Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
4.2 Wh for an AA battery, roughly.

So you do the maths. ;)
I make that 15,238 - but you would have to connect some in parallel and some in series. I think about 250 would have to be connected in series to make up 375 volts. The rest connected in parallel to make up the kilowatt hours.
Reminds me of our son's first electric car - a Twike. The battery consisted of numerous 'D' cells connected together to make 400 volts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Extra points for working out the price of a recharge. :)
15,238 AA batteries
Amazon has 36 AA batteries for 拢21.59, free delivery
So 424 packs of those = 拢9154.16

Assuming you were really nimble with your hands and could change 1 battery per second that would take about four and a half hours

Registered
I think the above calcs may be based on Alkaline, non rechargeable batteries. The largest capacity rechargeable AA battery I can find is around 2700mAHr at 1.2 volts, of course, equating to 3.24Watt/Hr (in a theoretical world, where we believe the makers of AA batteries!)
64,000WattHr in the EV battery would need 19,753 AA`s; But it is said that the EV battery is actually 67000W/Hr making 20679 AA`s as an equivalent (I liked it being over 20,000!!).
If laid out onto a 1meter x 1 meter "tray", you would need 14 layers of batteries which would be approx 190mm high. That dimension surprised me, but doesn`t include any battery management and temp control equipment that the car must have. It just goes to show that there is no magic to an EV battery - there is just lots of it!
Well that just wasted 10 minutes of my time!!!!!

Registered
I think the above calcs may be based on Alkaline, non rechargeable batteries. The largest capacity rechargeable AA battery I can find is around 2700mAHr at 1.2 volts, of course, equating to 3.24Watt/Hr (in a theoretical world, where we believe the makers of AA batteries!)
64,000WattHr in the EV battery would need 19,753 AA`s; But it is said that the EV battery is actually 67000W/Hr making 20679 AA`s as an equivalent (I liked it being over 20,000!!).
If laid out onto a 1meter x 1 meter "tray", you would need 14 layers of batteries which would be approx 190mm high. That dimension surprised me, but doesn`t include any battery management and temp control equipment that the car must have. It just goes to show that there is no magic to an EV battery - there is just lots of it!
Well that just wasted 10 minutes of my time!!!!!
If you are going to use rechargeable batteries at 1.2 volts rather than 1.5 you would need about 316 connected in series to make about 380 volts. The rest would be connected in parallel to gain the required watt hours.

Super Moderator
1 - 14 of 14 Posts