Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with the warmer temperatures, I'm struggling to get more than 34 miles per full charge and I noticed today that after using all the available battery power from a full charge I had consumed just 10.7 kW.

I thought that the Ampera had a 16kw battery and charges up to about 80% which would be 12.8kw which if correct would increase my miles per charge to a more reasonable 40'ish.

Could other Ampera owners advise me how many kilowatts they get per charge?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No, as has been covered extensively here and elsewhere, you only get to actually use 10.6 or 10.9kwH of the Amperas battery because of the way the car manages it. It does indeed have a battery of the size you suggest, but when it says zero miles left and switches to petrol, there are still a few kWH in the battery, and the car never charges to 100%. This is part of the careful battery management scheme, to ensure a long life for the battery by keeping it within the optimal charge range for the lithium chemistry used. I've got a link to the explanation somewhere (somebody will probably beat me to posting it!) :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
From the Chevy volt entry on Wikipedia:
"For the 2011/2012 model years, the battery pack stores 16 kW•h of energy but it is controlled or buffered via the energy management system to use only 10.3 kW•h of this capacity to maximize the life of the pack. For this reason the battery pack never fully charges or depletes, as the software only allows the battery to operate within astate of charge (SOC) window of 65%, after which the engine kicks in and maintains the charge near the lower level. The minimum SOC varies depending on operating conditions. When more power is required, such as mountain mode, the lower limit of the SOC will rise to 45% to ensure there is enough power available.[58][66] The battery capacity was increased to 16.5 kW•h for the 2013 model year, the SOC window will be increased to use 10.8 kW•h of the total battery energy, and the buffer to ensure battery life will not be reduced. These changes will increase the Volt's all-electric range but charging will take slightly longer. The improved battery performance and durability were achieved through minor changes to the material composition of the battery cell chemistry.[70][72]"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts