Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some bugger proved they can’t reverse past a parked car earlier. Wing mirror completely detached breaking whatever they put inside the ‘arm’ for strength.

Drove off leaving no clues other than what you can see.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Jeeez, no camera surveillance available? Parking-ticket machine that may have a list of reg details?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parked outside my home. It’s a cul de sac but because there’s more cars parked than were ever imagined when the estate was built, the turning area is full so everyone has to use the road that goes behind the 5 houses in our row. Usually even the huge dust carts can turn without any event.

Some delivery driver was in too much of a hurry to take care. Smashed the car hard too.

A neighbour has a camera, hopefully they record events for a day.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
81 Posts
Frustrating. Accidents happen, and can't believe the driver wouldn't have heard it. What are going to do, claim on your own insurance or pay for fix?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll have to be an insurance claim, 3 panels are also scratched which means a whole new wing mirror plus all housings and support arm, paintwork on 2 doors and front wing.

Now I've gotten over the initial rage, it's only a chunk of metal nobody was hurt and life moves on quickly. However, I can't believe that someone didn't realise they hit the car hard enough to break that off so thoroughly.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
However, I can't believe that someone didn't realise they hit the car hard enough to break that off so thoroughly.
The cynic in me says that they probably did realise, and made a quick getaway.

A lot of the delivery vans around here are pretty banged up, and the local Facebook group has a lot of posts with people complaining about their parked car getting hit by something but no note being left... makes you wonder... :unsure:🕵️‍♂️

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lots of delivery drivers for the likes of Amazon etc get paid per parcel drop and have to make an extraordinary number of deliveries a day to make a reasonable income, there's a good chance they decided not to waste time looking back at the damage done. Amazon/Yodel/Hermes drivers round here drive like madmen and the vans are always beat up, don't mean to tar everyone with the same brush, I'm sure some are innocent!

·
Registered
465 Posts
A very drastic cure for a seized mirror ;)

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
That is terrible behaviour - they must have been aware that they did it. I do wonder whether the terrible design that allows the mechanism to seize up rather than knock back may have contributed - depends on which direction the blow came from. On the plus side - if the indicator repeater hanging down is not smashed you have a valuable salvage item there. List price is about £120 even with 25% discount.

Re your question about strength - the inner pylon is made of a low quality zinc alloy - sometimes known as 'monkey metal' - used for Dinky toys etc - so not intrinsically strong and terribly prone to corrosion, which is why the mirrors seize up. There is a Youtube video of a guy in Canada whose mirrors almost fell off because the pylons corroded away so much. Looking at your picture I can't determine whether your pylon broke or whether it pulled the three bolts out of the doorskin.

There is a breaker on ebay at present - passenger door looks OK (needs painting of course) although the indicator has some masking tape on it - maybe useful if your indicator is still OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts