Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I want to install a car charger that can detect when the solar panels are exporting. The charger will go in the garage, but the power supply comes into the house so the gadget that detects whether we are exporting power to the grid will be in the house.

If you have a solar setup, how does that gadget connect to the car charger? Is it over cat5/6? wifi? direct cable? I'd also be really interested in any experiences/recommendations!

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi

I want to install a car charger that can detect when the solar panels are exporting. The charger will go in the garage, but the power supply comes into the house so the gadget that detects whether we are exporting power to the grid will be in the house.

If you have a solar setup, how does that gadget connect to the car charger? Is it over cat5/6? wifi? direct cable? I'd also be really interested in any experiences/recommendations!

Thanks
I have a smart charger from ChargedEV which works well with my solar panels. They put a clamp in the meter box to measure the current. If the charger is set up for solar charging the charger will start charging when it detects the you are exporting. It will then vary the power to match the amount exported, but it can't drop below about 1.2kW.

I assume you'll not be installing this yourself, so I'd just let the installer get on with it and not worry about the details of how it works. There is a thin wire which runs from the current clamp to the charger.

On Tuesday I added about 6kWh to the car and the charger did a good job - the smart meter showed close to 0 kW the whole time (it probably moved no more than 100W either side of 0). Unfortunately I won't need to use it for several weeks now as I'm not expecting to go anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Zappi you can either wire a clamp in using cat5/6 cable or use a Harvi for wireless readings, note I also have an Eddi so the Harvi means only one ct clamp.
Excellent, if it's cat cable I could also use powerline (IP over power) to connect to the clamp.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a smart charger from ChargedEV which works well with my solar panels. They put a clamp in the meter box to measure the current. If the charger is set up for solar charging the charger will start charging when it detects the you are exporting. It will then vary the power to match the amount exported, but it can't drop below about 1.2kW.

I assume you'll not be installing this yourself, so I'd just let the installer get on with it and not worry about the details of how it works. There is a thin wire which runs from the current clamp to the charger.

On Tuesday I added about 6kWh to the car and the charger did a good job - the smart meter showed close to 0 kW the whole time (it probably moved no more than 100W either side of 0). Unfortunately I won't need to use it for several weeks now as I'm not expecting to go anywhere.
For various reason I can't hardwire from the clamp to the charger, that's why I need one that can connect over IP or wifi or something that I can use to avoid having to run another cable! Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent, if it's cat cable I could also use powerline (IP over power) to connect to the clamp.

Thanks
No, powerline is sight different, it is data, although using cat cable is normally data in this case it is purely for electric but it such low power that cat cable is enough, if you cannot hardwire then Harvi is about £50 I think and so far has been stable.

One thing to say, I have some Home batteries using a Solis Hybrid inverter and this also needs a ct clamp and there is no wireless option, not an issue at all with just the zappi and eddi products but just in case you were looking at batteries, granted other invererters may have wireless options but just wanted to let you know.

i really like the zappi, generally in the winter months we use it as a normal charger with the timer set at night then in the summer the car is usually at home at least 3 days which is normally almost all our usage covered off pure solar.

eddi Is worth conaidering if you have a tank for hot water and dont have batteries but it is not cheap and I really only got it because I got a good deal from my installer as they were doing it all at once.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have just seen from your other posts that you have a leaf?
have you seen ovo V2g, no idea about solar but if it is available then it I a real smart bit of tech.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Be careful if using IP over Mains (powerline, whatever). There's a thread in MG ZS section where doing just this has glitched & stopped the charging process randomly after say 10 mins! It may just be that particular EV that's sensitive to what looks like "noise" on the mains, but for all we know, other EVs might also not like this.

Also, the EVSE is required to stop charging if the mains exceeds 253V; maybe powerline signal on top adds a 3V spike on top of a "safe" 251V waveform, and the EVSE shuts down, just when you don't want it to. AFAIK there's nothing that says the EVSE should restart itself after detecting what's considered an "error" condition, so you wake up finding not enough range for your commute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, powerline is sight different, it is data, although using cat cable is normally data in this case it is purely for electric but it such low power that cat cable is enough, if you cannot hardwire then Harvi is about £50 I think and so far has been stable.

One thing to say, I have some Home batteries using a Solis Hybrid inverter and this also needs a ct clamp and there is no wireless option, not an issue at all with just the zappi and eddi products but just in case you were looking at batteries, granted other invererters may have wireless options but just wanted to let you know.

i really like the zappi, generally in the winter months we use it as a normal charger with the timer set at night then in the summer the car is usually at home at least 3 days which is normally almost all our usage covered off pure solar.

eddi Is worth conaidering if you have a tank for hot water and dont have batteries but it is not cheap and I really only got it because I got a good deal from my installer as they were doing it all at once.
OK, so they're using cat cable, but just for the copper wire. Makes sense.

Pondering a home battery but when I last looked they were quite expensive, I'm waiting for the cost to drop.

Very helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just seen from your other posts that you have a leaf?
have you seen ovo V2g, no idea about solar but if it is available then it I a real smart bit of tech.
Interesting, yes I will check that out. Ta

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another for Zappi.

I have an Immersun2 diverting to hot water immersion heater. Currently using a Harvi to wirelessly monitor the import/export and also the power going to the Immersun allowing me to prioritise the Tesla over the hot water. All works great and currently working from home with the car trickle charging from solar for redeployment somewhere next week.

·
Registered
293 Posts
eMonEVSE here: The charge-point connects to the local network via WiFi (no wired network option sadly). eMonPi monitors the solar, and it also sits on the network (WiFi or Wired).

Because my charge-point is a long way from the house I've placed a WiFi repeater as close as I can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts