Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How many times have you been "blocked" at a Rapid charger

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By "blocked" I mean that another car - of any sort - was connected to the charger and drawing charge AND that you had to wait more than 5 minutes before you could charge your car.

(This, of course, in response to the growing number of threads about certain vehicles "hogging" chargers).

As another point of interest, please state in your reply which model of car blocked you, and how long you had to wait before you could charge.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me - once so far, by another Leaf, at South Mimms, for about 10 minutes.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Several times, LEAF and ZOEs only. Never to the point of being unable to find an alternative. Most often at local IKEA, once on the motorway (LEAF).

Worst was when I posted about the LEAF and ZOE blocking the rapids (both sides) while NEITHER of them charged, no owners in site (of if they were, they hid/kept quiet).

I know of at least one ZOE that uses the IKEA Ecotricity in lieu of a home charger.

·
Registered
307 Posts
South Mimms on numerous occasions with Leaf / Zoe charging - 40 mins
Warwick - i3 / Tesla - went to other side of motorway
Beaconsfield - Leafs - 20 mins
LFE - Zoe / Leaf - 15 mins
Newport Pagnell - Zoe / Leaf - 30 mins
M4 J2 - Leaf - 30 mins
Northampton - Zoe - 40 mins
Oxford - Leaf - 10 mins

Think you can tell I do a fair amount of miles on the motorways...

It's getting to the point with S Mimms where I'd rather divert to London Gateway with 2 DC chargers and come back up the M1 to go around M25. Or take the N Circular to get to the Docklands side.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Twice by a Tesla.

First time the car was charging and, after waiting for half an hour, had to limp on to the next service station. If it had been a normal EV, we could have both topped up.

Second time the Tesla had stopped charging but the car keeps a hold of the plug anyway. Again I had to move on.

I

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twice by a Tesla.

First time the car was charging and, after waiting for half an hour, had to limp on to the next service station. If it had been a normal EV, we could have both topped up.

Second time the Tesla had stopped charging but the car keeps a hold of the plug anyway. Again I had to move on.

I
The Tesla uses the AC plug on Rapids, yes? So even though it was still connected, if it had stopped charging, wouldn't you have been able to use the CHAdeMO connection?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Warwick Services S, Red Tesla Model S. That was the day I discovered there is no way to know how long one will be on charge either on the car or on an Ecotricity rapid screen. Spoke to likely candidates inside and out to try to find out though and gave up after 20 minutes. Just as I drove off 2 guys jumped in and did a quick getaway spotted by my eagle eyed passenger. Reversed back and hooked up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, not while the thing is still plugged in.
Does that only apply to Teslas, or woudld it be the same if any AC-charging car (such as the Zoe) was connected but no longer charging?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Well, it didn't when I tried. I must have proved it too but contrary to you. Funny buggers, these chargers.
what did it show on the screen of the charger ?

When my telsa finished (I remotely stopped it as I walked up to the car) the screen showed the disconnect screen, press the green tick button and it was ready to go again, before I unlocked the charge port

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Once in Jan 2014 by a Leaf at Leicester Forest East for 5 min. Nice to meet the guy from Coventry, he was rapid charging for the first time and only because destination charging failed him in Leicester.

To be fair not tried to use a rapid since. We don't have em round here yet, like (yet!)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've been ICE'd at a charger,(turns out the charger was faulty and wouldn't deliver a charge anyway,but still...)..the local rapid had a Leaf on tap the other day,and it being my first experience of another user there,I assumed I could use the AC side while he was on the DC supply..my bad..He politely unhooked and let me in...Have been EV'd a couple of times since these early days experiences..Arrived at a rapid to find another Zoe plugged in and the dash showing over 90%..late evening,the garage closed,no driver..Waited 30 minutes thinking they'd return soon..thought wrong..ended up going to a nearby 22kW unit to charge instead.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
More than twice for me. Always by a LEAF - which is not in the least bit surprising given their popularity in the north east. Wetherby has always caused me the biggest problem. That is until the second unit went in.

At most other places on the M1 (which I use a lot for trips of 100-200 miles at a time) I usually have enough juice to reach the next services with charging, so I'm rarely held up. I just say hello and then keep going.

Wetherby is different for me, though. It's my nearest rapid and some 50 miles from home, so I have to charge here in order to get south and to get home. So, not surprising that I've had to wait there a few times.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Once at Sclattie Park in Aberdeen (about 15 minutes waiting for an iOn to finish)
Once at Gallowgate in Aberdeen (a Leaf had finished, but the plug is dodgy there so left to him)
Once at Laurencekirk, but that was at the opening event so there were quite a few EVs
Once at Greenmarket in Dundee where an i3 was sipping from the AC side of a rapid at 7kW all night while there were two spare type-2 chargers a couple of spaces away. That was an hour wait (I used the type-2 while waiting)
Once at Kinross Services where a Zoe turned up just before me so I had to wait nearly half an hour.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Twice with Leafs and once with a Model S.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Several times, LEAF and ZOEs only. Never to the point of being unable to find an alternative. Most often at local IKEA, once on the motorway (LEAF).

Worst was when I posted about the LEAF and ZOE blocking the rapids (both sides) while NEITHER of them charged, no owners in site (of if they were, they hid/kept quiet).

I know of at least one ZOE that uses the IKEA Ecotricity in lieu of a home charger.
There is a white zoe that uses it at lot as he can't get his home charger installed

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Tesla uses the AC plug on Rapids, yes? So even though it was still connected, if it had stopped charging, wouldn't you have been able to use the CHAdeMO connection?
Yes he would have, as on my zoe it stops at 98% and the charger DC side can be used

1 - 20 of 52 Posts