Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys Just to help with my final decision. How long would it take to charge from flat to full on a 13 amp socket in the garage?????

2017 leaf 30 kwh
2017 bmw i3 90 kwh
2017 soul 30kwh
2017 ioniq 30 kwh

This all helps with my argument with my good lady for us getting the Citroen 1.6 hdi S/S automatic.馃槆馃槆

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
Charge power you can assume will be about 2kW, maybe 2.5 at the most. So the 30kWh cars will take about 12-15H if completely flat which they wouldn't be. Overnight would probably be fine.

There is no 90kWh i3.

Registered
And remember that you don't usually charge from flat. I'd panic if mine got to less than 10%.

Registered
Peugeot e-208
15 hours sounds about right. If that sounds scary remember

• you probably won't be charging from empty
  • at least not every day, surely
  • and a lot of times it will be parked up for longer that 15 hours anyway

The times when you are charging from completely flat AND need it to be completely full AND don't have time to do so will probably be quite rare. If they aren't, consider a bigger battery or a 7kW charger.

Registered
Charge power you can assume will be about 2kW, aybe 2.5 at the most. So the 30kWh cars will take about 12-15H if completely flat which they wouldn't be. Overnight would probably be fine.

There is no 90kWh i3.
Indeed. To help a bit more - the i3 is 90Ah. Battery voltage is of the order of 370V so that's power of about 33kWh. All the cars quoted in the original post will be the same in terms of charge time.

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
Indeed. To help a bit more - the i3 is 90Ah. Battery voltage is of the order of 370V so that's power of about 33kWh. All the cars you quote will be the same in terms of charge time.
I wasn't quoting it was @renagade ...

Registered
The very last 10-20% is likely to charge at a slower rate, as the Battery Management System will want to balance the cells as you get closer to 100% SOC. So that process can easily add 30 mins to an hour to what you might have expected to be the finish time, if you're watching it closely as it gets going.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The very last 10-20% is likely to charge at a slower rate, as the Battery Management System will want to balance the cells as you get closer to 100% SOC. So that process can easily add 30 mins to an hour to what you might have expected to be the finish time, if you're watching it closely as it gets going.
Many thanks Guys

Registered
Hi Guys Just to help with my final decision. How long would it take to charge from flat to full on a 13 amp socket in the garage?????

2017 leaf 30 kwh
2017 bmw i3 90 kwh
2017 soul 30kwh
2017 ioniq 30 kwh

This all helps with my argument with my good lady for us getting the Citroen 1.6 hdi S/S automatic.馃槆馃槆
Go for ioniq. It's the best out of them 4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts