Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how an electrician can go about getting accredited with OLEV to install home charging stations?

I'm looking to get a ROLEC Wallpod. Whilst they're happy for me to use my own electrician, to qualify for the government grant, the electrician needs to be OLEV accredited. I don't have to use my own electrician but if I can, I'd prefer to - mainly because I know he'd do an excellent job and because I'd know where to find if I needed to.;)

Have tried emailing OLEV but they don't seem to be keen on replying.

·
Registered
118 Posts
He needs to follow the links on the olev web site but it may not be worth his time for just one unit. He will need to have training in EV chargepoint installation and be approved by the manufacturer. You'd be better off telling us your location and we will find someone for you that can help. The glory days of fitting hundreds of units a month to anyone are long gone. Oh and getting the units is hard work at present, one supplier told me there would be a 4 week wait! I told them to look harder - now they are arriving next week.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We're just going through the process again and should have the outcome shortly, but as Chris intimates it would indeed be a lot of work for one person compile all the required info. A lot of the questions are geared to organisations, reading through them.

My position on this and also the Building Services side of Energy Efficiency is that the engine room for UK plc when things need to *really* get going will be the large number of smaller contractors, rather than those with volume national coverage. Green Deal is not without its challenges, but one area that is a useful and is worth considering the same approach for in other arenas is the individual certification arrangements for being an Installer or Advisor. I would view this as vital for CP Installation where there are ways for even qualified electricians to get things wrong, through lack of familiarity. The current OLEV accreditation arrangements aren't really for the same purpose as that or the Gas Safe Register, as another example, so the market is missing another mechanism it'll need to achieve volume - the requirements are written in the form of the CoP, so we're part way there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts