Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Being a complete novice on electric cars I am trying to learn as much as possible.

I am a company car driver looking to move ideally to a full electric powered car but I may have to go plug in hybrid first and full electric at a later date.

I have already been given some good advice on how I can get my company to allow me to have an electric car and how we can both benefit by me doing so however I have a question I am hoping for assistance with, which is regarding the amount of time a fully charged battery will keep its charge.

Assuming a vaccine is found for the COVID-19 virus and life returns back to what I shall describe as normal, then this would mean that there will be times once again when I will regularly need to travel to Europe for work. When I do go away, it will mean that my car will be parked up at an airport for anything between 1-4 days. Now I appreciate that the make up of a battery varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and that the weather plays a part in the performance of the battery but in general what I am looking to find out, is if I parked my car for the period I will be away, what are the chances I can go away and come back to my car and the battery still have a charge to get me home.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Leave it at around 60% charge whilst you go away and it will be fine. Discharge depends on different manufacturers, but normally has something to do with connected services so if the car is always in stand-by mode with you checking charge levels etc. it will use more. If you have a car that has no app, then you can normally leave it weeks or even a few months with no sizable drop in battery percentage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Every EV will be different, but all will experience a slight reduction in battery charge if left for longer periods of time.

We are a two EV family, and the advice I follow is to leave the cars at between 40% - 60% charge level. From memory, (it was 2019), when we returned from our two week holiday both had lost 1%-2%.

Not personal experience, but I believe Tesla's tend to have slightly higher "vampire" drain than others, so may see a greater reduction.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
509 Posts
The main battery won't notice a several day sleep, but if you do very little mileage you may have issues with the 12v standby circuit battery, similar to internal combustion cars do. Plenty of threads on that. Suffice it to say, however, that if you can manage with an ICE car today you'll have no issue with an EV either.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
My Renault Zoe will sit quite happily and lose 2% every 7-8 days. Even that level of drain is considered fairly high for all but Tesla with all their connected features going on in the background. You really don't need to worry about losing charge with your kind of usage. The only thing, as has already been suggested above is to not leave it sitting around for days/weeks at a time with a very high or very low state of charge, as this can be harmful to the battery.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife's Kona was charged to 80% when the lockdown hit. Nearly three months later, just left unplugged, it had only dropped to 65%. The 12v battery warning light stayed on for a minute or two when it was started after the break but no other issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Left the Ioniq at Heathrow for more than 3 weeks last November and there was no change in percentage. I don't think it's a real worry with any of the current EV models

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Ioniq EV showed the same % when I checked after a week. I saw a video someone did where they came back from a 2 week holiday and I think it was the same or 1% less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your posts and confirmation that I will have nothing to worry about.
I dont evisage any issue with the 12v battery as I will be doing somewhere between 20 - 25,000 miles per year; mixture of business and personal.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
509 Posts
My Ioniq EV showed the same % when I checked after a week. I saw a video someone did where they came back from a 2 week holiday and I think it was the same or 1% less.
TBH my I3 doesn't update the internet portal unless you unlock the car or interact with it in some way, so the charge level may well drop while I'm away but I can't tell till I get in it and drive. The app won't report any changes. Still, the amount of loss would still be negligible. BMW recommends that you leave the car at least 60% charged if you're going to be leaving it unattended for "more than 3 months". LiIon doesn't leak much.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
164 Posts
Well, I left mine for 4 days recently and charge level actually went up 1%. Presumably rounding and due to an increase in ambient temps.
I've noticed though if you charge to 100% it will be back at 99% about a day later, so maybe don't leave it a high state of charge. Lipo batteries are generally best stored at around 40-50%, which you will notice if you ever receive a new phone or battery, it may have been sat in a warehouse / transport for months on end so presume they leave the factory about half full and only lose a small amount of charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts