Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having asked the question and not had s definitive answer I am going to do an experiment today. I have time if necessary for a flatbed, but hope it doesn’t come to that.

What I can want to know is how many GIDs does LeafSpy show when low power mode is enabled. The car displays down to 1% from memory but has loads of GIDs.

The basis for my theory is that my Leaf24 I could take down to 6 GIDs.

So can I take the new Leaf 40 kWh down to that, which will be well ‘below’ 0%?

I will answer my question later.

I started the day with 12%, so don’t have to drive too far or maybe I will! The GOM was showing 24 miles.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Surely there must be at least a Nobel price in this?
Fundamental research into the mysteries of battery capacity for the benefit of the greater man kind. Or at least Leaf owners, or curious members of this forum :whistle:

Otherwise you may have to settle for a simple knighthood... :p

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So now you know @Schoolboy @John Weatherley @JeffG @BSven @Miles Roberts @QPRfan @ElectricIan @eddiec

Low battery came on at 6.7kWh or 9% on the dash (87 GIDs)

Even lower battery came on at 4.7kWh or 3% on the dash (61GIDs)

The car went to —- on the percentage at 3.1kWh or 40GIDs

I was on the motorway at this point!

The car goes into turtle at 0.7kWh or 9 GIDs and you get reduced power.

It runs out at 0.5kWh or 6 GIDs.

I managed 12 miles before I ran out.

The car started to judder badly as it came to a rest as I pulled off the road.

Luckily I picked a good neighbour who has solar, and the car is now charging on their solar on my granny lead. I made to within 1 from home...... I thought I was going to make it as it is all downhill, but it wouldn’t even coast without juddering! :eek:

So, you can take the car right down to 0.8kW without losing power.

I hope that helps fellow Leaf 40 owners.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly I can’t start the car yet. I would seem to need to get back to to something registering on the car dash.

I’m at 26 GIDs and it won’t enable drive yet. I was hoping it would. I’ll probably have to wait until it is over 40 GIDs. I will keep checking.

All useful information.

Somebody has to do it!!!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Interestingly I can’t start the car yet. I would seem to need to get back to to something registering on the car dash.

I’m at 26 GIDs and it won’t enable drive yet. I was hoping it would. I’ll probably have to wait until it is over 40 GIDs. I will keep checking.

All useful information.

Somebody has to do it!!!
I did a very similar test on my Ion, monitoring true battery percentage with Canion, except once I got it down to just entering turtle mode I parked it in the driveway in drive with the hand brake on and left it to drain the rest of the battery slowly just using the power drain from the "creep" in drive mode - which took about an hour while I was comfortably inside... :D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping to get home..... so close, but so far. I could roll home as it’s downhill, but the juddering worried me and didn’t stop when put in N.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
@MikeProcter thanks for sacrificing your time for the betterment of man. Can I just check? You got 12 miles from the point of --? What speed, road type were these 12 miles on?

From your description of running out, it seems exactly like my experience of the car dying when I was at 4%. Was the dash kit like a Christmas tree and did you have warnings on your screen.

Thanks again for taking one for the team.

P.s. only difference was mine started and drove when I went back about an hour later.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@MikeProcter thanks for sacrificing your time for the betterment of man. Can I just check? You got 12 miles from the point of --? What speed, road type were these 12 miles on?

From your description of running out, it seems exactly like my experience of the car dying when I was at 4%. Was the dash kit like a Christmas tree and did you have warnings on your screen.

Thanks again for taking one for the team.

P.s. only difference was mine started and drove when I went back about an hour later.
The dash was no different other than the turtle, which I forgot to photograph!

I was on the motorway at the time. Speed was 60mph. I then turned off and drive over the North Downs along the A22 to Whyteleafe then back past the Shell Rapid charger and the back up the North Downs. Then it was pretty much flat until Seldon Vale where there is a short by steep hill. The car crawled up it at 15mph as by now I was in turtle. Then I dropped back down towards home, all downhill, but ran out just over a mile from home. Mixture of speeds etc. Lots of climbing. Il look and see if there is any screen dumps in my Dropbox from LeafSpy later.

I would say don’t go by mileage but by the amount left according to LeafSpy.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The dash was no different other than the turtle, which I forgot to photograph!

I was on the motorway at the time. Sped was 60mph. I then turned off and drive over the North Downs along the A22 to Whyteleafe then back past the Shell Rapid charger and the back up the North Downs. Then it was pretty much flat until Seldon Vale where there is a short by steep hill. The car crawled up it at 15mph as by now I was in turtle. Then I dropped back down towards home, all downhill, but ran out just over a mile from home. Mixture of speeds etc. Lots of climbing. Il look and see if there is any screen dumps in my Dropbox from LeafSpy later.

I would say don’t go by mileage but by the amount left according to LeafSpy.
So probably a safe 8 miles on the motorway from --.

·
@LemonTea_Leaf
121 Posts
Brilliant work Mike, its great to know every last detail about the battery and this nugget of information is very handy to know when if we ever run on fumes.... what is the EV equivalent of running on fumes? If you're charging on a type 2 the battery temp shouldn't really go up high compare to jamming it in a CHAdeMO point.

so the SOC at 1.3% in the screenshot is where it conked out?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To put it in kWh, there is about 2.4kWh available to use before Mr turtle visits.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

All useful information.

Somebody has to do it!!!
The old LEAF was the same - having turtle'd it, you couldn't start back up until you'd put a couple of kwh in.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts