Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't see the point in not carrying my Type 2 cable around as it has its own special stowing space in the boot. The same with the granny cable the other side. Where would I keep them otherwise?
On display in the lounge of course, Perhaps above mantle piece?
During xmas we put ours around the tree instead of tinsel :cool:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry, never been that desperate... [to have to use a caravan/camping park]
I have, and a caravan park in Llangollen enabled me to get enough charge to get to Oswestry for a Rapid top-up to get me home (My mobile network being down in the Bangor area had caused me to fail to be able to charge at EH Bangor - this was before EH introduced WiFi on all their posts)

I carry Type 2 to Type 1 charging lead, Granny Lead, 5m and 10m extension leads (more often used for other jobs, just handy having them in the car) and the above mentioned 16A Commando plug to 13A socket adaptor.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
each to their own, people drive different cars to different places.
Exactly. There is no single best answer. It depends on the car and the situation.

During a recent telephone interview, I was asked "what do you do while your car is charging?" That is like asking what do you do while your car is parked. It depends.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I have, and a caravan park in Llangollen enabled me to get enough charge to get to Oswestry
We drove Oswestry to Anglesey via the A5 just two days ago. Beautiful scenery.

The new rapids at the Morrison's made this an easy single charge trip. There is also a 7kW point at Moel Siabod Cafe in Capel Curig, although I've never used it.

Going the other way, we don't need to rely on the rapid at Bangor since we live here. The alternate would be A55 then down through Wrexham since there are several rapid chargers, many of them new.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm an opportunist charger, so my type 2 cable is in the car all the time ;) Last time I used it was this morning, parked at our local Council Offices and plugged in, walked to the hairdressers and had my hair cut, then into town for a few jobs and a coffee later. Got back to the car (free parking and electric) and was up 9kWh, so an extra 40 miles added. I always plug in if there is a charge point available, and find I rarely charge at home unless its more convenient, or I have a long journey next day.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This post was me just curious on how many untethered public chargers there actually are to make use of, it seems more then I first imagined. There’s recently been a rise in petty car crime in my area, break in just for contents of boot and glove box, so as a policy we simply don’t leave anything of valuable in the car. These thieves will take a bag of loo roll, (actually happened) so A £100 cable is Christmas !

·
Registered
773 Posts
@r3hxn if you're only ever using tethered AC cables to charge you car, unless you have a Zoe (or three-phase enabled EV), you probably aren't making use of the charging rate available from those tethered AC chargers and are probably blocking a rapid charger with a slower charging car (unless by tehtered you meant ChaDeMo or CCS?). If you car can only charge at 3 or 7kW on AC, then its generally accepted that good EV etiquette means you should leave the tethered cables for EVs which can make best use of them and find a 7kW socket elsewhere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@r3hxn if you're only ever using tethered AC cables to charge you car, unless you have a Zoe (or three-phase enabled EV), you probably aren't making use of the charging rate available from those tethered AC chargers and are probably blocking a rapid charger with a slower charging car (unless by tehtered you meant ChaDeMo or CCS?). If you car can only charge at 3 or 7kW on AC, then its generally accepted that good EV etiquette means you should leave the tethered cables for EVs which can make best use of them and find a 7kW socket elsewhere.
No EV at the moment, still waiting on delivery for Model 3. 90% of my charging would be at home or at a super charger. but your point duly noted, charging etiqueete is something worth sharing for sure.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If you car can only charge at 3 or 7kW on AC, then its generally accepted that good EV etiquette means you should leave the tethered cables for EVs which can make best use of them
Yes it can be really frustrating waiting 30 minutes at a rapid while a PHEV takes on a whole extra single kWh in that time with no intention of giving way. (Had that experience only last Tuesday.)

·
Registered
773 Posts
No EV at the moment, still waiting on delivery for Model 3. 90% of my charging would be at home or at a super charger. but your point duly noted, charging etiqueete is something worth sharing for sure.
If you’ve got M3, then just use the CCS cable at a rapid. Otherwise, your own Type-2 in a destination post, or tethered cable on Tesla destination charger. Enjoy the car once it arrives, I’m sure you’ll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts