Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have colleagues at work, your friends or family been interested, impressed or critical about your electric car purchase?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Those who know me know me too well to try and be anything other than interested, impressed or jokingly critical when I'm talking to them, as I'm honest about it and open to the drawbacks. I got one because I wanted one, I love how they drive and if pressed I know a fair bit about "regular" cars so can talk on "their level" I guess.

Those who've been in my LEAF have always left impressed and positive. Even if somehow it's "not for them".

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
.....all the above. But mainly interested.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes, mainly similar to @Paul. Even today I had a couple of work colleagues in it and as usual the first comment was "ohh it's like a real car inside". 2 miles down the road, you get the "oohhh it's quiet and smooth".
Then after hoofing it a bit you get the "oohhh it's quite quick".
Lots of interest.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No-one reacted badly at all. My sister wrote a series of limericks and backronyms around the theme of milk floats, my Dad was firmly convinced that the 'free ride' of public charging probably wouldn't last the 3 year PCP term (good call, Dad!) and my Mum loved the quiet, smooth ride. They did worry when the range dropped in year 3 and we struggled to make it home from Leicester back to Milton Keynes in the winter but now we have a 2014 Leaf, that shouldn't be so bad.

Generally, I've had nothing but curiosity and positive-sounding noises from people at work. But they know I'm pro-new technology - I converted half of them to using Macs when I joined so they're used to me being gadget-obsessed ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Gay mobile, golf cart, ugly piece of shit, some of the choice comments at work. General disbelief that it will go (or at least show on the dash) 103mph, incredulity that it can achieve that quite quickly.

These negative comments though are far outweighed with the usual "really, no petrol? You can charge here at work for free? No tax? No gears? No oil changes? 0% BIK?" And of course for those that have actually been in it, they love it.

Among friends and family, generally positive with a bit of "wouldn't work for me though".

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
friends/family think it's great (leaf) with the caveat of long distance travel. I don't think they're so keen on all the charging stops

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Neighbours have commented on the charging point, all giving me the impression of seeing the penny drop. Only colleague I mention my intentions to seemed to find it completely normal. I had a general conversation with other colleagues about electric cars and they seemed all convinced that was the way to go for cars so....

·
Registered
4 Posts
My family loved it, sister was a bit dubious telling me she heard that you need to leave plenty on space at junctions and roundabouts....it all changed when her head was pinned to the headrest at the first roundabout. :eek:

A colleague laughed hard until he heard my reasoning and the fact that he pays £40 a week in parking alone....enjoy. I pay heehaw my friend. No tax, no fuel, no parking. Glasgow City council and my employer pay the lot. Just press the button and it goes like [email protected] off a shiny shovel. What's not to like!

And my wife...welI, I need to fight with her to get a shot at the weekend and at night, I've been told to look at replacing the ICE ASAP. I might hold back to get the Model 3 when it's released. ICE are on their last legs in our house now and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My family loved it, sister was a bit dubious telling me she heard that you need to leave plenty on space at junctions and roundabouts....it all changed when her head was pinned to the headrest at the first roundabout. :eek:

A colleague laughed hard until he heard my reasoning and the fact that he pays £40 a week in parking alone....enjoy. I pay heehaw my friend. No tax, no fuel, no parking. Glasgow City council and my employer pay the lot. Just press the button and it goes like [email protected] off a shiny shovel. What's not to like!

And my wife...welI, I need to fight with her to get a shot at the weekend and at night, I've been told to look at replacing the ICE ASAP. I might hold back to get the Model 3 when it's released. ICE are on their last legs in our house now and I couldn't be happier.
Had my Aunt and Uncle in the Zoe last weekend,and they were well impressed that you could have a conversation inside..Even the BIL,who was raising the "What about the battery" argument at first,gave her some praise after a lift home!

·
1,547 Posts
I've been driving EVs for about two and a half years, but they've been around California for over a decade, so it's not as rare as other parts of the world.

I also work in tech, so folks are pretty progressive with the latest gadgets, so, I've had pretty supportive and amazed looks.

The most impressive response was when my 60+ year old mother picked up a Leaf of her own last year..

I think they were most impressed with how many miles I've been able to put into my old ActiveE, considering its range limitations and lack of DC charging (started at 7.2 kW and was debated down to around 5.0 kW later in its test lease.). Everyone was pretty impressed with the Roadster and by the time we got the S, they kind of expected us to go that route.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I made a new gym buddy last week. We got chatting and it turned out I live a few miles up the road from her, so I ended up giving her lifts home after classes.

She didn't even notice that the Leaf was electric - I had to point it out! She just thought it was an extremely quiet car.

In work, the reactions have varied but have all been positive. One guy actually bought a Leaf - outright - almost specifically for the free on-site parking & charging. But he was a bit of an arse, and his contract wasn't renewed two months later. He's now working in London, I'm sure it still makes sense (congestion charge etc).

Family have all been thoroughly impressed. Everyone always ends up saying the same thing though: "80 miles isn't very much though, is it?"

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
Disinterested. Only one person has asked about it. The few people at work who've actually ridden in our Leaf are all impressed. None of them are about to go out and buy one.

Purchase price, range, and complete disinterest in EVs are the main reasons.

Debbie occasionally meets with decision makers. When possible she mentions adding EVs support to a proposed project. So far only Ieaun Wyn Jones showed any real interest. He was very positive.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Was grabbing a charge at my mum's today and the local MP was on his rounds. He said he was admiring the car and explained there was a Volt at the House of Commons. We had a 5 min chat about EVs and I told him how there was a lack of charging in Lancaster, Cumbria etc.

Doubt it will make much difference, but as they say, 'every little helps...'.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
541 Posts
Was grabbing a charge at my mum's today and the local MP was on his rounds. He said he was admiring the car and explained there was a Volt at the House of Commons. We had a 5 min chat about EVs and I told him how there was a lack of charging in Lancaster, Cumbria etc.

Doubt it will make much difference, but as they say, 'every little helps...'.
Good job! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Neighbours - very interested, like the idea, want to know the financials, (probably due to where I live)

Family and Friends - very cynical but easily won over with reality

At work - total disinterest, weird comments like where do you put the fuel, what if you blow a fuse, you must have money to burn. I find these the most frustrating when the point out they commute 30 miles each way every day in heavy traffic and they fill up every 3 days!

At rapid chargers - total opposite ends of the spectrum with nothing in between, people who are enthusiastic and interested and then about twice a month a random will come past and suggest I am killing the planet with heavy metals or getting a free ride at his expense.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just booked a B&B in charging desert of East Yorkshire, not even a ZCW point close enough.

Lady owner of a very nice pile answers and I ask if we can plug EVSE in, answer was yes but only after some mild persuasion.

She started by saying "Oh we are against electric cars".
I asked why and she said;

"Well I was a Science teacher and so I know that they cause a lot more pollution than other cars because of where the electricity comes from".:rolleyes:

I said well ours comes mainly from our roof to which she replied;

" Oh we are against solar panels as well, they cause a lot more pollution to make than they save because they are Sooooo inefficient".:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No offense to teachers but there is some substance to this one liner;
You can tell a teacher but you can't tell them much;).

Yorkshire folk have a reputation for speaking their minds, no matter how tiny.

Generally people are interested in truth. You see this at a rapid as many pace round the car and charger.
I think the public are curious and reluctant to expose their ignorance normally and that stops some from asking the questions they would really like answered.

Hopefully that means the more sociable and ready to engage sort will be the ones we meet back at the chargers.
They are the ones that I offer to take for a spin round.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts