Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
As the OP asked about CCS reliability, I have given real life experiences. It is recognised that the Ioniq only gets 34kW at EH but 45kW at most others, but able to get up to 60kW with higher power charges. I accept the power increases slowly as the battery voltage increases, from about 55kW to peak of 60kW yesterday, but EH is always less than others. This may be different in other cars.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As the OP asked about CCS reliability, I have given real life experiences. It is recognised that the Ioniq only gets 34kW at EH but 45kW at most others, but able to get up to 60kW with higher power charges. I accept the power increases slowly as the battery voltage increases, from about 55kW to peak of 60kW yesterday, but EH is always less than others. This may be different in other cars.
OK, I've given you the benefit of the doubt about Ioniq's and 34kW on Ecotricity and have put more effort in searching the issue now I'm more awake.

It seems that Ioniq's do rate limit on EH CCS where other cars do not seem to have any similar problems (Source: https://www.speakev.com/threads/what-speed-charging-do-you-get-from-ecotricity-ccs.45521)

So is the fault Hyundai's or Ecotricity? Is it a reliability issue?

I'd say firstly, no, it's not a reliability issue. It does still work, and ironically, fairly reliably. Just slower.

As to who's fault it is... well, see my earlier post regarding people moving goalposts. EH certainly claimed the Kona issues were down to Hyundai's CCS implementation.

My personal opinion on the matter - I would be more inclined to place the lion's share of the blame on Hyundai, especially since they have had issues with the Kona too. It sounds as if there's handshake issues in agreeing the artificially lowered current of the DBT units.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think Hyundai's added this rate limiting as when they used to tell the chargers to "give everything you can" the chargers tripped their breakers. I expect other cars don't hit this bug in the chargers due to slowing ramping up the current they ask for.

At times Tesla has also rate limited rapid charging base on GPS due to EH chargers tripping and overheating.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think Hyundai's added this rate limiting as when they used to tell the chargers to "give everything you can" the chargers tripped their breakers. I expect other cars don't hit this bug in the chargers due to slowing ramping up the current they ask for.

At times Tesla has also rate limited rapid charging base on GPS due to EH chargers tripping and overheating.
That sounds plausible. Ideally it should just respect the advertised maximum from the charger, so it sounds like a workaround, that for all it's inconvenience, keeps the system working.

Here's an odd analogy for the afternoon - the reliability of EH CCS is like having a non-stick frying pan. A lot of the time, you can cook great eggs. Sometimes, you've got a pan that's just come bad from the factory. Other times you have to trust people have adhered to the rules, and not cleaned it with a scourer, even if that scourer cleans other pans fine.

And sometimes - your eggs just stick, and you just don't know who's fault it was, you just know that non-stick surface has had it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts