Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an iON for 10 months and although it said I'd get 93 miles fully charged (still does on the Peugeot website) I have never got more than 66 miles, far less when I use the heating and/or windscreen wipers - often 33 miles or less. I'm not so heavy, normal really, and there's usually only one person in the car - me. London driving only.

I daren't go further in case I can't get back. Peugeot say this is to be expected and normal, "within the real world range and parameters we would expect given the factors mentioned above and align with difference between real world range and NEDC test figures quoted by other electric vehicle manufacturers". It seems crazy low mileage to me, especially in these colder days when I have the heating on.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or an issue with this? What did you do?

There';s something wrong to me about having a fully-charged EV and only being able to go 15m from home to be able to get back again.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We have done trips of 150 miles from home in CZero, but need planning, time for lunch stops and a book. Currently commuting 50 miles round trip (without charging). This is only possible because car has additional paraffin fired heater.

Getting back to your case, there are several things to do;

1/ investigate battery condition

2/ get used to public charging

3/ recalibrate the range meter

4/ get used to being cold, or use seat heater only

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have done trips of 150 miles from home in CZero, but need planning, time for lunch stops and a book. Currently commuting 50 miles round trip (without charging). This is only possible because car has additional paraffin fired heater.
So you stop to charge on those longer journeys? I can get 50 miles if I don't use the heater! But it seem so different from the advertised distances, even allowing for the distances quoted being under perfect driving conditions. 60% and as low as 30% starting off fully charged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Getting back to your case, there are several things to do;

1/ investigate battery condition

2/ get used to public charging

3/ recalibrate the range meter

4/ get used to being cold, or use seat heater only
All good suggestions - thank you. It's at the dealership now for a third time to investigate the issue - I'll make sure they look at all those things. (I am registered with several public charging networks and haven't needed to use the seat heater yet - just need to keep the windows from steaming up so I've kept the windows open despite the chill!.)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Charging on journeys is done via DC Chademo port on passenger side of the car. From 30 to 80% will take anything from 60 to 25 minutes depending on whether battery is cold or warm ( warm is better)

Get yourself a ODBLINK dongle and download Canion App for Android phones so you can see what the battery and car is doing.

Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charging on journeys is done via DC Chademo port on passenger side of the car. From 30 to 80% will take anything from 60 to 25 minutes depending on whether battery is cold or warm ( warm is better)

Get yourself a ODBLINK dongle and download Canion App for Android phones so you can see what the battery and car is doing.

Regards
Thank you. Can you get the same app for ios? But as I say, my concern is not how to charge but whether the distance which can be travelled is right - especially if there is shown to be nothing wrong with the battery. I'm hoping that other people have had the same trouble when they bought a new one and what they did about it - I guess I have to decide whether to take it back and get a different EV with more staying power.

·
Registered
502 Posts
NEDC figures are known to be overestimates. NEDC is being replaced by WLTP, but is still quoted for older models. Even WLTP needs to be regarded cautiously: I believe it’s calibrated at a standard 25 C ambient temperature and the truth is that in cold weather as you head towards 0 C, battery range decreases markedly (as much as 20 - 30%), and the need for lights, heating, wipers etc doesn’t help.

I hope you can squeeze a bit more out of your ion, 33 miles does seem low but realistically it is very much designed as a city car only, if you want to go further you need a bigger battery or an alternative such as a PHEV.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
When we had ours we got 60 miles in summer running it down to last bar. 50 in winter keeping to 50mph max. The best we ever got and only the once was 75 miles in perfect conditions. The heated seat by the way will use virtually nothing.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
By "new one" do you mean purchased new from Peugeot UK?

If so, it's worth checking the door jamb stickers and the VIn number to work out the date of manufacture. If need be post on this forum your Vin number within a range of say 10 numbers. If the date of manufacture is say 2 years prior to the car being sold as "new" and the battery has not been stored at reasonable conditions, some capacity may have been lost.

Note in your shoes I would be buying cheapish Android device not even smart phone, dongle as advised and download Canion so you get some insight to battery cells, all 80 of them.

Start a new thread, Beginner advice for Canion for iMiev and clones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thnank
Of course, whatever you do, do not post your actual VIN on a public forum. Even posting something close will likely compromise someone else's vehicle. So please don't do it.
you, all. That''s all very interesting and it sounds like, as we have a newly built one (1st quarter 2018; we took delivery in April 2018 from Peugeot UK), we are getting what is usual. A bigger battery, in that case. We do only want to use it in the City, maybe within the M25 at most.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
why the freaking out over VIN numbers? Its publicly visible on almost every car on the road... What exactly is going to happen if he posts it online? Furthermore, to ascertain build date he can simply leave off the last 5 digits and then its not remotely identifiable.

Its pretty typical in an EV that you'll get about 2/3rds NEDC range in summer and 1/2 NEDC range in winter.

So based on Peugeots 93mile NEDC rating, i would expect about 60miles summer and about 45 winter.

Also bear in mind, especially in winter, 10 4 mile journeys will use significantly more energy than one 40mile journey.

Dont forget, the same thing happens with petrol cars. They'll claim you'll get 47mpg, and you'll actually get 35, its still massively less, but you dont get the further reduction in winter as the cars heated with waste heat, and the tanks big enough that a 30% reduction in range doesnt actually matter.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Nothing is wrong with the car. It is performing as expected in winter.

Do check the tyres are fully inflated, and use the absolute minimum of heating - it really drinks power - but you aren't going to gain a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing is wrong with the car. It is performing as expected in winter.

Do check the tyres are fully inflated, and use the absolute minimum of heating - it really drinks power - but you aren't going to gain a lot.
Thank you for taking the time to advise me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Last week I was doing a longer commute than usual, Freezing in the morning though warmer in the afternoon but still a cold battery. So starting at 100% my roundtrip of 52 miles was easily achievable keeping the max speed to > 60mph though being rush hour is was typically much slower. 95% major A roads. Stll a bar or two left after booting it the last few miles as the roads clear :)

The furthest I've taken it was ~70 miles [50mph max on the A1] late last year so still chilly.

Try not to use heater on longer trips relying solely on heated seat covers as they do nothing to range.

I don't normally take the car to it's limits as so many chargers around and all it takes is an unexpected event to really screw you over.

Just to add, if i'm driving on the A1 with my bike on the back of the hatch at say up to 60 with headwind, rain etc then range plumets :(

Great little cars but public charging on route is your friend or you wll be pretty limited.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
AB, are you sure you're car was manufactured in Jan 2018. Did it come with remote heating controller, that would be a good indicator. When I looked up my car, it was manufactured 18 months before it was sold as new

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now yo
AB, are you sure you're car was manufactured in Jan 2018. Did it come with remote heating controller, that would be a good indicator. When I looked up my car, it was manufactured 18 months before it was sold as new
Now you ask, I'll check again. No remote heating controller. I was certainly made to wait 6 months from deposit to delivery (September 2017 to delivery in March 2018). I was told it was being made to order in Japan (Mitsubishi). I will get the number and ask - it's at the dealership as we speak. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is here an option to put in a bigger battery from Peugeot for the iON? The dealership people don't really seem to know anything when I ask and "will get back to me" (but never do). Does anyone have experience of this, if there is? I guess a bigger battery will be that much heavier, too.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I have had an iON for 10 months and although it said I'd get 93 miles fully charged (still does on the Peugeot website) I have never got more than 66 miles, far less when I use the heating and/or windscreen wipers - often 33 miles or less. I'm not so heavy, normal really, and there's usually only one person in the car - me. London driving only.

I daren't go further in case I can't get back. Peugeot say this is to be expected and normal, "within the real world range and parameters we would expect given the factors mentioned above and align with difference between real world range and NEDC test figures quoted by other electric vehicle manufacturers". It seems crazy low mileage to me, especially in these colder days when I have the heating on.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or an issue with this? What did you do?

There';s something wrong to me about having a fully-charged EV and only being able to go 15m from home to be able to get back again.
A friend has an Ion and he uses an after-market heated seat cover to reduce the heating load.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts