Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're heading home tomorrow and it's 218 miles to Cambridge services.
I'm assuming that if I drive sensibly it should be quite straight forward to do that without needing a splash and dash earlier on?

The first 70 miles are single carriageway so that should slow me down and keep the efficiency up but with my normal motorway driving I get nearer 3.2 than the 3.8 I needed to average, and the car will be fully loaded.
Driving around this week I'm getting 4-5mi/kWh averages so can see it should be possible for the first 70 miles at least but will it mean driving at 60mph all the time?

I want to get to the Ionity with a low soc and actually experience how quick 100kw charging can be and this is the first time I've had a chance.

Any thoughts?
@Tooks are you seeing over 220 miles on your longer trips now while having the acc set at 70mph?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm assuming that if I drive sensibly it should be quite straight forward to do that without needing a splash and dash earlier on?

The first 70 miles are single carriageway so that should slow me down and keep the efficiency up but with my normal motorway driving I get nearer 3.2 than the 3.8 I needed to average, and the car will be fully loaded.
Driving around this week I'm getting 4-5mi/kWh averages so can see it should be possible for the first 70 miles at least but will it mean driving at 60mph all the time?

I want to get to the Ionity with a low soc and actually experience how quick 100kw charging can be and this is the first time I've had a chance.

Any thoughts?
@Tooks are you seeing over 220 miles on your longer trips now while having the acc set at 70mph?
If you do 60mph all the way, you'll get your 220 miles. If you're doing 70mph, it'll be touch and go.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts

Any thoughts?
On my last Thursday evening trip back, it was around 20c, no wind and rain, and with my average speed over the 180 miles (61 mph) I was on course to get 230 miles or so.

That average speed was achieved with me aiming for the speed limits, which was predominantly 70 mph dual carriageways and the A1 southbound. It was congested at times, but the ID.3 certainly loves the warmer weather. I averaged 3.9 on that trip, by capping my speed at 68 mph indicated then I get 4+ in similar conditions.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I still don't know how you manage that, when I try driving a little slower it doesn't seem to help much and I don't get above 3.5 on main roads.
It sounds like it should be OK though. I'm expecting my average speed will be nearer 50 or 55.
I'll report back later.

It will be interesting to hear the maximum range people are actually getting on longer runs.
It's rare I drive mine beyond its range and very rare that I get the opportunity to drive to the limit knowing there will be a working charger when I arrive.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Thanks, I still don't know how you manage that, when I try driving a little slower it doesn't seem to help much and I don't get above 3.5 on main roads.
It sounds like it should be OK though. I'm expecting my average speed will be nearer 50 or 55.
I'll report back later.

It will be interesting to hear the maximum range people are actually getting on longer runs.
It's rare I drive mine beyond its range and very rare that I get the opportunity to drive to the limit knowing there will be a working charger when I arrive.
I find I do better not using ACC, and D mode rather than B. My Bridgestones are also at 41psi but other than that no special technique other than restraining my right foot!

Once I’ve got a range margin over my destination, then I find that driving at over 70 mph indicated gradually reduces it, whereas driving at an indicated 68 maintains it or even grows it a little.

It’s a very narrow window, but like any EV the slower the better for efficiency generally. I tend to drive to my ‘reserve’ mostly to be honest, if I’ve got plenty of range in hand then I generally up the pace a bit! If it’s looking a bit tight like it did on the same trips over winter in dreadful conditions then I go slower.

It’s one of the aspects of driving an EV I like, that of managing the energy, but you’ll never find me in the inside lane doing 56 unless something has gone badly wrong. The EVs I see on the roads are generally ones I’m overtaking…

·
Registered
543 Posts
Like Tooks, I was on for a 235 ish 'tank' the other day. Drive to the limits, mix of motorways, A roads and hilly lanes with the aircon on. D mode and let the car do some anticipating regen for me. It was just me and my laptop in the car but putting the wife and a dog in doesn't really seem to affect it but then I'm a bit more gentle with hound on board!

Maintaining momentum and keeping an eye on tyre pressures seems to be key. Suitably impressed considering I wasn't aiming for efficiency.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I did an epic 276 miles yesterday, picking up my second ID3 from Gloucester and driving it back up to Newcastle. I got to around 218 miles with an 34 miles left before the harassment to charge became unbearable.

180 miles done at 70-75mph. Do bear in mind though that the first 40 miles was at a crawl as the M5 was chocka. 4.2 miles per kWh until my top up charge to 120 miles range and 58 miles left to do - do 80 home from therein and overall dropped to 4.1 miles per kWh.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a slow start on the A5, average speed was 33mph for the first 80 miles but I was on my best behaviour and averaged 5mi/kWh. It does show that the WLTP range is achievable, even by me

Once we were on dual carriageway the speed picked up put the efficiency dropped slowly.
I started by setting the acc at 65 then increased it to 68 as the distance left was about 50 miles more than I needed. Its was still hovering around 4.5 and by the time I got on the motorway I was driving at 70 and ended up increasing it so the car was showing 72.

We got to the charger with the car showing 210 miles driven at 49mph average and 3.9 mi/kWh. The car was showing 11 miles left.
If I'd driven at 65 I expect there would have been 30+ miles left.

I did notice the range dropping quite quickly at some points once the battery bar went yellow, same as I've seen with ice cars, and I think there was plenty in reserve. The power bar was still 3/4 blue and there was plenty of acceleration. I wouldn't want to test it away from home but it was very different to the Golf, and I think the Niro, that are protecting the battery with only 10 miles left. I know I've read on here that there's quite a buffer once it gets to 0 before it stops. I don't want to test it though as I did that in the Niro and it stopped about half a mile from home, less than a mile after it showed 0 miles left.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
628 Posts
We had a slow start on the A5, average speed was 33mph for the first 80 miles but I was on my best behaviour and averaged 5mi/kWh. It does show that the WLTP range is achievable, even by me

Once we were on dual carriageway the speed picked up put the efficiency dropped slowly.
I started by setting the acc at 65 then increased it to 68 as the distance left was about 50 miles more than I needed. Its was still hovering around 4.5 and by the time I got on the motorway I was driving at 70 and ended up increasing it so the car was showing 72.

We got to the charger with the car showing 210 miles driven at 49mph average and 3.9 mi/kWh. The car was showing 11 miles left.
If I'd driven at 65 I expect there would have been 30+ miles left.

I did notice the range dropping quite quickly at some points once the battery bar went yellow, same as I've seen with ice cars, and I think there was plenty in reserve. The power bar was still 3/4 blue and there was plenty of acceleration. I wouldn't want to test it away from home but it was very different to the Golf, and I think the Niro, that are protecting the battery with only 10 miles left. I know I've read on here that there's quite a buffer once it gets to 0 before it stops. I don't want to test it though as I did that in the Niro and it stopped about half a mile from home, less than a mile after it showed 0 miles left.
I have driven the car in turtle mod and down to 1%. It still seemed to drive relatively normally. Although tbf you are going to take it pretty carefully at that point!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I did notice the range dropping quite quickly at some points once the battery bar went yellow, same as I've seen with ice cars, and I think there was plenty in reserve. The power bar was still 3/4 blue and there was plenty of acceleration.
There's definitely some of that going on. When I stopped for a charge, I put 20kWh in. The range increase was substantially more that 20kWh should've given, so I can only assume the car was exaggerating how low the battery was to panic you into charging.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I find I do better not using ACC, and D mode rather than B. My Bridgestones are also at 41psi but other than that no special technique other than restraining my right foot!

Once I’ve got a range margin over my destination, then I find that driving at over 70 mph indicated gradually reduces it, whereas driving at an indicated 68 maintains it or even grows it a little.

It’s a very narrow window, but like any EV the slower the better for efficiency generally. I tend to drive to my ‘reserve’ mostly to be honest, if I’ve got plenty of range in hand then I generally up the pace a bit! If it’s looking a bit tight like it did on the same trips over winter in dreadful conditions then I go slower.

It’s one of the aspects of driving an EV I like, that of managing the energy, but you’ll never find me in the inside lane doing 56 unless something has gone badly wrong. The EVs I see on the roads are generally ones I’m overtaking…
Oh really? Just knocking the ACC back from 70mph to 68mph really makes that much difference to the efficiency? Think I’ll do that from now on then! Not really because I need much more range as I usually want a stop by the time the battery is getting low in any case, but might save a few quid on rapid charging if I don’t have to charge as much when I do stop!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Oh really? Just knocking the ACC back from 70mph to 68mph really makes that much difference to the efficiency? Think I’ll do that from now on then! Not really because I need much more range as I usually want a stop by the time the battery is getting low in any case, but might save a few quid on rapid charging if I don’t have to charge as much when I do stop!
Yep, that’s what I’ve found during the 286 hours I’ve driven the car now 😂 (Don’t worry, I’m not that nerdy, just divided my mileage by the long term average speed!).

Of course, I also do the opposite which is drive how I like and do a few minutes splash and dash whilst I get a coffee or something.

I always said 200 miles range would be ideal for me, and is a good balance between sweating the asset and carrying around way more battery than I generally need.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bringing my 2 purchased cars home might possibly be the longest trips they'll do this year at 240 and 276 miles respectively. I estimate I'll only charge away from home 2 or 3 times a year. Charging away from home is (relatively) expensive and a PITA vs charging at home on Octopus GO.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you've got the access. If I were living in a flat with no off street parking I could have a charger installed at, I'd still be driving ICE.
I always used to say that, but the ONTO guys like @Bill N have recently made me think that people with no off street parking but a nearby rapid charger could get into EV life by getting an ONTO lease.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I always used to say that, but the ONTO guys like @Bill N have recently made me think that people with no off street parking but a nearby rapid charger could get into EV life by getting an ONTO lease.
It's less about the cost than the inconvenience, I think. It's still cheaper to run an EV than an ICE if you have to use public chargers all the time, but having to sit & wait for the car to charge is the biggest issue. If you're commuting in the car & have to charge every day or every other day, you are effectively adding 30-60 minutes to your commute.

My son is in the middle of buying a flat at the moment & there's no rapid charger on his commuting route to work, so he is probably going to go back from his ID.3 to an ICE. He'd have to go quite a bit out of his way in rush hour traffic & hope a charger is free when he gets there. He did start off by looking at places to buy where he could install a charger, but there was nothing close to his price range.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It's less about the cost than the inconvenience, I think. It's still cheaper to run an EV than an ICE if you have to use public chargers all the time, but having to sit & wait for the car to charge is the biggest issue. If you're commuting in the car & have to charge every day or every other day, you are effectively adding 30-60 minutes to your commute.

My son is in the middle of buying a flat at the moment & there's no rapid charger on his commuting route to work, so he is probably going to go back from his ID.3 to an ICE. He'd have to go quite a bit out of his way in rush hour traffic & hope a charger is free when he gets there. He did start off by looking at places to buy where he could install a charger, but there was nothing close to his price range.
Yeah, still doesn’t work for everyone as you say. Was thinking of recommending ONTO to a mate, but he doesn’t have a rapid charger near enough that it’d be convenient for him I don’t think.

It’s a shame for your son though! I know I wouldn’t want to go back to an ICE having experienced an EV now. Hopefully infrastructure for people without off-road parking improves and he can get back to EV ownership at some point!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
160 Posts
If you've got the access. If I were living in a flat with no off street parking I could have a charger installed at, I'd still be driving ICE.
I don't have off street parking and don't like the idea of trailing a cable across pavements so don't currently charge at home. I have public charging options near home and work. I have done nearly 3000 miles for free using a mixture of fast and rapid chargers at shops and local council car parks. My trip to work is 12 miles each way so I usually charge twice a week, as I'm only travelling to work and the shops in the current climate. Once things get back to normal I'm expecting to do a few more miles at weekends.

I don't mind the 30-45 mins wait for a rapid charge, I usually read emails and surf the web. The fast charges are done while I'm shopping so not waiting around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts