Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat at hopwood park services trying to charge car. Type 2 says on exotricity and zap map it’s a 43kwh charger but only done 6 in 45 mins. Does that sound right? Anyone similar experience. Don’t fancy sleeping in car HELP

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unless you have a Zoe you probably need DC. for a fast charge. Which car is it?

If your socket looks like type 2 with two additional connections below it then select ccs and find the lead which fits..

·
Registered
Ioniq
664 Posts
Hopwood has one charger that doesn't have CCS, and one that does but zap-map says it's knackered. Looking at zap-map depending on how much range you've got left I'd be tempted to try the geniepoint down the road in Redditch, if you can't get to the next one on your route?

Unless you have a rapid charging Zoe you must use the bigger CCS plug to rapid charge or you will just end up with a very slow charge even though it says "43kw" as your car can probably only accept 7 to 11kw using the type 2 plug.

There have been a few posts like this recently, caused by "43kw type 2" sounding fast for everybody when it really isn't. Is it just greater numbers driving EVs now, or covid car handovers being devoid of useful information?

Ecotricity really need to pull their finger out, it's pathetic having chargers without CCS on the motorway network, they've had years and have done nothing.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
6kW in 3/4hr is a standard 7.2kW charge, so normal for AC charging. As this is a type 2 car the DC charge will be CCS as mentioned. DC or Rapid charging with CCS uses a type2 plug with 2 extra contacts, bulky thing!
image of ccs2 here

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ecotricity really need to pull their finger out, it's pathetic having chargers without CCS on the motorway network, they've had years and have done nothing.
Several new sites just popped up in planning with multiple (6-10) ccs-only ecotricity chargers.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
There have been a few posts like this recently, caused by "43kw type 2" sounding fast for everybody when it really isn't. Is it just greater numbers driving EVs now, or covid car handovers being devoid of useful information?
Clearly the OP fits into the group that you identify. I think that the issue is that we are moving from early adopters who were willing to research properly before starting out to the uninterested who just see the cars as a means of getting from A to B. A similar issue of "wrong fueling" happened regularly when the move to diesel powered cars occurred, but then reduced. With the relative complexity of different standards and the confusion of AC and DC rapid charging I suspect that this will plague us for a long time yet.
Wonder whether we'll ever hear from our NHS funded OP ever again? :rolleyes: :unsure:

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
985 Posts
The problem is it doesn't matter if CCS is fitted to the charger or not. People don't get education and just stick with what they know. If they use Type 2 at home, they'll use type 2 at a rapid charger, thinking anything else is wrong and may even damage their car.

Fastned even have labels on the Type 2 connectors saying its for Zoe only. But I've watched 2 cars plug in to AC and then walk off, despite the signage.

·
Registered
Ioniq
664 Posts
Several new sites just popped up in planning with multiple (6-10) ccs-only ecotricity chargers.
Waitwhatnow where?

That sounds like massive news, do you know any more?

Edit: never mind, I've just seen your post about it, I shall go read that!

·
Registered
16,796 Posts
The problem is it doesn't matter if CCS is fitted to the charger or not. People don't get education and just stick with what they know. If they use Type 2 at home, they'll use type 2 at a rapid charger, thinking anything else is wrong and may even damage their car.

Fastned even have labels on the Type 2 connectors saying its for Zoe only. But I've watched 2 cars plug in to AC and then walk off, despite the signage.
Only the other week I saw an iPace owner trying to use a Tesla Supercharger.

He seemed surprised when I told him it wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Putting two and two together - bear with me

NHS employee - very cheap deals on e-Tron's.

e-Tron's can be charged using a Type 2 from either side, but on CCS only on the UK Passenger side (at least accord to PodPoint).

Perhaps the OP wasn't aware that it was different side to side and hence could only use AC on the Drivers side even if the CCS was available and working (and that's a big IF)? :unsure: :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts