Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is mainly about outside of home, so if you dont have a tethered charger at home and are using your cable at home then discount that.

I'm wondering the actual need to carry the cable around in your car ?

The public charges I have seen are all tethered, are there ones that are not ? If you have needed to use your cable outside of home, what was the scenario?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I rarely charge publicly but I carry mine around just in case... Doesn't take up much room.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My thread might interest you, particularly what I found out yesterday.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
The public charges I have seen are all tethered,
In UK all "fast" 3kW to 22kW public chargers are socket except Tesla and some Source London posts that have Type 1 tethered, mainly for their rental cars.

Over past 7 years of owning EVs I have made extensive use of a charging cable, most recently in the garden center near Bicester Village. However, due to range I do use it less in Zoe than I did in Ampera where I was always on lookout for a charge!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had my leaf nearly 5 years and never had a cable apart from the granny lead. I have uses that precisely once away from home. Fast chargers i have only ever uses the ones at Nissan garages.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I only carry the public charging cable if I know I'm going further afield though now on my 2nd EV and I've never used one. I do always have the portable EVSE/UMC in the car but still only used it at home.

I have used rapid/superchargers on a couple of occasions during longer trips. The main Tesco near me has just commissioned 4 free charging bays and I thought that's a good opportunity to test my cable however I realised it would take ~1 hr to get a reasonable charge @ 7.2kw so haven't bothered. I'd rather be at home!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I always carry the cable (and the granny, apart from the holiday in France) in our Zoe. But we have only one car and some AC chargers are indeed only socket.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
All the time. I do all my charging from a local 7kW post at a car park around 0.5mile away, and it requires your own cable.

Also tend to use 7kW destination chargers when out and about.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't often use it, but I have been glad of having my type 2 cable with me for using 7kW destination chargers.

I also carry my granny lead (and a 25m extension lead with in line RCD, spare outdoor socket protector thingy, socket tester and a commando to 3 pin socket converter) all the time. I go to pretty remote places so I want as many charging options as possible to minimise risk of being stranded. Everything fits in the bit under boot floor, along with many many bags for life, hat, gloves, scarf, blanket, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tyre inflator, paper road atlas, etc.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just realised today that in 12 months I have only used the 7kW cable 2 or 3 times.

I have PodPoint at home and that has been 80% of the charging.

I'm often staying with a relative and use the granny charger, maybe 15% of my charges.

CCS 50kW public make up about 5% when I am out and about.

Type 2 cable is a rounding error.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Most destination chargers are untethered, while rapids are tethered. I don't typically have the cable in the car as I don't typically need or have the opportunity to charge at destination. I'll take the cable a few times a month though, when I know I can charge at work (some client sites have 3.5 or 7k posts) or at a shopping center / cinema / restaurant / hotel. If I was moving around more randomly, I'd probably leave the cable in the car.

The granny charger though, I only take when I visit friends or familly where I know I can use it. So that's about twice a year.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Carry granny charger in the car with a variety of extra plugs (Schuko) and extensions, generally only ever gets used in Brussels when at the HQ.

Type 2 used at work significantly more often than my Tethered does at home, used it loads on recent trip up to Scotland also, if I have to make a choice would carry the type 2.

Type 2 however goes in boot for normal use, all the other stuff keep in the frunk which i generally never use., as @cah197 says, the day I leave it in the garage will be the one where I need it.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I also have a 16 Amp Commando (Caravan style) to three pin adaptor. Very cheap and very useful as there are always camping grounds around if you get desperate.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 10m type 2 cable under the boot floor of the Zoe, as the Zoe doesn’t do
DC charging this can be essential as some rapid charge points have 43kw dc but 22kw 3 phase ac and the ac is only a socket, whereas the dc has tethered cables.

Less essential to carry one in a car that does dc rapid but each to their own, people drive different cars to different places.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts