Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

how long can you delay taking order

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Pete Harrison 
#1 ·
Basically I want to get the insurance as cheap as possible with 21 days being the sweet spot.

If Telsa phones me on the Monday and says the car is ready for this coming Saturday how long can I push them back?

The cost of insurance is
£688 with 4 days notice
£438 with 321 days notice

what is the longest I can push back of course.

#3 ·
Basically I want to get the insurance as cheap as possible with 21 days being the sweet spot.

If Telsa phones me on the Monday and says the car is ready for this coming Saturday how long can I push them back?

The cost of insurance is
£688 with 4 days notice
£438 with 321 days notice

what is the longest I can push back of course.
You meant 21 days there yes? I'm considering similar options, my plan is to insure mine at the 21 days notice and keep my current car on a temporary policy until it sells

#4 ·
You can't keep the car uninsured even at home unless you declare it off road.
The car may be seized and towed to a compound where you will have to prove insurance and pay a release fee. You may also be liable to prosecution and a consequent fine and points on your license.

#8 ·
I took delivery at home and parked it in the garage for a couple of days to get the insurance down. 21 days might be the sweet spot, but my quote was close enough to that for waiting only a couple of days. It was something like £100 cheaper just to delay for 2 days and then another £50 less again to wait for the full 21 days.

#10 ·
Tell Tesla you’re going on holiday. Oh, wait, lockdown.

Never come across this buying insurance in advance in 40 years of driving, sounds bizarre. Personally if I had a Tesla coming I’d be so excited I’d be itching to get my hands on it, so I’d take the £250 hit which is hardly significant compared to the cost of the car. But that’s just me.

#16 ·
Tell Tesla you’re going on holiday. Oh, wait, lockdown.

Never come across this buying insurance in advance in 40 years of driving, sounds bizarre. Personally if I had a Tesla coming I’d be so excited I’d be itching to get my hands on it, so I’d take the £250 hit which is hardly significant compared to the cost of the car. But that’s just me.
Sounds like you've been paying over the odds for the last 40 years, lol. If you get a quote for insurance to start immediately it is usually significantly more expensive than even for cover starting the following day. Quotes for insurance starting 21 days later are often the cheapest, but I've found that you get most of that reduction by starting your insurance only 2 days later. So that's what I did this time as I didn't really need the car urgently. I think my saving was around £100. Not a significant amount compared to the cost of the car, but nearly 20% cheaper on the insurance premium.

#25 ·
I was questioning the principle that there were big savings to be had, car is irrelevant. Just for you I went back and did two quotes with identical terms for a brand new Tesla Model 3. First one starts tomorrow, second one in 21 days.

For £14 on a £45,000 car I’d just enjoy the car. But, whatever makes you happy is up to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.