Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I was wondering how many of you don't have home charging like me.

Since I solely rely on public units, I find that I sometimes have to deliberately go out for the purpose of charging (e.G. before a long trip). Anyone else in a similar situation? How often would you say this happens and do you have any advice or useful tips?

Thanks!

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Don't charge before a long trip. Charge after instead. Lots of cars will recharge at a rapid charger noticeably faster especially in winter if you have heated the battery by driving a long distance. Get into the habit of charging it back up straight after use and it will probably save some time.

Additionally, adopt the ABC Technique (Always Be Charging) - Anytime you see the opportunity to charge, do so, even if you don't need the range at that very moment. Even if you are just running into a store for 5-10 minutes but they have a charger outside, use it to boost your range so it's ready to just jump in and drive off when you need to go on one of these longer journeys.

Despite what I said above, depending on your car you might want to avoid leaving it parked up for extended periods with either a completely full, or very low level of charge remaining. This can cause accelerated wear to the battery pack.

Finally, make use of AC Charging where possible to go to 100% every now and then. This is the only way to allow cell balancing to take place on many EVs. It's important for the health of your battery and will also give you a slight range boost when your battery has nicely balanced cells throughout.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hey guys!

I was wondering how many of you don't have home charging like me.

Since I solely rely on public units, I find that I sometimes have to deliberately go out for the purpose of charging (e.G. before a long trip). Anyone else in a similar situation? How often would you say this happens and do you have any advice or useful tips?

Thanks!
I wouldn't waste that much time. The charge point was only a couple of miles from me, so would just be the time it took me to drive to the post, plug in, then walk home. I would typically coincide it with a run or doing the shopping (was next to a Waitrose). Given it was a 7kW post, I would jus leave it for a few hours then come back when fully charged.

Fortunately I moved house with a drive couple of weeks back so this no longer is something I have to deal with. Certainly would be annoying when the post was being used or was out of order....

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I wouldnt own an EV currently without home charging. The odd rapid charge here and there when required is annoying enough without having to deal with that daily.

The massive benefit of an EV for me is it charges when i'm doing something else. Be that working, or Sleeping etc.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,718 Posts
Pfft.....
I get my butler to do it instead.
Gives me more time for quaffing champers.
Aragon is right. Although I promote the benefits of EVs whenever I can, I never recommend them to anyone without the ability to have home charging.
That way you can quaff champagne without the need for a butler.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Aragon is right. Although I promote the benefits of EVs whenever I can, I never recommend them to anyone without the ability to have home charging.
That way you can quaff champagne without the need for a butler.
Don't be silly ! A butler needs years of training to be able to store, open & serve champagne. Definitely a false economy to try and manage it yourself !

Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
I’m waiting for my home charger to be installed so I have no choice but to go out to charge. Fortunately there are various free chargers about 10 minutes walk from home. Sometimes I leave the car there for the day on a 7kw charger, sometimes I sit at a 50kw charger for 40 minutes ... which is what I did today. It was lovely because I had peace and quiet from the noisy teenager and barky dogs, and I took a cup of tea in a travel mug and surfed the internet - which is exactly what I’d have been doing at home anyway! It’s nice to have a hobby

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,718 Posts
And once you get your home charger you won't have that excuse to escape from home. So I guess there's a downside to everything.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I live in a flat but I can charge at work sometimes and have some points near me that are currently free.
When needed I've left the car in the morning at a charger and taken a 20min bike ride home, then in the late afternoon rode back and collected the car.

It's never been too big an issue with me, a larger battery helps with this as well. In my leafs it needed a bit more time charging but then I do still plug in and charge almost daily now as I do at least 50miles a day.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
And once you get your home charger you won't have that excuse to escape from home. So I guess there's a downside to everything.
Indeed - that must be why I keep forgetting to chase up the electrician ...;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts