Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about my past vehicle ownership this morning and realised that with the exception of 2 or 3 years, I've had some kind of vehicle finance for the past 15 years! Each car would have been an ex-demo around the 12-23K price range - slowly increasing each year as I progressed from hot hatches and swapped fat turbo's for leather seats and air con. :)

However, as the prices increased, the finance deals got longer. Looking back over some old paperwork (just before it went into the shredder) I have been paying on average £375 per month for the last 13 years to one car company (or finance company) or another.

That's a total of almost £60,000 spent on cars - and we are not talking anything really fancy here:- 3 x Astra's, Honda Civic and a Golf GTD.

I imagine that the Model S will be the last car I purchase for a while. I'm hoping to get 15 years out of it. Perhaps replacing the battery pack somewhere in the middle of that time.

What are other Model S owners thinking? Do you plan on keeping yours for a long time - seeing it as a bit of an investment or is it just another car which you will most likely replace in 4-5 years?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Buying a new EV without a battery degradation warranty is very high risk IMO. We know from the Plug In America study (here) that ~20% of Tesla Roadsters had their battery packs replaced in the first 4 years, and TMC (here) is reporting large numbers of Model S pack replacements in the first 2 years.

I had a 14 year plan which came very unstuck because the battery and manufacturer failed to perform as expected... buyer beware :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first post on here, so take it easy on me please.

I take delivery of my Model S in Dec 14 or Jan 15. Having read these forums and TMC forums I'm well read up on most issues relating to my car in the UK. I'm hoping to hold my car for 5 years plus is the simple answer, however as range and specs increase I can see this reducing.

Tesla really do need to offer a battery warranty similar to other manufacturers, and I'm confident that given the pressure that is currently being put on Tesla in forums over the lack of warranty, I'm confident we will see one and it will be retroactively applied as they have done in the past.

Failing that, I'm still happy to accept the limitations of li-ion batteries and the costs involved therein in order to own a Tesla Model S.

My advice is always buy the S85 then after five years when the capacity drops you will still have an equivalent of an S60 in capacity. In another five years you still have the equivalent of an S40.

Battery technology is always developing, next year is always going to be a better time to buy an EV, but I want to be part of the future today.

I never thought in my lifetime I would drive a car like the Tesla Model S, so I can only say thank you to every company that has pushed EVs to where we are now.

The ICE age is over, welcome to the EV age.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Welcome Rluner, how come there's a one month gap between your delivery dates?

I agree what you said there, I was firmly in the ICE car camp, thinking no matter how advance or fast the EV would go, it will never beat the sport car exhaust note, but after I took my first test drive in the BMW i3, I was converted.

Tesla is now a force to be reckoned with now(I think), every major manufacturers will have to take Tesla seriously, lets hope this will drive for better EVs in the future, rather than a token 80miles EVs.

ICE cars are so prehistoric!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gap in my dates are because Tesla are saying Dec, but I notice on forums the date getting dropped back a month.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So I was thinking about my past vehicle ownership this morning and realised that with the exception of 2 or 3 years, I've had some kind of vehicle finance for the past 15 years! Each car would have been an ex-demo around the 12-23K price range - slowly increasing each year as I progressed from hot hatches and swapped fat turbo's for leather seats and air con. :)

However, as the prices increased, the finance deals got longer. Looking back over some old paperwork (just before it went into the shredder) I have been paying on average £375 per month for the last 13 years to one car company (or finance company) or another.

That's a total of almost £60,000 spent on cars - and we are not talking anything really fancy here:- 3 x Astra's, Honda Civic and a Golf GTD.

I imagine that the Model S will be the last car I purchase for a while. I'm hoping to get 15 years out of it. Perhaps replacing the battery pack somewhere in the middle of that time.

What are other Model S owners thinking? Do you plan on keeping yours for a long time - seeing it as a bit of an investment or is it just another car which you will most likely replace in 4-5 years?
The longest I kept a car for was 7 years, and that was W124 Merc 300E, back in the 80s and all others I had never lasted more than 2 years, most of them were brand new as well, I wouldn't want to work out how much I've spent! It'll probably depress me....

How much would a battery pack cost for the Tesla?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I've planned on chopping mine in at 3 years old. Though I'm not tied to that date.

I'm sure the market will move on, more than likely with some more competition in the high range/high end BEV space, maybe we'll see a P120D, maybe there will be an insane performance model III (my biggest hope). Soon enough something will come along that will tempt me out of my car, and then it will be a matter of working out the figures given the market value of my car at the time.

I have a similar dilemma with my Lotus. I had planned on keeping it forever as there is nothing else in the niche, and the new ones offer so little improvement. However I'm watching a new car called a Zenos E10, with very keen interest at the moment. Test drive booked later this month to see if it will tempt me out of my Elise!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I am looking at 5 years min, although may upgrade sooner if something really compelling comes along. I would have liked AWD, but I think the cost to change will far outweigh any benefit. Plus, happy to give the early adopters plenty of time to debug that and driver assist :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW -- I'm going to run my Model S into the ground. I got into a reasonably serious accident last year; while it was nothing that a good body shop couldn't fully address, the fact of the accident and subsequent repairs dropped the resale value of my Model S substantially. I'm perfectly happy with my Model S as is, although if I were to order a new one I would get the S85D. But, then again, the price has risen substantially since I ordered mine in August 2012, delivered December 2012.

Will the battery degrade? Sure. I'm down from range charges of 272 miles when new to 252 miles today (nearly 2 years and 26,000 miles later). I'm not sure how much of this loss is hardware vs software. But nonetheless I expect to be able to happily drive my car for another 6 years.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
FWIW -- I'm going to run my Model S into the ground. I got into a reasonably serious accident last year; while it was nothing that a good body shop couldn't fully address, the fact of the accident and subsequent repairs dropped the resale value of my Model S substantially. I'm perfectly happy with my Model S as is, although if I were to order a new one I would get the S85D. But, then again, the price has risen substantially since I ordered mine in August 2012, delivered December 2012.

Will the battery degrade? Sure. I'm down from range charges of 272 miles when new to 252 miles today (nearly 2 years and 26,000 miles later). I'm not sure how much of this loss is hardware vs software. But nonetheless I expect to be able to happily drive my car for another 6 years.
Robert out of interest, does into the ground = 8 years in your mind ?
Or is the expiration of the motor / battery warranty at 8 years the point at which you'd no longer trust it?

I have a nail of a minivan bought for peanuts at 8 years old as a workhorse for MTB'ing. It's still perfectly usable, if a little banged up cosmetically. I actually did 800 miles in it a few weekends ago :eek:. When it dies I'll junk it and buy another, not a strategy I'd use for my main car, but my definition of into the ground :D

P.S.
I am jealous of the trails you have in your neck of the woods ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
My last car bought from new was a 2001 Seat Leon Cupra and I sold that last year to my brother, who is now driving it into the ground. I don't plan anything but I expect to keep the Model S for quite some time but who knows. With a comprehensive supercharger network, it may be some time before battery degredation becomes an issue.

BTW the battery degedation warranty from BMW mandates a full service history at BMW. I fully expect that, should Tesla indeed include such a warranty, they would insist on the same conditions. I mean, they say that the battery will be replaced under warranty even if you were at fault and caused the damage, I'm not sure BMW would do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For me, "running it into the ground" means continuing to own it until the service costs begin to seriously escalate. It will be interesting to see with a Tesla whether I first reach that point or with battery degradation finally claiming more range than I can afford to give up. Distances in the state of Maine are further apart than one might suppose, and public transport is nearly nonexistent, so I routinely use 160 to 200 miles of range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts