Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Voltec cable user guide, they recommend you mount the "backing plate" on the wall.. but if you look at this picture of the cable that came with the car, there's no way to plug it in and attach it upright to the wall. The cord with the plug is simply too short.

However, I ordered another cable for charging at work and the cable length was different, long enough to wallmount.

Here is the one that came with the car (left), and the one I bought (right)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I can't find the reference right now but to comply with the mode 2 regulation the cable from the control box must be no longer than a particular length... I think from memeroy if it 0.6m. It can be shorter.

So that is why the cable from the box to the pug is so short. It isn't just Vauxhall be difficult but I can't imagine why they would want to make it shorter than the permitted length.

I don't want to suggest that people take apart the control box :shock: but perhaps there is a way that the delaer could extend that lead to the permitted max length.

I will try to find the reference and post it if someone else doesn't beat me to it :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please see below for an extract from the requirement for the length of lead between the control box and plug, the full document can be found with the link.

"Control and protection functions are permanently installed for personal protection from
electric shock within the charging cable. An in-cable control box incorporates built-in RCD
protection and pilot signal functions to provide basic communication.The inline control
box is positioned along the charging cable within 0.3m of the plug, and sets and adjusts the
specific charging power."

http://www.beama.org.uk/download.cfm/do ... A5BD78DDC9

Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Had the same problem, sent pictures to Trevor at Vauxhall of the impossible task of mounting the charger onto its' plate, he is aware and reported it to Vauxhall. Worth mentioning it to Trevor to get them to increase the cable length to the maximum 0.6 metre rule. Strange but good that your 2nd unit is longer.
Go to 'Mounted Portable Charger In Garage' posted by myself on June 8th 2012 for suggestions.
Tried to order a spare 10 amp charger but was told it was not available, What was the price? please.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks for looking that up for us Gary :)

30cm... that is just 1ft... isn't long enough in my opinion. I wonder how many people, not knowing hte regulations, take it upon themselves to lengthen it.

Then, what about using an extension lead? Even using a good quality lead with suitably rated cable, sockets and plugs... does that then mean that we are in breach of the regulations when using a portable EVSE in that way?

I have yet to see a properly explained and full explanation of these regs and how they apply to us, the driver, as opposed to manufacturers or dealers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian Matthews said:
Tried to order a spare 10 amp charger but was told it was not available, What was the price? please.
I ordered mine from Drive Leicester, my local dealer wasn't allowed to sell me one, it came in at £216+VAT or thereabouts.

From ordering to arrival, it took 3 working days.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Before anyone tries, I am told that the GM portable EVSE is ultrasonically welded and if opened it can not be closed again.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I'm glad Vauxhall/Opel have seen sense and put a longer cable on there. Are they measuring the 30cm from the top of the handle now?

Now if only they would sell a portable 16A version with a commando plug on it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Decided to go for another 6/10amp charger rather than the Vauxhall 16amp charger due to fitting difficulties and high cost.
The new one has a longer lead which is easier to fit and the longer cable does not stress the plug and socket :D unlike the original one.
The 10amp charger supplied with the car now stays in the boot for on road charging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts