Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
There was a link to the electric fish website. I looked at it an based my views on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This might help

·
Super Moderator
11,967 Posts
There were no assertions, it's a survey!

But I am here to answer your questions!

LEAF has DC fast charging.... Nominally 50kW CHAdeMO but the survey lumped it in with level 1 cars.

Tesla's can charge at over 100kW but the survey put them in with 50kW cars.

Survey marked some of my answers as "wrong". It isn't a survey if you predetermine what answers are correct.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What did if for you?

The claim of charging your EV in 5 minutes next to a picture of a BMW plug-in-hybrid on an AC slow charger?
that’s style, for me there’s too little information about the product itself. Motorways? Home? Work? Supermarket?

i can charge my Zoe for 5 mins, heck for 1 second. Ah... charge it in 5 mins is a different story.

100 miles in 5 mins implies 250kW or there about. There’s no vehicle, to my knowledge, that Can practically sustain such a rate. 180kW is the highest, Tesla S/X.

To me the whole business model is odd and there are no descriptions at all. Reaching parity between charging and fueling times will cost you dearly in grid connection, batteries for buffering and fines during peak times for drawing 250kW x 20 vehicles; grid operator will hate you for shutting down Mrs. Smith kettle, and she’ll sue, because she missed an episode of her soap opera! To counter that, the grid operator puts huge fines for large instant, unplanned draw from the grid during peak times, because you destabilize the grid.

You have an opportunity to give ‘free’ electricity to a customer that’s captive 30 minutes or more; why not bank on that and part them from their cash with other services!?

how much would i pay? Nothing, because a) can’t afford such a car in the first place and b) I might need that charge rate twice a year, for an odd trip.

Charge the car while you’re not using it. For long journeys think of slowing down and enjoy life for a few minutes. Reaching your destination is only a part of the equation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts