Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying an Audi A3 etron to do my daily commute to work. At the moment, I do 45 miles to work and 45 miles back every day. So 90 miles in total.

10 miles is dual carriageway at around 70mph.
20 miles is single carriageway at around 40 - 50mph average.
The rest is smaller country roads and residential areas.

At the moment, i'm averaging 42mpg for the journey, so according to current diesel costs and fuel-economy.co.uk, im paying £11.50 a day to do the journey. So roughly £230 a month to get to work and back.

My work place has just has chargers installed in the parking area. So if i charge over night at home and then charge at work, can I do half the 45 mile journey (or as many miles as possible) on electric mode only, and then switch to hybrid mode for the rest? If so, can anyone tell me what sort of fuel saving I would be looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,

You'll find your car will start in EV (electric) mode initially. If I'm going more than the electric range (over 20 miles at this time of the year) I switch into hybrid mode quite quickly (when I get to a biggish road and there is the likelihood of some 30+mph driving to allow for the petrol engine to warm up without too much stop-start initially). This tends to give me the best blend of electric / petrol driving with the petrol engine cutting in at 45mph+ (or earlier if I accelerate briskly) and electric mode for lower speeds and stop-start driving. My guess is that by the end of 45 miles you'll be pretty much down on electric charge (1 or 2 out of 8 bars) - this will depend on things like hills towards the end of the journey.

I once worked out over a cumulative distance of some 8000 miles I got an average of 58 "mpg" (I worked out how much petrol I could buy for the amount of electricity I used and then added the actual petrol used to arrive at this "mpg") - fiddling with various other Audi figures suggested an average 63% electricity/petrol split. Overall my fuel cost around 8.5p per mile - then add in the depreciation...

Cheers, Stefan

·
Registered
306 Posts
As you dont have enough electric range to do a jouney best to start in hybrid auto for best economy. When your electric range is about equal to distance to destinstion switch to electric. You soon learn when best to switch if you do the trip regular.

I would esimate 1/2gal per way and £0.90 for electric charge - depends what work charge.

Why not ask or a test drive over a couple of days. But remember mpg displayed is not acurate as it assumes electric is free!!!!!

DONT FORGET- Annual oil change is about £240 first year and every other year and service oil change about £430 second year every other year. (Or 9000mls) There is no variable service option for oil change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, seems like it would save around £100 in fuel a month.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If my mother's etron's experience is to go by, she is frustrated that she did not go full electric as the 20 EV miles quickly run out.

For the kind of journey you could easily use a 40kW Zoe or at push 30kWh Leaf that would pay for themselves in fuel savings alone.

You would be spending over £3,500 on fuel alone. A second hand EV will not depreciate that fast, so you would be quids in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! I suppose the only thing about a leaf or a Zoe is that they aren't quite as nice as the Audi A3.
I for one am also hoping that an aftermarket battery or two springs up, increasing the etron's range. My dealer seemed to think this would very likely happen, but obviously wouldn't be something Audi officially did. As they will want to sell the next version.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you want to go electric on a private purchase, then what Phil W said makes sense.

In my view, PHEVs only make financial sense for Company Car drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Somebody, if only the A3, 1-series, a-class etc were offered in an all-electric version! Maybe soon eh?

In the mean time, I think the etron would still save me money and be a good looking car with a nice interior. I think that if I can do as many miles in electric-only mode and then switch to hybrid mode for the rest, that will surely save me a fair bit of cash in fuel. The fact that I can charge at work for free helps a lot I suppose.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you are looking at reducing your costs and want to drive fun cars (the etron apparently is a bit gutless once the leccy has run out). Then take a few EVs out for a test drive. You may be surprised.

However it sounds like you have your heart set on an Audi and are trying to make the maths work and your views confirmed. I am not criticising, just trying to be realistic.

·
Registered
982 Posts
As for aftermarket batteries, don't get your hopes up. It is very manually intensive (read expensive) to build battery packs and integrate them into the car's BMS. Car manufacturers are not going to make it easy for independents to do this. They want you to buy new shiny cars every 3 years not extend the life of your current one.

However there was a couple of guys who managed to replace the new egolf pack that currently does 80miles with one that does 200miles. I think they were mainly trying to prove that Volkswagen Group have no interest in making EVs with decent range.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You didn't say whether you were buying new but if you are the A3 e-tron costs considerably more than the diesel/petrol equivalent, so although there might some fuel savings have you taken the higher purchase cost into account?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,320 Posts
I am surprised no-one has suggested the BMW i3? The new 94 Ah version would work as a BEv and you have the option to go Rex if you are really not comfortable going pure EV straight off the bat.

In comparison to the A3 e-Tron it is a similar price as the e-Tron starts at £36,040.00.

The looks of the i3 can be Marmite so you may already have ruled it out but I would suggest it is a much better fit for your needs than the A3.

Just a thought

Derek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all your input. I have looked at the eGolf, i3 and others, even the 3-series 330e. I find the eGolf looks ok but a little boring, the i3 looks awful and my missus wont let me buy it haha, the 330e is nice but to get decent looks you have to go for the M-Sport and thats just too expensive. I don't like the interior either, or the thought of becoming a BMW driver haha ;-)

It seems they have just updated the eGolf and there are very few around. I might try and get a quote on a 2017 model with the new increased range. There is always range anxiety with a pure electric car and im not sure what the new eGolf range is right now.

The etron im looking at is a 66 plate facelift in grey for £25k, it has a high residual value so the monthly cost on a PCP is quite low with my old car in as part exchange (£170 a month for 3 years). That would get me to 2020 and electric cars will be a lot better and readily available I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts