Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Please can someone explain how you would pre-heat or pre-cool the e-Niro especially if you only charge at home during the Octopus Go 0030-0430hrs but leave home at 0700hrs? I realise there are settings in the car which I haven't used yet as do all through my Ohme app and that the reason to do this whilst plugged in is so you don't use up battery charge. However, if I want to use these pre-heat/cool features whilst on home electricity I can only think that I need to set car to charge as well during the period leading up to 0700hrs which is outside of the cheap electricity so costing more in the long run?

Is this what other Octopus Go drivers do then?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I’d like to hear about that too. I’ve tried setting a particular temperature for a particular time with the UVO app, but nothing ever happened, whether plugged in or not

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi,

Please can someone explain how you would pre-heat or pre-cool the e-Niro especially if you only charge at home during the Octopus Go 0030-0430hrs but leave home at 0700hrs? I realise there are settings in the car which I haven't used yet as do all through my Ohme app and that the reason to do this whilst plugged in is so you don't use up battery charge. However, if I want to use these pre-heat/cool features whilst on home electricity I can only think that I need to set car to charge as well during the period leading up to 0700hrs which is outside of the cheap electricity so costing more in the long run?

Thanks
Turn on 'Prioritise off-peak' and set a departure time of 07:00. The car will start charging at 00:30 and finish when the charge level gets to whatever you have set. Then it will pre-condition the car for your 07:00 departure. It only takes five minutes or so to get to whatever temperature you have set so don't expect it to come on at 06:30.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn on 'Prioritise off-peak' and set a departure time of 07:00. The car will start charging at 00:30 and finish when the charge level gets to whatever you have set. Then it will pre-condition the car for your 07:00 departure. It only takes five minutes or so to get to whatever temperature you have set so don't expect it to come on at 06:30.
Thanks. Will the precondition use up much battery charge if not actually charging at the time as I usually stop charge at 80%? I can add on a few more % when charging so still will be at 80% by 0700hrs.

·
Super Moderator
7,718 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
You must have a long commute if you’re worried about the range loss from a preheat after charging to 80%!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must have a long commute if you’re worried about the range loss from a preheat after charging to 80%!
No just 80 miles daily however, I've not used the feature yet and so don't know how much % charge is lost preheating when not charging. I'm thinking about winter and defrosting car really. That's why I'm asking to see if someone can tell me how much is used up?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks. Will the precondition use up much battery charge if not actually charging at the time as I usually stop charge at 80%? I can add on a few more % when charging so still will be at 80% by 0700hrs.
No, it will take the power from the mains. By the way, this advice relates to using the car's charge scheduling. I don't know anything about scheduling with external devices such as your Ohme app.

·
Super Moderator
7,718 Posts
No just 80 miles daily however, I've not used the feature yet and so don't know how much % charge is lost preheating when not charging. I'm thinking about winter and defrosting car really. That's why I'm asking to see if someone can tell me how much is used up?
Maybe 5 miles or so, based on 6 years experience with the Leaf.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can also activate the pre-condition (start air-con) from the app. Mine usually sends a push notification that it failed but it's running anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the charger is anything like my zappi then you charge on the off peak hours and the wall charger then cuts off so you'll be using the battery to heat the car.

You'd be using the car battery anyway to heat the car on a journey so it won't make a lot of difference ot the range I'd have thought, unless of course the temperature drops to -10C or something ...

·
Registered
277 Posts
With an ohme to pre-condition/heat I plan to follow the following (likely from bed/before shower in morning).
1/ Activate the override charge mode (ie, max change all the time).
2/ Send the instruction to pre-heat.

Given it's like 5 clicks on phone and about 20s to do all that, I don't see it as a hardship. That said, I doubt I'd do that on days like today where the agile price is ridicolous in the morning, and I'd instead just aim to charge to 85% or so overnight instead of 80 so I had margin.

Even on my "long" London commutes in winter I don't anticipate "needing" below 60% of batt, so it really shouldn't matter -> I'm also safe in knowledge I have "many" chargers to use in London to get my charge "back" at work to get home, and I'll be 100% charging on them for sure, as work charges a nice 2p/Kwh. (thought they did recently do a 100% increase from 1p/Kwh). 10 hour day in office = 100% to then get home, and in evening that night, I'll only need a minor charge to get back. Joys of a 126 mile commute and an EV reducing the cost of that from ~ 30 quid a day to 2-3.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I realise you can use app to heat or cool but specifically wondered about the scheduling and drawing from mains not battery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With an ohme to pre-condition/heat I plan to follow the following (likely from bed/before shower in morning).
1/ Activate the override charge mode (ie, max change all the time).
2/ Send the instruction to pre-heat.

Given it's like 5 clicks on phone and about 20s to do all that, I don't see it as a hardship. That said, I doubt I'd do that on days like today where the agile price is ridicolous in the morning, and I'd instead just aim to charge to 85% or so overnight instead of 80 so I had margin.

Even on my "long" London commutes in winter I don't anticipate "needing" below 60% of batt, so it really shouldn't matter -> I'm also safe in knowledge I have "many" chargers to use in London to get my charge "back" at work to get home, and I'll be 100% charging on them for sure, as work charges a nice 2p/Kwh. (thought they did recently do a 100% increase from 1p/Kwh). 10 hour day in office = 100% to then get home, and in evening that night, I'll only need a minor charge to get back. Joys of a 126 mile commute and an EV reducing the cost of that from ~ 30 quid a day to 2-3.
What you suggested with override/max charge in Ohme app is what I thought. Can be expensive rates though so better for me to overcharge to 90% and then preheat/cool before departure. I don't have any option for destination charging at work so need the buffer for any delays or re-routing on commute. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You'll know the rates for morning night before, so you can set a lower max charge potentially if you know you can pre-heat because it's 6p at 8am. Remember once we hit winter, the nuclear power back, and wind blowing there is likely a lot more supply margin, and thus cheaper mornings again. Equally I doubt you'll use more than a couple of kwh to preheat car ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll know the rates for morning night before, so you can set a lower max charge potentially if you know you can pre-heat because it's 6p at 8am. Remember once we hit winter, the nuclear power back, and wind blowing there is likely a lot more supply margin, and thus cheaper mornings again. Equally I doubt you'll use more than a couple of kwh to preheat car ;)
I'm on Go not Agile so rate is about X3 c/w the cheap period. If only a couple of kWh to charge when preheating then not big deal but still better to charge to 85-90% during cheap period and use up some battery before departure and leave with about 80% battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts