Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it is 5 meters, but mine is under the boot cover and has only been out twice in the last year - because I saw too many curled up cables in the gutter getting filthy and didn`t fancy handling coiling up and keeping a dirty wire in the car. So I bought a 2 meter lead which loops nicely from my charger to car without touching the ground and so keeps clean.
Seriously, think about it as an alternative to the Hyundai supplied unit, which I keep in the car only for charging away from home.

·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
47 Posts
Just wondering, as we have decided to get an untethered charger (for neatness, to keep The Boss happy…!!)
Granny Charger from control box to end is 4.65m Type 2 cable is 5.10m

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
119 Posts
To be honest I think a tethered cable is a neater solution provided it comes with storage and would be better for the boss. My Zappi has a 7 metre long cable allowing me to park either way round and still charge it, whilst the cable itself neatly wraps around the charger and stays clean to handle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
To be honest I think a tethered cable is a neater solution provided it comes with storage and would be better for the boss. My Zappi has a 7 metre long cable allowing me to park either way round and still charge it, whilst the cable itself neatly wraps around the charger and stays clean to handle.
Similar to the Pod-Point. A round charger, and the cable just spools arund it, and the plug sits in a holder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this @IanMurray. I would tend to agree, but……..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is 5 meters, but mine is under the boot cover and has only been out twice in the last year - because I saw too many curled up cables in the gutter getting filthy and didn`t fancy handling coiling up and keeping a dirty wire in the car. So I bought a 2 meter lead which loops nicely from my charger to car without touching the ground and so keeps clean.
Seriously, think about it as an alternative to the Hyundai supplied unit, which I keep in the car only for charging away from home.
Thanks for this advice @Nicam. I have told The Boss that if getting the cable out of the car becomes too much of a pain, I might need to get a second cable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the theme of cables, one of the public charge points near us (Council/New Motion) seems to have untethered, socket only access for CCS charging.

Is the Kona cable suitable for this? Or will I need to buy a separate cable for CCS rapid charging?

Is it common for rapid CCS chargers to be untethered? I had seen untethered slow charging, but hadn’t realised rapid CCS charging could be untethered as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the theme of cables, one of the public charge points near us (Council/New Motion) seems to have untethered, socket only access for CCS charging.

Is the Kona cable suitable for this? Or will I need to buy a separate cable for CCS rapid charging?

Is it common for rapid CCS chargers to be untethered? I had seen untethered slow charging, but hadn’t realised rapid CCS charging could be untethered as well.
As per your post in the other topic and the replies there, it is likely an untethered Type 2 outlet, not CCS. If so, you will need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable. Your Kona can work with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts