Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get to Exeter on my test to try the CHAdeMO charging but it looks like I won't have time so can someone tell me how long a empty to full rapid charge takes please?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I wanted to get to Exeter on my test to try the CHAdeMO charging but it looks like I won't have time so can someone tell me how long a empty to full rapid charge takes please?
Not yet, but more opportunities coming up tomorrow as travelling down to Portsmouth if I have more time. It's not particularly rapid considering the small battery pack. I did 10 minutes at Membury last night to test it and got from 30% to 50% - forget the exact numbers voltage/current but it was taking about 20kW peak rate.

110 mile journey back from London starting with Full charge and taking the 20% topup at Membury returned an mpg of 51mpg travelling at 70-ish.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
24 mins to 80 % starts on 29% though.
Can you get yours to EV ever go beyond 80%.

I'm sure I've one restarted at 50 something (switched on ignition to open windows - stops charge :rolleyes:), and once tried restarting after a full 80%. IIRC always stops at 80% which makes me believe the car is responsible for this behaviour, as my LEAF will keep on going.

What does yours do?

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
I believe it's designed to not go over 80%, in order to preserve battery longevity.

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
237 Posts
On my leaf it's about 2-3% a minute, the same rate for all 4 different brands of rapids I use. Rate of charge slows considerably once you reach 85%. Some of the rapids I have used have presettings to limit time, maximum percentage of charge, or both

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
237 Posts
Ignore the last :( I just noticed we are talking Mitsubishi :D

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the easiest way to get it to 100%? Mess about with the unintuitive menu settings or can you just do a second stand charge and go back for a second zinger burger?
Just do a 2nd charge on my Leaf. Always works for me!

If that doesn't work for the Outlander then it would suggest that the car has some say in the matter.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
First attempt at rapid charging the outlander had 75% charge (was just by curiosity since the bay was free) and although it looked like it was going to start, it just didn't charge at all.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
First attempt at rapid charging the outlander had 75% charge (was just by curiosity since the bay was free) and although it looked like it was going to start, it just didn't charge at all.
Where was this? Reading westbound and Chieveley didn't work for my Outlander. Ecotricity claimed other charge sessions were OK so no fault their end. Everywhere else was fine so suspect it is something subtle on their end.

Update: restarting charge at 80% does continue. Not sure what happened 1st time as both attempts were South Mimms.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
It was IKEA Croydon. I did try again the day after as my battery was lower (around 30%, 50% according to the station) and it did work fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just do a 2nd charge on my Leaf. Always works for me!

If that doesn't work for the Outlander then it would suggest that the car has some say in the matter.
For all types of DC charging the car is in control sending a variable demand signal to the DC charger. So, within the ultimate power capability of the charger, the vehicle determines end points and charge rate.

CHAdeMO extends the vehicle's CAN bus to the charger, while CCS uses TCP/IP via PLC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Charged my GX4H at Rownhams yesterday. Went to 80% initially (330v ar 50A). The I set a timed charge and it went merrily on it's way towards 100%. I got bored at 87% and stopped it there. I don't know what would have happened had I selected the timed charge from the outset.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When the battery gets to around 93% the display on the charging point shows a current of around 8A so I usually give up at this point, even though it is free.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Expecting to get PHEV tomorrow :) yeah...

If I charge at a rapid (CHAdeMO), and my car has finished, can someone unplug it to use, or do I have to do it? Hopefully I won't be too far away.

All very new to this and don't want to upset other EV chargers.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
@tarq Yes that'd correct. Once your car has finished the charge session on the chademo and on the rapid charger screen is back to the main menu. Someone can unplug the chademo plug from your car.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Charged my GX4H at Rownhams yesterday. Went to 80% initially (330v ar 50A). The I set a timed charge and it went merrily on it's way towards 100%. I got bored at 87% and stopped it there. I don't know what would have happened had I selected the timed charge from the outset.
Was it an ecotricity charger?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Olivier,

It was indeed. I tried the one on the other (eastbound) side on saturday. This time I set it for a timed charge. When it got to 80% it stopped automatically. Starting another timed charge saw the % increasing again. Interestingly, this ecotricity charger worked without the need for me to swipe my card.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts