Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frnds,i am trying to create an app,which can able to give information about how much energy will be used if we go by the specified path...
Bt i was struck in middle frnds.only three forces were acting on the car. They r down wind force,drag force,side wind force.i got equations for drag force but i was n't able to calculate the force exerted by side wind force on car.....pls somebody help...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm guessing it would be quite similar to the drag force but instead of taking the velocity of the car as the wind speed just take the wind speed and then the velocity component acting towards the side of the car and remember to calculate the approximate side area.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
:)

I use a version of this:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation...Articles/Crosswind Calculations made Easy.pdf

You'll need to know the actual forecast enroute winds though - which is almost impossible given that cars operate at ground level, and the forecast surface winds can do all sorts of funny things when presented with surface features. On finals at at airfields with an active air to ground radio service, we're usually given the W/V (direction, velocity) when declaring position on final approach. It's also available as automated forecast data too.

How accurate do you need it to be?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Pointless calculation IMO. I don't mean that as a criticism... I like the idea of a prediction of the effect of wind. The thing is that wind is so locally affected at ground level that any calculations you do will not reflect what you actually see on the ground. Wind is only predictable once you are above the friction layer... about 1000-1500ft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frnds pls help...i had got real time data of wind direction and its speed.so i need only formulas ,so pls help frnds as i hadnt got much time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts