Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

BP Chargemaster are fitting a charging point for my new Zoe next week. I'm planning on working from home that day so need to know how long my electric will be off for. I called them but the person I spoke to had no idea!

Anyone know?
Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Something between minutes and hours. It really does depend. Do you know exactly how they are installing it? Are they connecting to a spare way on an existing consumer unit, or are they splitting the feed after the meter and fitting a dedicated CU for the charger?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Hello all,

BP Chargemaster are fitting a charging point for my new Zoe next week. I'm planning on working from home that day so need to know how long my electric will be off for. I called them but the person I spoke to had no idea!

Anyone know?
Thanks!
42 minutes.

Seriously, how long will depend on the details of your electrical installation and on how Covid precautions affects the installation contractor.

I've got a 12v battery, sine wave inverter etc and so could run indefinitely ( topup from EV or ice) to power router, screens, laptops, lights etc.).

I'd try and rig up something similar if it's critical

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello all,

Anyone know?
Thanks!
Usually 20 minutes. They do all the wiring, earth connections etc first. Then turn off the supply to make the live connection and test. If all is well they turn the supply on again carry out checks, make sure the car is charging and any apps to monitor charging are working.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The entire installation should be made offline.
The only time they will cut you out is when they connect the charger circuit to the house circuit.
Thanks - that's what I thought. So should be minutes rather than hours...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Usually 20 minutes. They do all the wiring, earth connections etc first. Then turn off the supply to make the live connection and test. If all is well they turn the supply on again carry out checks, make sure the car is charging and any apps to monitor charging are working.
20 minutes based on maybe one particular instance?

Seriously, the OP and the contractor are the only people that can work out an approximate timing.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Thanks - that's what I thought. So should be minutes rather than hours...
There's should and might.
From the POV of business I would plan your afternoon as being without power to allow for something breaking when they try to work on it.
Then you can work with power most of the time if is only off for 20 minutes, bearing in mind that the location of that 20 minutes is somewhat unknown.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,256 Posts
Power was off for mine for about 10 mins whilst connecting the BCO and another 10 when connecting the charger on the wall. As said above, everything was prepared prior to cutting off power to minimise disruption.

·
Registered
63 Posts
20 minutes based on maybe one particular instance?

Seriously, the OP and the contractor are the only people that can work out an approximate timing.
I am qualified to make an approximate timing, based on my knowledge of electrical installation under the 18th Edition IEE Regulation. The op only wanted some advise, which I gave.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you are wiring from the meter then an isolating switch will have been fitted. They need to switch off the power to check the overall electrical system before and after but, as they say, that’s only a few minutes. I hardly noticed it when Chargemaster fitted mine (except for resetting some clocks!).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,995 Posts
If you are wiring from the meter then an isolating switch will have been fitted. They need to switch off the power to check the overall electrical system before and after but, as they say, that’s only a few minutes. I hardly noticed it when Chargemaster fitted mine (except for resetting some clocks!).
Yep. Chargemaster wouldn't agree to do mine without an isolator.
Luckily I could get it done at the same time as my smart meters, just before the plague hit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It took Scottish Power about six months to fit my isolator. Cancelled appointments with no contact phone number or name etc. Absolute nightmare but at least they didn’t charge me anything. Used the granny lead for a long time whilst waiting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts