Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first-time VW owner trying to understand how "preferred charging time" for our ID.4 1st Edition really works. I'd like to be able to depend on it to always charge our car during off-peak hours when our electric utility charges us much lower rates. So far I have found this scheduled charging discussion helpful, but I still don't get it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I have our ID.4 set to charge only to 80%. Eventually I'd like to plug the car in any time of day and have it reliably charge using a level 2 EVSE between 9pm and 9am. For now I am experimenting with the terribly slow EVSE that VW includes here in the US (120V, about 2-3 miles per hour charge). I have create a charging location for our home and set the preferred charging time for 6pm to 5pm. Yes, that's the whole day except for the hour from 5pm-6pm. I have not set any departure time, just the single preferred charging time.

I would expect that if the car is below 80% and I plug it in any time during that 23 hour window, it would start charging right away and charge until it reaches 80%. Again, I have no departure time set, so the car really should not be aiming to be full at any specific hour. In fact, if I have no preferred times set, this is how the car works. But even with a 23 hour preferred time window set, the car behaves very differently.

Today, for example, the car was at about 71% when I plugged it in at 8am. It did not charge at all until hours later, and it only reached 77% by 5pm. I left the car plugged in and expected that at 6pm it would begin charging again to reach the 80% mark, but it did not start charging at all.

I really don't understand the logic the ID.4 is using to charge. Is it aiming to complete the charge at the end of my preferred time window? If so, this seems like it overlaps with the purpose of the departure time setting.

Is there any way to set a charging window and have the car simply charge as quickly as it can during that window? We really have no idea when we will depart on any given day, and we don't mean for the stop time of the preferred time window to be the target time for the 80% charge.

Question I have include: Is the ID.4 "aiming" to finish a charge at the stop time of a preferred time window even if there is no departure time set? Will the ID.4 resume charging after one preferred time window ends and another begins without any intervention (such as unplugging and repulsing the EVSE)? If the EVSE itself follows a schedule, and the ID.4 has no preferred times, will it charge whenever the EVSE offers power? Who can I best contact at VW to either get clarification about how this really works (my dealer knows less than we do) or to share feedback on possible improvements from a customer perspective?

Again, any insights on how the ID.4 "thinks" about charging would be helpful. If I could understand it's logic, I feel I could use the built in timer reliably. Otherwise, I will be forced to buy a much more expensive level 2 EVSE that can adhere to a schedule itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's best to not try put any logic against it. It's totally FUBAR and marches to the beat of its own drum.

Remove location charging, and just start/stop charging from the app.

Complain to VW too if you feel like shouting into a void.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,798 Posts
I thought I understood how my ID.3 was behaving, and then it did something completely different!

yes, it tries (and fails) to charge to the set % at the end of the charging window. Some have had success by setting up multiple small charging windows of 12-1, 1-2, 2-3 etc to force the car to charge in a 1hour window.

I’m hoping the over-the-air 2.3 update will fix it.

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Complain to VW too if you feel like shouting into a void.
I am a new VW owner and have no idea how best to "complain to VW". Does anyone have suggestions for what path is most effective when trying to reach VW with ideas, suggestions, and complaints?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,798 Posts
I am a new VW owner and have no idea how best to "complain to VW". Does anyone have suggestions for what path is most effective when trying to reach VW with ideas, suggestions, and complaints?
All the social media links are listed at the bottom of this page:

However, VW is no doubt aware of these issues, and they will be fixed. Before the 2.0 software you couldn't schedule a charge at all. I'd expect it to be fixed within a few months. No amount of individual complaining is going to speed that up.

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So today I tried using Carnet to restart the charging during a preferred charging time. The ID.4 is at 66%, we are in a preferred charging window, but the car is not charging. I go to Carnet on my phone and tap the "start charging" button. The app puts up an info dialog with the text, "Remote Charging is not possible due to an active profile timer mode. Please go to Remote Profile Timers and activate the timer to try again."

The Carnet app has no "Remote Profile Timers" that I am aware of. Does anyone know what this might be referring to?

Is it asking me to change the in-car "preferred charging time" for my location? This sounds unlikely given that there is nothing "remote" about that setting.

And as I said, I am within the preferred charging time anyway, so why would it have to change?

Mystery piled on mystery. I wonder if anyone at VW actually uses this thing.

·
Registered
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have continued to experiment with the preferred charging times for the ID.4. Note that I am in the USA and my car lists hardware as version H20 and software as version 0792 in case that matters.

I have discovered a technique that seems to make the charing timer behave the way I need it to, I will describe this technique here in case it can be useful to anyone else. In this scenario I am trying to get the car to charge reliably between 9pm (21:00) at night and 9am (09:00) in the morning. Note that right now I am using the very slow Level 1 EVSE that VW supplies with the US vehicles.

When setting up a preferred charging time for a location, I do not set any expected departure time. The system has three slots for preferred charging times. If I just set the first slot to my whole time span (21:00-09:00) then the car fails to start charging reliably at 21:00. I have learned that if I split the period across the three time slots, though, then the car charges much more reliably. So I have set the first slot to 21:00-00:30, the second slot to 00:30-06:00, and the third slot to 06:00-09:00.

When I use all the slots and divide my time span across them, the car charges as I would expect it to. I can plug it in early in the day (say at 4pm or 16:00), it will stay dormant until 9pm (21:00) and then start charging. It will charge all through the night and then at 9am (09:00) it will automatically stop charging.

I still consider the preferred charging time system to be quite buggy and unfriendly. I should not have to play games like this to get it to charge only when I want it to, so I hope VW fixes the logic here. But in the meantime, I am happy that I found a way to work around the bugs. I hope this helps others struggling with the timer, and if anyone has other strategies or advice, I'd love to hear it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts