Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some chargers are associated with pubs. Others with Hotels which are probably somewhere on the hit list.

So are we going to find out the hard way if we can't get to some chargers?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,937 Posts
I'd assume all chargers in pub car parks and hotels are inaccessible personally....

Charge at home only for now?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Probably best idea anyway. Why gamble on the (admittedly small) chance of catching the virus by handling a public charger. Maybe a few ICE drivers will take he hint ?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,937 Posts
I'd think chargers at fuel stations and supermarkets would be relatively ok but far busier.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd think chargers at fuel stations and supermarkets would be relatively ok but far busier.
From what I've seen so far, traffic is much lighter than usual, so presumably demand for chargers will be too. Mind you there's not much left I can use the car for with a clean conscience. I'm working from home now.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,023 Posts
Will just need to be careful if it’s a pub or hotel where you have to enter your registration number into a screen in reception.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the past, I've experienced Holiday Inn staff shutting off the power to the charger when they close reception for the night. If they've shuttered the hotel, they may well have cut power again. Personally I'd be avoiding those Polar locations.

We're probably going to see a growing wave of sites that have errors. Local staff (e.g. petrol forecourt staff) are often prohibited from touching the chargers. Roaming service people are probably going to be reduced if they're working at all. So once a unit has an error it might stay that way for a while unless they can fix it remotely.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I can agree the roads were very empty on Friday on my way to London and I have never seen it so quiet here even at 3 am on my short walk from hotel to office. It's very very eerie and my journey home today I expect to see very empty roads. I do wish I had a much bigger battery now mind so I could do it in one hit instead of 2-3 and have some speed but hey ho, it will be a free drive home at least

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,849 Posts
I've been seeing several tweets from some of the assorted charger networks, saying how they'll be sending out deep cleaning teams to their chargers regularly.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I've been seeing several tweets from some of the assorted charger networks, saying how they'll be sending out deep cleaning teams to their chargers regularly.
How regular is regular? It only needs one person with the virus (hopefully unknowingly!) to handle the equipment and it's contaminated for quite some time.

The only safe way is to keep gloves in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
How regular is regular? It only needs one person with the virus (hopefully unknowingly!) to handle the equipment and it's contaminated for quite some time.

My gloves are ready for a work journey tomorrow that can’t be done from home, but I’ve been doing that for a couple of weeks now anyway. It’s like driving a diesel again!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The charger controls may sense your fingers through capacitance, in which case normal gloves won't work. There are screen gloves, with conductive fibres, which ought to do it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,849 Posts
The charger controls may sense your fingers through capacitance, in which case normal gloves won't work. There are screen gloves, with conductive fibres, which ought to do it.
Or a pound shop "tablet stylus" kept in the car would also do the trick.

Like these:-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts