Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How much should I be paying for car insurance?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  John Kendrick 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I' m picking up my Nissan Leaf 30kw this pm and just remembered to get it insured!

I rang the RAC who via Aviva have quoted £800 to include one year GAP insurance and £200 excess. I know the Leaf (2017 reg) is much newer and more expensive than my old Aygo, but even so this seems very expensive to me. Anyone find a bargain policy for their EV?

I may post this in the Leaf forum as well.

#2 ·
insurance; it's a minefield so call around but don't buy GAP included as there are plenty separated GAP insurance companies doing it for less

#3 ·
also, check whether your insurance policy includes new-for-old for the first 12 months ... many do, making the value of gap insurance limited for the first year. I bought my gap insurance just before my insurance was due for renewal.

I got a good quote from Hastings Direct. DL, Admiral, LV, NFU are all mentioned quite often on these fora, but I'd just use a price comparison site, personally.

Your dealer might have covered your insurance for 24-48 hours.

#5 · (Edited)
Within the 'details' highlight age, no claims discount and other drivers on the policy. Even an insurance underwriter couldn't answer that question without you competing their application form to assess the risk. You may get a quote around £200 and another for around £2000. Shop around.

PS A dealer shouldn't release the car to you unless you have insurance in place, they'll want to see the certificate. Nissan do gap insurance too.
If you drove it without insurance and get caught by the police your Leaf may get crushed by them before you even get it home!

Reactions: Jan Morris
#8 ·
Hi Everyone,

I discovered on picking up car, that I'm covered for 7 days by Nissan, but on £1k excess, so will get going on comparison sights, Direct Line and goskippy and others mentioned tomorrow.

I have GAP cover with Nissan, so will ask them to take this element out if possible.

My location is Bristol, I'm a low mileage driver, I have at least 10 years no claims and no other driver. I have 3 points on my licence and I'm not a spring chicken! I could afford £800 if no other choice, but who would do that if they could save money by asking around for advice?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply - you've been very helpful.

#9 ·
Given what you say I'd have thought you could have (at least) halved that. So fingers crossed for you. £1000 excess? Wow!

#10 ·
My wife got this quote direct from AA, which includes myself as named driver. Comparethemarket.com gave a quote also from AA of £207. Existing insurer Admiral quoted £344, almost double last year's premium.

Thank you for getting a quote to insure your RENAULT ZOE DYNAMIQUE NAV AUTO with the AA.

Give us a call on 0800 316 1197 to confirm your details, or simply click here to retrieve your quote and buy online.

Your Details
Your Quote: £163.87
Pay monthly from just: £15.37 a month*
Your Quote Reference: WW3MW21*****

Car Make: RENAULT
Car Model: ZOE DYNAMIQUE NAV AUTO
No Claims Discount: 9 years
Voluntary Excess: £250

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.