Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How many times a day (24hrs) do you plug in (at home, work, public chargers etc.) on average?

• BEV: less than once a day

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • BEV: once a day or less

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • BEV: 3 times a day or less

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • BEV: 5 times a day or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • BEV: more than 5 times a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PHEV/REX: less than once a day

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • PHEV/REX: once a day or less

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • PHEV/REX: 3 times a day or less

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • PHEV/REX: 5 times a day or less

• PHEV/REX: more than 5 times a day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be interesting to see how often people plug in to charge their EVs (whether at home, work, destination, public chargers, etc.) and if the frequency differs between BEV and PHEV/REX drivers.

In answering the poll, please select the option that best applies to you e.g. if you are a BEV driver and change twice a day on average select the 3rd option. If you are a PHEV/REX driver and plug in to charge each night (i.e. once a day on average) select the 7th option.

Please feel free to comment on your selection as well.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that PHEV/REX might be too large a category, it includes the i3 with a range of 80 miles and the Outlander with a range of 20. I suspect they might view things differently.
Fair point but I was trying to not have too many options in the list e.g. BEVs include GWiz and Teslas and everything in between!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd only get true frequency difference if your study group has an equal number of BEV and PHEV/ReX users.

I'm not sure you will find that to be true of the membership here, BEV's are likely to outweigh pretty much everything else because they've been available for longer, and are less expensive than the typical PHEV/ReX vehicles you could choose to purchase.

Your poll assumes people are daily users I'd guess?!?! Again, not everyone is. That affects charging frequency more than any other factor I would suggest.
I agree that the results cannot be aggregates between BEVs and PHEV/REX but it will be possible to look at the distribution of charging frequency for each separately and compare the results.

It doesn't assume just daily users hence the option for charging less than once a day (and also for those with low daily mileage). To allow for all variations (e.g. battery size, age of vehicle, daily mileage) would be very cumbersome and not really work due to the small numbers in each segment.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually once a day unless my wife uses the car in the evenings and then it's twice. Obviously on longer journeys this could increase to 4 - 5 times!
Thanks - I appreciate that frequency could vary with usage - just average it out over a time period that you think is appropriate e.g. 6 months (or less depending on how long you have had the car).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It varies quite a bit for us. If we've used less than 10% and there is nothing much planned for the following day we don't bother to plug in overnight. Of we've used more than 30% we will plug in. Normally, we charge up to 80% but if I meed more than that (I did today) 'll top up an hour or so before leaving. The car was on 98% when I went out at lunch time.

My wife and I have each been pottering about since then so it's down to about 60%. We're pushing it back up past 80% and may well drop in on Thurrock for a top-up as we are staying with our daughter and we have no destination charging. That, hopefully, will mean that we don't have to go 10 or more miles out of our way to one of the Medway/Maidstone rapid chargers. We may have enough to get home without charging tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Where is the once per week option ? :p

But on a serious note I'm struggling to see how this number will help? :confused:

The car you have makes a massive difference, as does you average distance, and if you have home charging or not.

It's a bit like saying on an ICE forum how many times do you go to a petrol station:

In the bad old days of ICE commuting, once a week in my car that did 35mpg, but a tiny fuel tank, once a fortnight in my truck that did 24mpg, but a massive tank.

Same goes for usage:
I drove to Monaco earlier this year, and at 300+ miles a day average, I stopped at least twice a day.
I did a track day, and had to fill up four times.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On a typical week I plug in on a Monday and the full charge lasts me till Friday, where I charge again and that lasts till Monday, rinse and repeat.

I need to make the occasional ad hoc journey of 50/60 miles for work and the odd 350 mile round trip to see family, otherwise I'd have a BEV. That said, I've an old Ferrari 360 in the garage that I use on sunny weekends and I'm giving serious thought to changing it and the PHEV to a Tesla.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Over the past 85 days I have charged 205 times, mostly at home, at my second charger at a relative, and 6 rapid chargers. Covered 3370 miles. That makes 16.4 miles between charges on average, ranging from as little as 1.5kwh to 23.4 kwh (indicated) . With a convenient home charge point I simply plug in each time I park at home. Due to the age of a relative I try to keep fully charged in case of bad news, and the midnight telephone call.
I checked the figures from LEAF spy this morning, they all show as high as when new.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Separating out the charging frequencies between BEVs and PHEV/REX, the results so far are summarised as follows:

Freq BEV PHEV/REX
<1 36% 5%
<=1 38% 50%
<=3 24% 45%
<=5 2% 0%
>5 0% 0%

Appreciate that charging frequency depends on many factors, but above suggests that BEV drivers plug in a bit less frequently than PHEV/REX drivers. Possibly due to smaller batteries for PHEVs (but not REX).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts