Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because I've just bought a set of roof bars for mine and am not entirely happy with the way they sit on the roof. The instruction leaflet seems to suggest that the rubber feet should sit inboard of the rubber strips going along the roof but the only way I can make the clamp fit is to have the rubber feet perched halfway outside the rubber strip and resting on it. That really doesn't look very stable to me !

When I enquired of supplier if they were sure this was correct, they assured me that they'd sold 20+ sets of bars for 'this model' and "never had any issue with them at all". Given that the 'New Leaf' has only been on sale since Feb and roof bars are probably a minority request, I'd think their 20+ sold probably includes most (if not all) 24kWh or 30kWh models.

Supplementary question : Has the roof design altered since the facelift ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You appreciate they'll drop your range quite a bit?
New Leaf is wider, could that be the issue? Perhaps someone with both an old and new one could compare the gutter distances.

Reactions: EricM

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You appreciate they'll drop your range quite a bit?
New Leaf is wider, could that be the issue? Perhaps someone with both an old and new one could compare the gutter distances.
Really not a problem : when (if) I need extra luggage space or carry an extra long load it's unlikely to be for more than (say) 10 miles- e.g. popping off to nearest builders' merchant to collect a few fence posts etc. . . Anything more extreme than that I'd probably use the Volvo instead (but using the Leaf at 2.5 ppm - or even 3ppm if drag is a problem - would be preferable to using the Volvo at 15ppm !

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has both models - or even has a set of roof bars for an old Leaf that do or do not fit on the replacement model - could add their four pennorth.

I have asked supplier to confirm that putting the support pads across the (weakened) gutter area is 'safe' - that ought to ring a few alarm bells if they stop to work out the consequences. But to be frank, I really wouldn't expect carrying a few fence posts or whatever a few miles to be particularly 'hazardous'

·
Registered
385 Posts
Look at the chassis number on the windscreen will tell you how many have been made. The first one off the line on 18th December 2017 is in the Edinburgh Showroom of Alex F Noble with 00000001 on the screen. Mine was the first 2.Zero off the line in January and is below 2,000. Checked a demonstrator on an 18 plate last week and it was over 8,000....so I would think more than 10,000 so far.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
On my V5 it is just Leaf Tekna.... no battery size.

Reactions: Leo Moran

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mike, I suppose it's like an ICE car having the size of the fuel tank on the V5...or rather not. It goes by the size of the motor not the fuel tank. It's just us who think in the size of the battery.

·
Super Moderator
12,297 Posts
Apparently all panels were redesigned for New Leaf.
Do you have a reference for that?

The centre part of the body shell looks very much the same as the previous version. The doors look the same too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sold out to December I’ve heard?

·
Registered
385 Posts
John was your's supplied new or is it a white one? Is it a demonstrator? If not, congratulations, you probably have one of the earliest on the road...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My VIN ends in 13300 - is that the same thing? I got it with 12 miles including the delivery drive from Ilford to Old Street - so it must have been zero at the dealers...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Colleagues who build it!
Something fishy there, parts may well have been modified for the refreshed design, e.g. the rear door skins have a different flute on them in the new design but the underlying architecture is the same so I'd be surprised if the roof panel had changed in dimensions if at all.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My VIN ends in 13300 - is that the same thing? I got it with 12 miles including the delivery drive from Ilford to Old Street - so it must have been zero at the dealers...
Yes Peter, your's was 13,300 off the production line ( or should have been). As for the mileage, remember it's driven round the factory which could be a couple of miles....then to the storage area in the factory, the storage area of the garage, the PDI and all the other stuff. Mine had 11 miles as it came off the transporter....about 17 miles from the factory.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes Peter, your's was 13,300 off the production line ( or should have been). As for the mileage, remember it's driven round the factory which could be a couple of miles....then to the storage area in the factory, the storage area of the garage, the PDI and all the other stuff. Mine had 11 miles as it came off the transporter....about 17 miles from the factory.
Mine had 4 Miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John was your's supplied new or is it a white one? Is it a demonstrator? If not, congratulations, you probably have one of the earliest on the road...
My VIN ends in 0000034.

Supplied to Bristol Street Motors in early Feb (i.e. pre launch) then used as their demonstrator for 1075 miles until I bought it at end of March.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts