Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I'm new here!

My ICE car (an A4) goes back in the summer, and so I'm starting to look around for what to get next, and I like the idea of going electric (the Mrs likes the Ipace and so do I).

My (hopelessly naieve!) question to all you old-hands is how exactly are home charging points installed? My meter and fuse-box etc are all in the cupboard under the stairs. Does extra cabling have to be run from this to the outside of the house? If so, I can only imagine this is done by either taking up the wooden flooring and floorboards and running it underneath - probably not a realistic option, or putting in some sort of plastic conduit to run along the skirting boards (which will look hideous and won't get the nod of approval from my better half). Or is there some way it can be done from existing mains circuits but still be 7KW (it is safe to assume my knowledge of electricity ends before it begins...)

Would be interested to hear experiences from others who have had it done.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts
It will need it’s own dedicated wiring.

Don’t worry about getting the cable laid - electricians are pretty resourceful.

Best bet is to get a quote and someone will do a survey to understand what you need done. Sometimes the consumer unit needs to be upgraded.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A survey is the way to go, if you are lucky enough that your power supply is next to an outside wall they could drill through the wall and run a new cable run through conduit on the outside wall.

Good luck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you want it run under the floorboards, I suggest you lift one at each end of the 'run' in advance. Electricians can't be *rsed lifting floorboards nowadays, and will just run cables on the surface.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
In order to qualify for the OLEV grant for the home charger this needs to be installed by an approved installer.
They know what is required and what to do.
OLEV website (gov.uk) will have a list of approved companies in your area.
Just give them a call and they will arrange for the rest.
England and Wales will have £500 grant and you will need to pay for the rest depending on the wall pod you will choose.
You can apply for the grant for 2 wall pod per household.
I would advise a tethered cable opposite a pod with a socket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Few things to think about there. I'm nowhere near the "getting a quote" stage, I'm still at the "deciding whether to consider an EV" stage!

Incidentally it's a terraced house so can't come along an exterior wall - that would have been a good suggestion otherwise.

Thinking about it, it might not have to go that far along the interior wall. It could probably come out the bottom step on the staircase and along, which wouldn't be too visible.

Am intending on replacing flooring/skirts at some point as well, so that's something else I can bear in mind - either not worrying about the flooring getting damaged if it's going to be re-done anyway, or one of those fancy skirting boards that are a bit hollow to hide cabling in.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I am with the guys above. The installer will want to take the quickest and easiest route. The cost of the cable is minimal so once you have had a survey and agreed where it needs to go from / to why not consider running the cable yourself or paying someone you trust to do it the way that you want and then let the installer make the connections?

·
Registered
Ioniq
666 Posts
Incidentally it's a terraced house so can't come along an exterior wall - that would have been a good suggestion otherwise.
Well in that case it's easy, hole through to next door, then out the external wall to the front, then it's not your problem! Do it while they're on holiday or something :)

Something to note is that the cable between the consumer unit and chargepoint is quite thick - ours is about the same diameter as the main feed into the house if not a bit more, so a fair bit larger than anything in the house itself, and the cable clips to hold it in place are similarly large.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Good points. Basic question. How does your current mains feed get into the house, and what is the main fuse rating. It is worth checking that there is sufficient capacity available particularly if you want to be able to charge an i-Pace effectively (7kW minimum). Your local DNO (the actual supplier, not who bills you) will be able to tell you based on your meter number, and you might need an upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points. Basic question. How does your current mains feed get into the house, and what is the main fuse rating. It is worth checking that there is sufficient capacity available particularly if you want to be able to charge an i-Pace effectively (7kW minimum). Your local DNO (the actual supplier, not who bills you) will be able to tell you based on your meter number, and you might need an upgrade.
Excellent questions, and ones I do not currently know the answers to :)

I think what I'm taking away from this is I need to look into all this a lot more carefully over the next few months!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Most modern houses have the consumer unit hidden away in a cupboard in the middle of the house. I have a detached garage which is fed from a sub consumer unit in the external meter box to a garage consumer unit with RCBO protection. If you intend to go down this route then you need to think about getting the smart meter fitted first if you want to make use of ToU tariffs. An armoured cable can take up quite a lot of room in what is already a small space.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@NeilHD ,
The cable will be probably too thick to hide behind skirting. But there is usually a void behind plaster (walls, ceilings) to run the cable.
So either you would have to channel the cable through plasterboard (walls) or buy eg endoscope (connects to mobile) and drill holes every 50-100cm. That way you can put the cable in the void behind plaster from one hole to another. Endoscope will help you to find the cable / check how to run it. It takes fair bit of time so unlikely installer / electrician will do that (in my case it took about 40hrs to do it; electrician just connected both ends to CU / charge point).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those armoured cables are not easy to handle. They're stiff and heavy and quite expensive. If you do decide to run one yourself, make sure you leave substantially more at each end than you think the electrician will need.

·
Registered
866 Posts
As long as the cable is protected with either floorboards or conduit, I don't think there is any need to use armoured.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in a mid-terraced Victorian house. I have a front drive but my consumer unit is in the kitchen at the rear of the house. The installers (shcharge) had to run a conduit across my kitchen ceiling, drill through to the living room and then run a conduit across the ceiling/wall to the wall at the front of the house. I chose a 'Elvi' unit and the total cost was £800 (including the £5000 grant deduction).
The installation guy was very good but knew nothing about the site, despite my having spend an hour or so on a Skype call with the office the week before, showing the position of everything.
He spent a lot of time trying to get the best possible siting for the conduit and the final job is visible but, as most of my house has exposed brick work and surface wiring and switches, the overall effect is not noticeable.
Next time, I will consider a local electrician and buy the charger separately. Hopefully my next house will not offer such a challenge.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I live in a mid-terraced Victorian house. I have a front drive but my consumer unit is in the kitchen at the rear of the house. The installers (shcharge) had to run a conduit across my kitchen ceiling, drill through to the living room and then run a conduit across the ceiling/wall to the wall at the front of the house. I chose a 'Elvi' unit and the total cost was £800 (including the £5000 grant deduction).
The installation guy was very good but knew nothing about the site, despite my having spend an hour or so on a Skype call with the office the week before, showing the position of everything.
He spent a lot of time trying to get the best possible siting for the conduit and the final job is visible but, as most of my house has exposed brick work and surface wiring and switches, the overall effect is not noticeable.
Next time, I will consider a local electrician and buy the charger separately. Hopefully my next house will not offer such a challenge.
If you have accessible floorboards Ian, I might be tempted to re-route the cable. You have all the paperwork already. Who's to say that the installer didn't lift the floorboards? :)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Either upstairs or down!
Armoured cable isn't required unless the cable is at mechanical risk of damage.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
As long as the cable is protected with either floorboards or conduit, I don't think there is any need to use armoured.
If one end is exposed on an outside wall it will need to be armoured. Some EVSE's have cable entry at the bottom instead of through the rear, or the hole in the wall may need to be much lower than the mounting position of the EVSE. In either case there will be a short run of cable up the exterior wall into the EVSE which must be protected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts