Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have been quoted 拢825 with the grant off for a Zappi and install does this sound about right as I have no idea?
Thanks for any help 馃槉

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
Sounds about right to me for a Zappi, as they are not the cheapest of chargers. Your quote may be even a bit on the cheap side.
Others chargers are cheaper (i.e. around the 500-600 mark).

Registered
I was quoted about 拢600 after the OLEV grant for a ProjectEV charger and a slightly complicated installation. Also getting another 拢300 cashback from EST, so total cost to me is quoted as a smudge over 拢300.

Short term PHEV
2020 i3
I was quoted 拢700 a month or so ago for the Zappi, straightforward install no complications, tethered unit. Looked at cheaper chargers that would save me 拢100 but functionality and quality of the Zappi is probably worth the extra.

Registered
I was quoted 拢725 for the straightforward installation on a zappi but it got more complicated as I needed a new cable run to the garage.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
I've just been quoted 拢971 inc vat after the grant, which will be assuming a standard install, which mine is not. I'm almost definitely not going to go with it for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I know they're going to add another grand on when they see the install.

Registered
Kona64
Remember to check .... 3.3kw or 7, tethered or not.
Often the headline grabbing low price turns out to be a lot higher when you specify what > you < want.
Plus any funnies about earth rods, 100amp fuse boards etc.

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
I've just been quoted 拢971 inc vat after the grant, which will be assuming a standard install, which mine is not. I'm almost definitely not going to go with it for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I know they're going to add another grand on when they see the install.
The company that fitted my Ohme for 拢600 was quoting 拢970 for the Zappi, IIRC.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
The Zappi needs the internet connected hub in order to meet OLEV requirements. Depending on the install that can be problematic. Without testing I have high confidence where I have to site the charger means it wouldn't be able to communicate with the hub reliably, another reason the Zappi doesn't appeal.

Registered
I have been quoted 拢825 with the grant off for a Zappi and install does this sound about right as I have no idea?
Thanks for any help
If you don't specifically want the Zappi, there are cheaper alternatives that work fine. E.g Podpoint.

I paid 拢350 about 6 months ago, including installation and grant deduction, but it might be more now.

Registered
I am hoping these wallbox prices start coming down in the new year as these prices can't really be justified in the long term with large scale EV adoption.

I am getting my EV in December and am planning to use the Granny brick for the first few months as I am not expecting to need more that 30 miles day on average with me WfH for 2 or more days a week.

In the meantime, I have updated the garage electrics with a secondary consumer unit on the wall immediately behind where the wallbox would be required so any installation would take no more than a couple of feet of cabling.

Registered
I've always assumed the price is really the price after the grant. The grant being excess profit for the installer.

Example :- price 拢300 +fitting 拢300 + grant 拢350 = 拢950, price after grant 拢600.
One of the problems is that it is taking 8 months or more for the installers to get their money from OLEV apparently, So they are building the OLEV wait and paperwork into the cost.

You don't have to use the OLEV grant and the associated "Smart" wallbox. A standard box + your usual spark will often be cheaper, they will do the DNO paperwork which is less of a pain then the OLEV stuff.

Registered
I presume that these standard boxes will need earth rods ...

Apart from the longer charge time, what us the downside of relying on the 13A brick.?

Registered
Some will need rods, some not depends on the box, there is also a separate box apparently that does the DC detection and eliminates the need for a earth rod.
The problem with the brick is the plug/socket, the regular use can make the socket contacts loosen and then heating occurs leading to trouble, a similar fault happens where the wires are screwed into the back of the socket, they can loosen and then heating occurs. Changing the socket now and again should help. You need to check for heating. The 13A plug was not designed for continuous use over many hours. The Type 1 and 2 connectors are designed for continuous use.
Some on here suggest fitting industrial 16A plugs to the brick and a 16A shuttered socket to the wall. This ought to be OK as the plug/socket known as commando plugs and sockets are designed for this type of use. However the plugs on the brick are often fitted with thermal sensors so you can not just cut off the plug and replace. :(

Short term PHEV
2020 i3
The Zappi needs the internet connected hub in order to meet OLEV requirements. Depending on the install that can be problematic. Without testing I have high confidence where I have to site the charger means it wouldn't be able to communicate with the hub reliably, another reason the Zappi doesn't appeal.
Would a wi-fi repeater help?

Registered
Would a wi-fi repeater help?
Or a Powerline Adapter? Although that may mean adding a 13A socket by the charging point!

edit - sorry just saw the OP that is needs a Hub, so I think that would need a 13A socket within the wireless range of the Zappi to create a link to the Hub, then powerline back to the router. I'be used powerline - but not Zappi!

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
I've always assumed the price is really the price after the grant. The grant being excess profit for the installer.

Example :- price 拢300 +fitting 拢300 + grant 拢350 = 拢950, price after grant 拢600.
One of the problems is that it is taking 8 months or more for the installers to get their money from OLEV apparently, So they are building the OLEV wait and paperwork into the cost.

You don't have to use the OLEV grant and the associated "Smart" wallbox. A standard box + your usual spark will often be cheaper, they will do the DNO paperwork which is less of a pain then the OLEV stuff.
To be honest, I do agree, the law of unintended consequences - all that offering a grant does is hike the price. Within a year or so of the grant being phased out, fitting a charger will still likely cost around the same as it does now I reckon. Same concept as with the feed in tariffs, it just inflated the price of solar (massively) because the pay back times were still viable.

I would be happy now to see the grants removed and the money spent on the public charging infrastructure instead. Use it to take the Electric Highway into public ownership so some proper money can be spent on it before it is sold back to the highest bidder. But of course, I would say that wouldn't I - now that I have had mine fitted :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I was quoted about 拢1000 for Zappi and 拢500 for Ohme wall charger after OLEV. The Ohme has its own 4G card so connects to internet without need for WiFi connection. I went for Ohme and very happy.
Some of the other posts seem to imply its the charger you buy that determines if you need an earthing rod which is not quite correct. Whether you need one is determined by your electrical supply's earthing configuration. Most TNS or TNCS (PME) systems don't need one if readings are good. A TT system requires earthing rod. You can get some chargers that have the earth fault protection built in so avoiding the need for a separate earthing rod e.g. Zappi or Podpoint? Always check with your installer.

Registered
I was quoted about 拢1000 for Zappi and 拢500 for Ohme wall charger after OLEV. The Ohme has its own 4G card so connects to internet without need for WiFi connection. I went for Ohme and very happy.
Some of the other posts seem to imply its the charger you buy that determines if you need an earthing rod which is not quite correct. Whether you need one is determined by your electrical supply's earthing configuration. Most TNS or TNCS (PME) systems don't need one if readings are good. A TT system requires earthing rod. You can get some chargers that have the earth fault protection built in so avoiding the need for a separate earthing rod e.g. Zappi or Podpoint? Always check with your installer.
This post is about 90% totally wrong. Please don't post anymore such rubbish

1 - 20 of 35 Posts