Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just looking for some clarification on how the e-manager minimum charge seems to work / is supposed to work.

I have read many posts of people claiming the car should charge to the set level 30% for example then stop and continue charging just in time for the requested departure time taking into account for off-peak if setup. At least this is how I read it and expected it to work and want it to work!

In reality what I am finding and again from reading posts others have found the same thing, if the car is below to minimum requirement when plugged in it will start to charge immediately but doesn’t stop at the 30% mark it continues to charge to 100%. As said I am not the only one who has mentioned this on the forum over the years it seems.

Do others have it working that the car stops charging at the minimum charge amount? Not the theory of it doing this but actually achieving it?

Essentially I am trying to work out if mine is a fault in continuing to charge right up to 100% once it starts charging or if this is just how it was designed to work, possibly I have setting wrong but not sure what setting it could be. Mine is an early 2015 car not sure if this was something that was addressed in a software update at a later date.

Just looking for advice and experience from others. Thanks

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yes, it works for me - currently I am using it 2 or 3 times a week, every week, with no issues.

I have a recurring departure time set for every Sunday. I have individual departure times set to match the days I have to work in the factory.

I have minimum charge set to 70%.

I have all the departure times set to charge and heat.

I arrive home typically at 0% charge and plugin. I don't press the charge buttons by the charge port or anything, I just plug in and turn on the EVSE. Car charges to 70% and stops.

Car starts charging over 70% a few hours before the departure time. Seems to reach 100% and stop charging about 30mins - 1 hour before departure time.

Some time after the car reaches 100% and before the departure time the car starts heating.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it works for me - currently I am using it 2 or 3 times a week, every week, with no issues.

I have a recurring departure time set for every Sunday. I have individual departure times set to match the days I have to work in the factory.

I have minimum charge set to 70%.

I have all the departure times set to charge and heat.

I arrive home typically at 0% charge and plugin. I don't press the charge buttons by the charge port or anything, I just plug in and turn on the EVSE. Car charges to 70% and stops.

Car starts charging over 70% a few hours before the departure time. Seems to reach 100% and stop charging about 30mins - 1 hour before departure time.

Some time after the car reaches 100% and before the departure time the car starts heating.
Thanks for the feedback, when you say you have individual departure times set, have you more options / found a way to have more than 3 departure time settings?

Hmm I wonder why mine continues to charge rather than stopping it makes no sense, I have read others on the forum saying they had the same but all the topics just fizzle out with no conclusion as to the cause

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, when you say you have individual departure times set, have you more options / found a way to have more than 3 departure time settings?

Hmm I wonder why mine continues to charge rather than stopping it makes no sense, I have read others on the forum saying they had the same but all the topics just fizzle out with no conclusion as to the cause
No, just the three. One recurs every Sunday, the others I just set as one off timers when I need them. EG I am working in the factory tomorrow so I have set a timer for 07:30 tomorrow morning. I am probably going into work again next Tuesday, once I know for sure I will set a timer, etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, just the three. One recurs every Sunday, the others I just set as one off timers when I need them. EG I am working in the factory tomorrow so I have set a timer for 07:30 tomorrow morning. I am probably going into work again next Tuesday, once I know for sure I will set a timer, etc.

View attachment 140190
Yeah it's much easier to do that with the app, would love to be able to sit at home at assist timerson the fly. Unfortunately my car is a bit early to have the car-net connectivity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of interest does anyone else have this working correctly / experiencing the same as me?

I've monitored it for a week now with the same results:
1. If I get home with a charge above the minimum required amount it doesn't start charging it just goes into delayed mode and ensures the car is ready for my next departure = perfect

2. If I get home and the battery is below the minimum charge level it starts to charge straight away = perfect. However it still fails to stop for me and just charges until the battery is 100% full ignoring the minimum charge level, the off- peak charging and my departure time.

3. If I manually stop the charging once it has gone above the minimum charge level then start the charging again it reacts correctly and goes into delayed charge mode topping up once off-peak times are reached.

It's almost behaving but for some reason whatever is supposed to trigger the charging to stop at the minimum required level just isn't happening.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok now I am even more confused as after a bit of checking I have realised that the minimum charging is working correctly when I charge at work! I am using the same genuine VW type of granny charger at both ends.

I have tried creating a new charging location called "Home New" and put the require settings in just to make sure there wasn't something corrupt with the charging location - still the same results

I have tried changing the order of schedules so my home charging times - still the same results

The only thing that is different between home and work really is that I have off-peak charging enabled at home, I will try this evening turning off-peak off and see if it carries on charging past the minimum requirement.

Anyone got any good ideas?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have noticed scheduled charging is glitchier when using the granny cable.

I used to have a wall box and took it with me when I moved out but with COVID meaning my car has not had as much use, I have just been using it with a granny cable for now and have not bothered to put the wall box on. If I program a scheduled charge in with the granny cable I notice it sometimes doesn't work.

I haven't figured out exactly what happens but what I suspect is that when the vehicle does not request a charge the 'granny' goes into a sleep mode to save power (turning off contactors perhaps?), but this then causes the car to start a charging request immediately.

I do not know of a fix besides using a wall box. Since my current EV tariff starts at 8.30pm, and I can go outside easily enough to plug in the car, I've just been doing this. I can also start and stop it from the phone. When I get a full EV as my next car, I will upgrade from a granny charger once more. May put my Rolec back on the wall!

I wish I had an easy answer for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts