Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having one of those 4 day test drives and I have to say that it has worked. I'm impressed. The power when accelerating was incredible - I loved leaving the boy racers in my rear view mirror!

I've had a 6.6, 30kw Tekna and would like to buy one! However, not sure my budget will stretch to that.

I've set myself a £200 month payment limit which will mean an older car and / or a lower spec car.

So, my question is what are the key features that you love about your Leaf? What could you not live without? How old is too old? Are there any issues with a 2nd Leaf that I should be extra mindful of?

Also, those who have been through the haggling, are pitfalls to be avoided?

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have a new Black Edition, which for me is perfect specification wise as it has the around view camera and LED headlights but not the Bose which I though didn't sound great and uses up the boot or Leather which I dislike. Cost 198/198 at 10k over 2 year.

Also have a 13 plate Acenta with cold pack and 46k mikes - that's great too, my only worry was battery health, but tests consistently at 95% in Leaf Spy. 115/155 for 8K over 3 years.

They are both being paid for by fuel and tax savings so basicly free new cars.

Steve

·
Registered
902 Posts
we are paying £162 I think for a new acenta for 3 years on PCP with 5k yearly limit and 8p/mile over that. It's not a bad deal but I've seen it beaten on here. Personally while we all want the highest spec model obviously, I didnt see the extra value in the tekna, it's a lot more money for a car that's essentially the same with just a few exceptions. Also I don't have the silly bose thing in the boot which to me is actually a bonus :p

as steve said above, we were paying about £100 a month on fuel and now we're paying about £5 a month thanks to free charging posts round here, so, the maths is definitely favourable!

·
Super Moderator
11,527 Posts
I've set myself a £200 month payment limit which will mean an older car and / or a lower spec car.

So, my question is what are the key features that you love about your Leaf? What could you not live without? How old is too old? Are there any issues with a 2nd Leaf that I should be extra mindful of?

Having owned both a 24kWh Leaf and a 30kWh Leaf, get a 30 if you can.

I'd happily take a 30kWh Black Edition or 30kWh Acenta over a used 24kWh Tekna. Take a look in the classified section and see what is on offer.

If you must go used, battery condition and the overall condition of the car are most important.

A warning if you take a used car on PCP. - THe car must be in good repair when you hand it back. If anything is broken you can be charged.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We're paying 199/199 for a 30kWh Tekna (3.3kW charger though), from the deals posted on the forum back in March. Given June is also the final month of a quarter (like March) i'd see what deals pop up in the coming days... our local dealer couldn't even come close, even after trying very hard to...

·
Super Moderator
11,527 Posts
I've had a 6.6, 30kw Tekna and would like to buy one! However, not sure my budget will stretch to that.

Dropping to a 3.6kW Tekna saves about £1000.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can charge at home the 3.3 kW charger is fine , I charge overnight on Eco 7 (car timer:sleep:)
6.6 would be preferred but the premium is rather high!

·
Leaf lover
4,215 Posts
We have a new Black Edition, which for me is perfect specification wise as it has the around view camera and LED headlights but not the Bose which I though didn't sound great and uses up the boot or Leather which I dislike. Cost 198/198 at 10k over 2 year.

Also have a 13 plate Acenta with cold sock and 46k mikes - that's great too, my only worry was battery health, but tests consistently at 95% in Leaf Spy. 115/155 for 8K over 3 years.

They are both being paid for by fuel and tax savings do basicly free new cars.

Steve
Would it be fair to say that the "Black Edition" (which can be had in white?) is the best of both Acenta and Tekna?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldn't want to be without heated steering wheel or seats in the winter. Comfort and range-booster. Came as an option on my '13 Acenta, that I bought used. I also like the relatively cheap 16" tyres on the Acenta (compared to 17" on Tekna)!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have been having one of those 4 day test drives and I have to say that it has worked. I'm impressed. The power when accelerating was incredible - I loved leaving the boy racers in my rear view mirror!

£200/month will depend on your deposit amount and the mileage and term of PCP contract

Even back in March a 30kW Tekna with 6.6 charger and typical miles of 10k pa would be ca £245-255 per month with similar deposit. Plain red paint, 3.3kw charger 30kW Tekna was £199/£199 but based on 5k miles pa in March.

You may be better looking for a lightly used 30kW car, ex demo , year old examples can be found for ca £17k or less - You might not get the very best APR rate on a PCP but it might be the best way to hit your target figures..

Used LEAF 5 DR HATCHBACK E (30kWh) in Hull - Nissan Used Cars UK

Not many low mile recent Teknas with 30kW battery listed currently. There are quite a few 30kW Acenta on 66 plate, around £16k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the responses.

The local dealer offered me a 30 kWh Tekna for 250 a month with a £1000 deposit. Not sure if it was the 6.6 charger or not. I wasn't so impressed given what I'd seen from the classifieds on here and showed him some of the offers. He's going to contact the EV Development Officer to see if he can authorise a better deal.

If the person with the unusual title cannot do better, will opt for a Black Edition from the classifieds (if still available!)

Thanks again,
Darren

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The things I wanted were the 30kWh battery, a 6.6kW onboard charger and cost no more than £10000 + Gen1 trade in (no PCPs etc. for me, whatever they are.)
Things I didn't want were the Bose Hifi and leather seats.so obviously the Acenta was the one to go for. I'd have liked the all round sensors but beggars can't be choosers (or in reality, that isn't an option!)

·
Leaf lover
4,215 Posts
As I have said in the past, the way the motor industry offers their products is a mystery not even known to themselves.
They have developed a supply-chain and a production system that allows a vehicle to be turned out in a variety of configurations but reserve the right to a say in which configuration they will let us purchase.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
As I have said in the past, the way the motor industry offers their products is a mystery not even known to themselves.
They have developed a supply-chain and a production system that allows a vehicle to be turned out in a variety of configurations but reserve the right to a say in which configuration they will let us purchase.
Put a different way: Some car manufacturers become efficient by improving working styles to give the customer what they want when they want it. Nissan become efficient by only ever making the minimum possible number of variants of a product.

·
Leaf lover
4,215 Posts
Put a different way: Some car manufacturers become efficient by improving working styles to give the customer what they want when they want it. Nissan become efficient by only ever making the minimum possible number of variants of a product.
My frustration with Nissan is that when I purchased my lovely blue Leaf in 2011 it was simply, here is our new zero emissions vehicle, what colour would you like?
Nissan boasted 100 improvements for the 2013 model but then handed the Leaf over to their marketing department to do whatever silliness they wished.
There basically has remained one Leaf with options and if production efficiencies were Nissan concerns then that is how they would market and produce the Leaf.
The Leaf was a revolutionary new product which should have had all those 100 improvements in 2013 and they should have continued in the same revolutionary simply vein.
Will Nissan come to their senses in September or will we be shaking our heads in dismay?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your thoughts all. I loved the heated seats and steering wheel as my hands always seem to get cold in winter so edging towards the Tekna. The Bose system didn't sound that good so I could leave that.

Not sure the 6.6 charger would be so important as mostly charging at home. Does it actually speed charging time by half?

You're right about the lack of option though. Bought a new mini about 2 years back and the array of choice was frankly bewildering.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Not sure the 6.6 charger would be so important as mostly charging at home. Does it actually speed charging time by half?
Yes, double the speed providing it is a 6.6kW post you're plugged into. Many public points are, but not all. The difference is adding 30 miles range in an hour's charge as opposed to around 15 miles on a 3.3, or 60 miles compared to 30 in a two hour stay. I agree at home it might not matter so much.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts all. I loved the heated seats and steering wheel as my hands always seem to get cold in winter so edging towards the Tekna. The Bose system didn't sound that good so I could leave that.

You're right about the lack of option though. Bought a new mini about 2 years back and the array of choice was frankly bewildering.
The default charger is 3.6kW so no, the 6.6kW doesn't quite cut charging time in half. Whether it's useful to you depends on your usage. Last night could have been the first time in a year that a 6.6 would have been useful to me; however it was academic as a PHEV had blocked the one charger post in the Oxford car park...no biggie however, as there's a 50kW rapid charger 4 miles up the road!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts