Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of charge rate would push a charger into the "rapid" zone for you?

Anything about 7 kWh or 20 kWh, 40...?

Will this change as batteries get bigger, or is "rapid rapid" no matter how big the battery it's charging?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
100KW something that can charge my car in 10min or less, 30/40 min is to slow, the superchargers are 135kw I believe if I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
In my mind, if the charge time is less than a quarter of the drive time, it's rapid, half the drive time is fast, slower than that is slow.

So in Jon's picture, 30 mins will give 165 miles, which will take about two hours to drive off, perfect.
For a Leaf on a rapid where 30 minutes MIGHT give 60 minutes of driving if you're a slow driver, not so much.

The future is ~200kw charge rates IMO. 10 minutes (about the quickest I've been able to run into a services, use the loo, and run back out) of 200kw gives you about 100 miles of range. If you really need more than that then a 20 minute stop to also grab a cup of tea isn't a problem, if you're going to be on the road for another 200 miles/3 hours...

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
It's a shame I will never be able to afford one, iv seen 2 in MiltonKeynes now real nice
Never say Never! A new S Class costs £67k+. But you can buy one for £15k if you don't mind having one that's 5 years old. I expect Model S prices to be similar once they are 5 years old :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Some users have reported seeing 400 miles however the charger begins to ramp down after that, 330 is the highest I have seen so far

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
What kind of charge rate would push a charger into the "rapid" zone for you?
Ecotricty call 22kW medium. ~50kW they are calling fast.

With our LEAF, I'd call 50kW rapid. 7kW takes hours to charge the car, it certainly isn't rapid.

With a 80kWh Tesla 22kW isn't even medium. The car takes as long on 22kW as our Leaf does at 7.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Looks like you just plugged in (given 0 miles added) , had it had time to ramp up, my photo was taken about 3 mins after the charge starting
No, was after three minutes charging and is what happens when another Tesla is charging at Birmingham...

I was still charging after 1.5 hours on the 'supercharger'

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
No, was after three minutes charging and is what happens when another Tesla is charging at Birmingham...
So given its reporting 21kw and your seeing 72miles per hour, that 1.2 miles per minute your charging, so your + miles would show at least 3 possibly 4 after 3 mins not 0,

Also if there was another car there when you arrived and he was charging he would be allocated 80% of the charge rate across the two stalls (superchargers are pairs of stalls on a single charger) so you would get 20% until he begins the final ramp down when you should ramp up. so if he was taking about 96kw (80% of 120) that would leave you about 24 if the supercharger was limited to 120kw (which I believe most are)

Last time I was in Birmingham I was seeing about 250miles per hour (I was 70% full when arriving)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts