Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m shortly going to be buying a Leaf.

It will have a 30kW battery and I will likely need a 6.6kW charger.

The biggest bonus with the Tekna over the Acenta seems to be the heated seats and steering wheel reduces need for heating the car in the winter. However, I have three kids in car seats who won’t benefit from the seat heaters.... how much does the range actually drop in the winter with the heaters on for either the Tekna or accenta?

If I buy a car with a 3.6kw charger, can I just buy an additional 6.6kW lead? If so, around how much are they?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I have a 2015 Tekna 24 which has a heat pump, this uses less power than a conventional electric heater. I can't tell you how it affects the range in miles, I set my heating/aircon at 21 degrees on auto just after I got the car and I seem to average 4.5mls per kWh.

I bought a 8metre, 16amp lead from EVbitz who are based on a Scottish island. It was about £125/150 from memory, a 32amp lead will be more expensive but I found them to be the cheapest. It was delivered within 48hrs and came with a free bag, I'm fairly sure postage was also free.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What range you lose is variable, however you may lose ~1-15 miles then that will reduce as the cabin heats up. The car's GOM range and the infotainment screen lets you know what your miles reduction is when the heating is turned on. This on top of any range reduction due to the battery being cold. Therefore it's advisable to always pre heat the car via the car timer or app when it's still plugged in (so not to use the main battery) so it's nice a warm and frost free on your departure, thus reducing range loss. You can also use the pre heat function via the app when you aren't plugged in and it will run for a maximum 15 minutes using the main battery, again range loss is variable but if you have enough battery % then why not use, you can also stop the pre heat anytime via the app.
If I recall, the 30kWh models were all issued with both the 3 pin EVSE in a bag and a 32A Delphi branded T1-T2 cable as standard. However that's no guarantee that a used 30kWh will still have them both but it's a good bartering start point if any are missing.
I may be wrong but I'm getting the feeling by your cable question that you may 'think' you'll get the higher rate of charge by just buying a 32A cable? The cable is only 'rated' for 32A maximum, ie the diameter of the internal wires and plug fixings so you are therefore able to use anything lower than that rate, ie 16A (3.6kW).
If the car has the 3.6kW 16A on-board AC charger then even if you plug into a 7.2kW 32A rated charge device (home, street post etc), even with a 32A 'rated' cable, you'll only ever charge at that maximum 3.6kW 16A rate as it's the car that has the electronics and AC charger. So you'll only ever get about 12-15 miles range per hour via the car's AC charger. With the 6.6kW on board AC charger, a 32A rated T1-T2 cable and from a 7.2kW 32A rated home wall point or street post, you'll get approximately double the range per hour at about 24-30 miles.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Having now had heated seats and steering wheel, I would never want to go back to not having them!
Even with those, I still used the heater.
For me,the sensation of having a warm seat and hands was ruined when the cabin air surrounding me was cold.
Really unpleasant feeling, couldn't bear it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A lot. If you want to be comfortable and treat the heating as you would in a fossil powered car, I would say you can knock a fifth of the range you get in the summer easily. On days close to 0ºC I would knock off 25%.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

The biggest bonus with the Tekna over the Acenta seems to be the heated seats and steering wheel reduces need for heating the car in the winter. However, I have three kids in car seats who won’t benefit from the seat heaters.... how much does the range actually drop in the winter with the heaters on for either the Tekna or accenta?

If I buy a car with a 3.6kw charger, can I just buy an additional 6.6kW lead? If so, around how much are they?

Thanks!
To summarise @Colin for absolutely clarity...

You cannot upgrade a 3.6kW car to 6.6kW car (*).
Both the tekna and acenta have heat pumps. There is no difference there.

(*) Well you can but it's cheaper to change the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
how much does the range actually drop in the winter with the heaters on for either the Tekna or accenta?
Winter weather knocks about 10-20 miles off the range before you even turn the heater on.

The heater eats about 1 to 3 miles of range to warm up the interior from cold. You will notice that if you make many short trips. You can preheat the car when it is plugged in. That will help plus you get into a car that is already warm.

Once the car is warm it uses only a few miles of range.

That's with the heat set to 18. If you have it on 20 or 22 it will use a little more.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
To summarise @Colin for absolutely clarity...

You cannot upgrade a 3.6kW car to 6.6kW car (*).
Both the tekna and acenta have heat pumps. There is no difference there.

(*) Well you can but it's cheaper to change the car.
Not at all.
Used 6.6KW parts do come up on ebay., albeit very rarely, for around £500-£600.
The fitting seems relatively straightforward, it all just bolts onto the top of the motor.
Even the dash is ready-made for the 6.6KW, it changes to the dual display itself.
I'd give it a go no problem, but never felt the need for the 6.6 at all.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The on-board charger swap is not supported by Nissan and likely voids the warranty.
Fair warning.
Probably 'may' affect the warranty is more appropriate.
If you've got a good dealer and the retro-fit is done to their liking, they may be happy to proceed with any warranty claims.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,262 Posts
Why will you 'need' 6.6kW? Can you provide an example of when needed?

You can buy a 32A lead, in fact you may struggle to buy a 16A lead these days they are pretty much 30A as standard. Of course it will still charge at 16A if either the charger or the car (or both) are 16A limited, but getting a 32A lead means you have it for the future, whatever that is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. You’ve added to my Leaf understanding!! I was under the impression that the 3.6 vs 6.6kw has to do with the cable rather than the actual car itself. Thought I had the basics sussed, but apparently not! Thanks for clearing that up! :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
@Leila Seems so long ago (4 years) that I produced my LEAF Introductory Guide. Maybe some of the information is still relevant for you to gain further understanding.

LEAF Introductory Guide

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I
Why will you 'need' 6.6kW? Can you provide an example of when needed?

You can buy a 32A lead, in fact you may struggle to buy a 16A lead these days they are pretty much 30A as standard. Of course it will still charge at 16A if either the charger or the car (or both) are 16A limited, but getting a 32A lead means you have it for the future, whatever that is.
I generally do up to 90miles per day but occasionally do more and would need to charge in the middle of the day. Although I wouldn’t have a rapid charge point at home, I would hopefully be able to get a bit more change in on a quick stop off at home with a 6.6kW.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
@Bol d'or I'm honestly struggling to see much price difference with the 6.6kW charger. It seems to have very little effect on the resale value. I don't know why this is.
This is choosing the closest comparable cars I could find offhand.

2016 15k miles £14,990 (16 plate)
2016 Red NISSAN LEAF (30kWh) Acenta 5dr for sale for £14990 in Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire

2016 20k miles £14,995 6.6kW (66 plate)
2016 Red NISSAN LEAF (30kWh) Acenta 5dr for sale for £14995 in Southampton, Hampshire

As an aside prices are holding up remarkably well too.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Thanks!
I sat for around 40 minutes on a cold day recently in my Leaf 30 and was still showing the same % charge (62, as it happened) when I drove away as when I pulled up. So the answer appears to be not much effect at all. Sorry to all you diehard leafers who never switch any heat on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts