Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Wow I am interested in a lot of these comments as so far touch wood I have found all the fast/ rapid chargers that I have used to be ok. That includes Ecotricity, Shell, ones at IKEA (can’t remember the make) plus using my home Pod-Point for top up. I have travelled over 500 miles in last few days and used CCS charging a number of times. Perhaps I have just been lucky. The biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable and I have a fully loaded boot but they tend to have been slower chargers.
Your own cable has naff all to do with CCS🤣

·
Registered
922 Posts
Presumably your domestic supplier is Ecotricity then. If you have a different supplier, then 39p/kWh is more expensive than Instavolt at 35p/kWh, and much more expensive than Polar Instant at 25p/kWh (as long as you take at least 5kWh to cover the minimum charge).
But if you're doing a motorway journey, it's just not worth the extra time & hassle to leave the motorway to get to an Instavolt or Polar installation, just to save £3 or so. Especially bearing in mind some of those other chargers might not be located at places with toilets & food. My time is worth more than that.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
. I have travelled over 500 miles in last few days and used CCS charging a number of times. Perhaps I have just been lucky. The biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable
Using CCS a couple of times and the biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable

Looks all to be in the same train of thought.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Using CCS a couple of times and the biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable

Looks all to be in the same train of thought.....
No was making a separate point. CCS has worked fine for me. But main problem I have encountered is supermarkets when my boot has been full and the charging point requires you to use your own cable. If the cable is packed under the luggage then it is too much of a faff to unload everything for what is a slow charge. Instead best sticking to the tethered
faster chargers which have so far worked well for me. Hope this is now clearer for you 🤪

·
Registered
640 Posts
No was making a separate point. CCS has worked fine for me. But main problem I have encountered is supermarkets when my boot has been full and the charging point requires you to use your own cable. If the cable is packed under the luggage then it is too much of a faff to unload everything for what is a slow charge. Instead best sticking to the tethered
faster chargers which have so far worked well for me. Hope this is now clearer for you 🤪
I'm confused.

So you are aware that it's not CCS when you use your own cable? but happy to lump them together in the same sentence?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable and I have a fully loaded boot but they tend to have been slower chargers.
That's not CCS. The thread title is specifically CCS - even the Chademo comments are not relevant.

·
Registered
634 Posts
But if you're doing a motorway journey, it's just not worth the extra time & hassle to leave the motorway to get to an Instavolt or Polar installation, just to save £3 or so. Especially bearing in mind some of those other chargers might not be located at places with toilets & food. My time is worth more than that.
Depends what you're looking for. Often Polar are at hotels that have nicer toilets and cafes than MSAs. Some are in nicely landscaped grounds for a quick walk to stretch your legs. Lots are very close to motorway junctions so minimal detour. Instavolt are more likely to at garage forecourts or Bannatyne gyms so not quite so nice to spend half an hour.

As you might have realised Electeic Highway is no longer my first choice motorway charging option. I have an eGolf with CCS, like Woodulike I've found EH will usually work for me, as long as the charger isn't broken.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Sometimes when I fill my rarely used diesel car, I find it too much trouble to check whether the petrol pump is working ( sorry getting all muddled up with my green and blacks).

·
Registered
893 Posts
My time is worth more than arriving at EH to find the single 34kW CCS pump is broken or in use, so prefer double 45kW proper Rapids.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sometimes when I fill my rarely used diesel car, I find it too much trouble to check whether the petrol pump is working ( sorry getting all muddled up with my green and blacks).
I am not sure what I have said that makes you want to post the type of responses you have posted. I am new to having an EV and as the discussion leader was referring to experience of using CCS I thought the point was to share experiences which I did. In passing I also referred to my experience of non CCS /non tethered chargers. I am sorry if this has caused you offence. I thought this was meant to be a friendly EV forum not one where people attack others for what they post.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I am not sure what I have said that makes you want to post the type of responses you have posted. I am new to having an EV and as the discussion leader was referring to experience of using CCS I thought the point was to share experiences which I did. In passing I also referred to my experience of non CCS /non tethered chargers. I am sorry if this has caused you offence. I thought this was meant to be a friendly EV forum not one where people attack others for what they post.
You are correct. Sorry for my cheap jibes, by the way there was never any offence taken.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow I am interested in a lot of these comments as so far touch wood I have found all the fast/ rapid chargers that I have used to be ok. That includes Ecotricity, Shell, ones at IKEA (can’t remember the make) plus using my home Pod-Point for top up. I have travelled over 500 miles in last few days and used CCS charging a number of times. Perhaps I have just been lucky. The biggest problem has been where a retailer requires you to use your own cable and I have a fully loaded boot but they tend to have been slower chargers.
Ikea has Ecotricity chargers I think.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Michaelwood gave 14.4kWh in 25 minutes before failing and before 80% reached. 34.56kW power. Data from EH receipt.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,526 Posts
Michaelwood gave 14.4kWh in 25 minutes before failing and before 80% reached. 34.56kW power. Data from EH receipt.
The charger ramps the power down as the battery is charged, at 80% it's probably down to less than 16A, I usually give up after 80% for that reason as it can take forever just to get the last few kWh.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Depends what you're looking for. Often Polar are at hotels that have nicer toilets and cafes than MSAs. Some are in nicely landscaped grounds for a quick walk to stretch your legs. Lots are very close to motorway junctions so minimal detour. Instavolt are more likely to at garage forecourts or Bannatyne gyms so not quite so nice to spend half an hour.

As you might have realised Electeic Highway is no longer my first choice motorway charging option. I have an eGolf with CCS, like Woodulike I've found EH will usually work for me, as long as the charger isn't broken.
Fair enough! As a Chademo user, I've not really had any issues on the motorways, but if my next car was CCS then I'd revise my thinking.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The charger ramps the power down as the battery is charged, at 80% it's probably down to less than 16A, I usually give up after 80% for that reason as it can take forever just to get the last few kWh.
Obviously you do not have an Ioniq, steady 45kW to 80% then 20kW to 94%.
Unless 34kW at EH, but tonight at Tally's End 2 X new 65kW charger the Ioniq got 60kW until 75% dropping down to 20kW.

Again, CCS fine, but expect slow and busy CCS at EH.

·
Registered
640 Posts
EH chargers are limited to 110A, some only 106A, which is 44/43kW. Regular cap is 125A for a 50kW charger (400V x 125A = 50kW)

Power delivered is a product of your battery voltage. You won't turn up to any 50kW rapid and get 50kW if you've got low SOC. It's just not how it works.

The power will ramp up as your battery voltage does, and then throttle back the current at a designated point depending on your BMS, which will also factor in the temp of your battery.

Just because one charger one time didn't go as fast as you expected, is not cause for branding them all the same. Was the current steady during the charging process? Looking at zap-map, Michaelwood seems to be one of the more reliable EH locations.

I mean, do we really have to have the "this XXXkW charger isn't delivering XXXkW when it says it should?" debate on here again? really?

Find the cap on current for the device. Find your battery voltage. Multiply them. Draw yourself a nice little graph if you like.

Chargers don't run at some sort of half speed "because they're not very good". They've either been deliberately capped by choice (there are several Polar rapids out there capped at 85A / 34kW for example), your car is limiting the current (hot battery, high SOC etc), or the charger just goes pop and stops charging.

Obviously you do not have an Ioniq, steady 45kW to 80% then 20kW to 94%
No Ioniq does this. On a 50kW charger, from a low SOC it will charge at the full 125A (around 41kW) ramping up slowly to 45kW as the battery voltage increases, and then the car will throttle it to 55A after 80% (around 22kW).

Rough maths would say that 45kW @ 125A = 360V nominal battery voltage at 80%. This would imply that the 65kW chargers you're referring to have a 165A current cap on them.

The fastest charging you will get from an Ioniq is around 70kW, because as a CCS 1.0 vehicle, the maximum current it can take is 200A (200A x 360V at 80% = 72kW).

So please don't use phrases like "steady 45kW to 80%", because it's simply not accurate. Do the maths. Learn how it works. If you understand the reasoning behind it all, the frustration at slower chargers becomes not only explainable, but more tolerable, and makes for a less stressful life.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts