Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been offered the opportunity to pick up a Passat GTE as a company vehicle but need to know if I can calculate what I need.

My drive to/from work will fully drain the battery each way so ideally I would like to charge it both at work and at home to maximise on my electric use.

There are charging stations I can use at work which bill me each month and tell me how many kWh I have used and the rates so I know what to claim.

However if I want to charge it at home I don't have a dedicated charger so will have to use the UK plug charger but I will need to know how many kWh I have put in the car to know what to claim there.

Is there any way either on the car or an app to show how many kWh of power i've put in the vehicle ?

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think you're looking at a smart-charge point on the wall of your house, ie not using the VW supplied granny brick.
Then getting your charge history from the website of the smart charger.

In terms of what Joe Public can see from the car computer, or the VM app, Nope you can't see electricity put in.

Otherwise take the value that the office based charger is billing you in units ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've seen a thing called a Kill-A-Watt in the US which you plug into the wall socket and then plug the appliance (your car) into the Kill-A-Watt send the display tells you how much juice is being supplied to the appliance.

Not sure if it is available in the UK or suitable for something like an EV.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've heard people using smart plugs (like Tp-link Kasa with power monitoring) to do something similar and enable remote charging via app, but with continuous 10A load I'd be a bit wary of adding more connections between socket and granny lead than necessary. Turning the car charge rate down to 5A might be good compromise though. I'd definitely recommend a proper smart charging unit though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts