Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are intending to spend the weekend in Skipton, where there is a Yarn festival on. My wife is into anything involving wool, alpaca fur, silk, particularly spinning, knitting & crochet. We will be staying with friends and they have a 3-pin plug and off-road parking, so no problem when we get there.

We haven't been that far north since April, when really the M1 was the only viable route. I'm proposing the following:

Leave home (Southend) with 100% charge. Drive to Baldock using A roads (a little over 60 miles). A quick top-up at Peterborough, if necessary, and then on to Grantham, Hilltop, Weatherby and then Skipton.

I have always much preferred the A1 for trips up north to the M1, mainly because I can entirely avoid the M25, which is considerably harder to do when going for the M1. I tend to think it's a quieter route as well, and less prone to hold-ups.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wife and I are intending to spend the weekend in Skipton, where there is a Yarn festival on. My wife is into anything involving wool, alpaca fur, silk, particularly spinning, knitting & crochet. We will be staying with friends and they have a 3-pin plug and off-road parking, so no problem when we get there.

We haven't been that far north since April, when really the M1 was the only viable route. I'm proposing the following:

Leave home (Southend) with 100% charge. Drive to Baldock using A roads (a little over 60 miles). A quick top-up at Peterborough, if necessary, and then on to Grantham, Hilltop, Weatherby and then Skipton.

I have always much preferred the A1 for trips up north to the M1, mainly because I can entirely avoid the M25, which is considerably harder to do when going for the M1. I tend to think it's a quieter route as well, and less prone to hold-ups.
We did more or less this on our trip from Colchester to Edinburgh in the summer. (Going via Cambridge rather than Baldock). We had no problems. Note that Grantham and Wetherby each have two chargers so the risk of a faulty charger is fairly low.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Grantham rapids lost their GPRS signal for me in august so be ready for a leapfrog.

Peterborough one has been fine up to last week (regular thwre!) and I can check it for you on the way home on Friday, plus Smiths Nissan have a rapid only a few miles off the a1 if need be.

I used wetherby in august and it was also fine. There is also a rapid at Blyth services (which are more like Newark) and scotch corner

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's reassuring. I will report back on how it all goes.

We will be returning from Burley, so an overnight 3-pin plug on Sunday could well be followed by Ashton Ikea, Trowell, Newport Pagnell, South Mimms and home.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We managed something like 550 miles over the weekend. I didn't use the car at all on Saturday.

On the way up we charged at Baldock, Peterborough, Grantham, Blyth and Wetherby, arriving in Skipton with 16%. 100% charge overnight in Skipton.

We drove to my wife's sister's on Sunday, near Burnley, and drove home from Burnley today.

We left Burnley with 74%, charged at Ashton, Tibshelf, Leicester Forest East and then went to see my sister in St. Ives. We left the car on charge at the Waitrose car park (7kw) for about 100 minutes, loading 5.75kwh. Charged to 82% at the Cambridge services and returned to Southend with nothing showing percentagewise.

While the weather remains warm our house is just within range of the Cambridge rapaid charger. However, a headwind, rain, or lower temperatures would probably require a top-up at Witham station (Source East 7kw) for half an hour or so. Stupidly, the Chelmsford Park & Ride, which houses some Source East 7kw points, are gated and therefore inaccessible for about 12 hours a day.

I was quite pleased to be able to give the car a rest in St. Ives. We left Burnley with 4 bars of battery heat showing. This rose to 5 just through driving, and the air temperature rising, before we had charged up. After the Leicester Forest charge, 7 bars of battery heat were showing. The slow charge and almost 2 hours' rest in St. Ives allowed the battery to cool down a bit.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Well done - proof that EVs are viable as cars. Although the 2016 200-mile model promised will be even better (if it is true!). Have you considered tweeting this to spread the word?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
We managed something like 550 miles over the weekend. I didn't use the car at all on Saturday.

On the way up we charged at Baldock, Peterborough, Grantham, Blyth and Wetherby, arriving in Skipton with 16%. 100% charge overnight in Skipton.

We drove to my wife's sister's on Sunday, near Burnley, and drove home from Burnley today.

We left Burnley with 74%, charged at Ashton, Tibshelf, Leicester Forest East and then went to see my sister in St. Ives. We left the car on charge at the Waitrose car park (7kw) for about 100 minutes, loading 5.75kwh. Charged to 82% at the Cambridge services and returned to Southend with nothing showing percentagewise.

While the weather remains warm our house is just within range of the Cambridge rapaid charger. However, a headwind, rain, or lower temperatures would probably require a top-up at Witham station (Source East 7kw) for half an hour or so. Stupidly, the Chelmsford Park & Ride, which houses some Source East 7kw points, are gated and therefore inaccessible for about 12 hours a day.

I was quite pleased to be able to give the car a rest in St. Ives. We left Burnley with 4 bars of battery heat showing. This rose to 5 just through driving, and the air temperature rising, before we had charged up. After the Leicester Forest charge, 7 bars of battery heat were showing. The slow charge and almost 2 hours' rest in St. Ives allowed the battery to cool down a bit.
Brilliant!

The additional Rapid Charge Network posts planned by the end of the year shpuld give you rapids closer to Southend.

Impressed they all worked too! The one at Ikea Birmingham showed a thermostat fault for me on Saturday.....hopefully an exception as it is one of the new triple headed units.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have another weekend away, leaving tomorrow. We are off to Bishop's Castle (I never know whether there should be an apostrophe in there*) for what should have been a cycling break, but I injured myself 6 weeks ago and am still off the bike.

I'll leave Southend with 100%, charge up to 60% in Toddington, 80% at Watford Gap and 80% at Wolverhampton Nissan dealer (will phone them to check that it's OK. The B & B, a really nice place called the Old Brick House (we stayed there about 6 years ago, I think - could be longer) has given me access to a 3 pin plug for overnight.

When we come home on Monday I reckon a 100% charge form the B & B should get me to Corley (70%), Newport Pagnell (60%), South Mimms (60%) ad home to Southend. I'm always conscious of the battery getting hot with repeated rapid charges, and I have an idea that the heat build-up will be less if I charge more often but to a lower level. This may contain traces of bolleaux, but it needs to be tested.

When we stopped at St. Ives on Monday, the battery temperature display reduced from 7 bars to 6. I think, for future trips away, I might try to build in a "cultural" stop of some kind, to allow the car a couple of hours' break on a 7kw charger while we visit a castle or something, if the two can be combined. When travelling up the A1, Stamford is worth a visit, but it doesn't appear to have any charging points.

*Google Maps says there should, so I've put one in.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Bishops Castle is my part of the world. Great little town, as you will know as a returning visitor.

Did find some research a few years ago suggesting 32 amp charging may be the sweet spot for charging.

South shrops woefully short of public charging with Church Stretton being an outstanding exception.

Telford Asda chargemaster 24 hour available (except sunday) but only seemed to give 16 amps and 3 hour limit before pcn. Nissan dealership a short walk from the centre which has been revamped. An imax there now. And a network of cycle paths to Ironbridge on an old railway line the silkin way. Ironbridge also has a zero net option at best western hotel.

Shrewsbury has dealer charging at Harlescott. Close to Battlefield site. Also at Asda next to town - but found them unreliable - app may work better than card - and 2 hour pcn limit.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Stamford may not have charging points, but there are ones in the shopping centre car park in Peterborough opposite the train station - from which one can reach Stamford in 15 minutes ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts