.

I did my UK driving tuition and practial in a manual transmission car. (Passed with 3 minor faults)

I drive our LEAF as I've always driven an automatic. I use the footbrake to hold the car unless the delay is very long. If it is, I put the car in park and punch the parking brake. That woud get me minor faults on a UK test.

For any more than a brief stop, UK drivers are supposed to apply the parking brake before releasing the footbrake.

As far as I can tell, putting the car in neutral is optional -- but I could be wrong. Park is supposed to be used when parking the car but not when stopped in traffic.

This goes against what I was taught in California.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sort of - the only way to be sure your friction brakes aren't kicking in is to be in B mode slowing down without your foot on the brake pedal. I understand that the brake pedal often (always?) uses a "blend" of regen and friction.

The caveat is of course that "braking" in B mode without pressing the pedal doesn't light the brake lights and while ICE drivers should really be paying attention and maintaining a safe distance, they usually aren't and I have noticed you get an awful lot of "aggressive waving" to put it politely. Gently feathering the brake in B mode is probably the compromise.

me neither! And "park" rocks back and forth if you're on even the slightest incline which is just annoying...
Have noticed even in B mode full regen doesn't engage unless you slightly push the brake pedal. Feels like the top part of the pedal isn't engaging physical brakes though?

I usually just hold mine with the foot brake though. If waiting a long time i'll use the hand brake.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I always keep it in D/B and have my foot on the brake. Far too much delay if having to release the handbrake(footbrake) then engage D/B then accelerate. We need intelligent lights that include a "countdown" so that a smoother and quicker take off at lights is the norm. In the I3 I just take my foot off the accelerator and press it when the lights change. Makes me realise how slow the old ICE's are at lights,

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,638 Posts
I learned to drive in California and passed my driving test there in an Automatic. -- We are taught differently there. The way we are taught we get a minor fault on the UK test.

I did my UK driving tuition and practial in a manual transmission car. (Passed with 3 minor faults)

I drive our LEAF as I've always driven an automatic. I use the footbrake to hold the car unless the delay is very long. If it is, I put the car in park and punch the parking break. -- That woud get me minor faults on a UK test.

For any more than a brief stop, UK drivers are supposed to apply the parking brake before releasing the footbrake.

As far as I can tell, putting the car in neutral is optional -- but I could be wrong. Park is supposed to be used when parking the car but not when stopped in traffic.

This goes against what I was taught in California.
The way 'we' are taught in the UK is also a problem for automatics, where folks will select 'park' and then the parking brake before releasing the footbrake. This can mean that if you come to a stop with the car pitched forwards, the parking pawl may end up being forced against the locking feature by the handbrake when you release the foot brake.

·
One Life - Leaf It
488 Posts
I never use the "P" button in traffic. For long stops at traffic lights, I switch into neutral and use the foot pedal ratchety brake. Once you get used to it, it's surprisingly natural to switch back into D, release the brake and you're off.

It's actually quite nicely thought out - if the car had a conventional mechanical handbrake then you wouldn't have enough hands.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I never use the "P" button in traffic. For long stops at traffic lights, I switch into neutral and use the foot pedal ratchety brake. Once you get used to it, it's surprisingly natural to switch back into D, release the brake and you're off.

It's actually quite nicely thought out - if the car had a conventional mechanical handbrake then you wouldn't have enough hands.
I agree entirely. That's what I do too. (I have corrected your typo over switch back to 'D' btw. )

The conflict is entirely over temporary stops and longer ones. There has been guidance for many years over this from motoring gurus of course and seems to involve less than or more than 12 second stops before neutral and handbrake involvement.

As you say, N and ratchet brake in a Leaf works best for other than brief stops. Seamless slip back into D and click off the ratchet brake works smoothly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts