Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 years ago now I bought my first BEV an Allied Electric converted Peugeot Partner Tepee, billed as an ePartner, there is a lengthy thread about these on the PSA forum (search for Allied Electric). Mine has just died and this could be the end of an era because I don’t think there are any left in service now!

Anyway I have now bought a Mitsubishi Miev and my mind has turned to a home charge point which I now understand is called an EVSE. The ePartner had a 1 or 3 phase charging option, not having a 3 phase home supply I used single phase with a 16A commando to big red 5pin plug into the socket on the car and never really bothered on the road charging because it would have needed a special lead making up. I did however get an electrician to install an outside distribution panel in my front yard to feed outside lights on a timer, a 16A commando socket on a timer (for charging the car on E7), a 32A constant supply for daytime car charging (and potential later upgrade to a charge point) and an outside 3pin socket. There is an RCD covering all the ways on the outside panel safely weatherproofed in a small meter box and fed by appropriate armored cable via a rotary isolater from the consumer unit in the house.

Technically I should have 32A charge point fitted but it would be wasted on the Miev as it only does Granny lead off a 3pin plug, 16A type 1&2 or Chademo, so for home charging 16A is the best I can achieve and my current set up will offer that. So, I have been looking at commando to type 1 (or 2) leads. I imagined that this could be done quite cheaply as I already have a long length of 5 core 2.5mm flex ready fitted with a commando left over from the ePartner, but the lead I am seeing are quite expensive and all seem to have a brick in the middle. I though these were there on the granny lead to cut the current from 16A to 10A to protect the 3 pin plug so a commando 16A would not need one? I could just make up a commando to 3pin socket lead to use the existing granny lead on my simed commando socket, but that means having a 3pin plug/socket under a bucket to protect it from the rain.

Clearly I am in a quandary, any of you more experienced/knowledgeable people out there got any suggestions?

TIA Mike.

·
Registered
874 Posts
To kick off with - you need the "brick". This is the EVSE that you describe, and controls communication with the car and safety checks. You can't just make a lead up that goes straight into a Type 1 connector from a 240V supply...well, you could, but it won't work. You can buy the EVSE with a Commando socket, usually 32A (for example, using the Ohme discounted offer from Octopus Energy), and this would work for your situation.

There is another factor to consider, which is that modern safety regulations require there to be adequate protection for sockets / devices intended for charging an electric vehicle. Depending on the earthing system for your property, this likely means a method to protect against a supply fault that allows the neutral voltage to float. Will be either an earth rod or a protective device in the supply line.

You could use a Commando to 3-pin socket adapter, and then use the granny lead supplied with the car. However, that would limit you to 10A charging.

In short - please consult a qualified electrician with knowledge of EV charging. For future proofing, my advice would be to fit a proper charge point. Your iMiev uses a Type 1 connector, most modern EVs are Type 2 so future proofing might be a consideration if you'll change the vehicle in the (near) future. Perhaps by fitting an untethered (cable free) unit and using a separate Type 2 to Type 1 cable.

Good luck and enjoy the new vehicle!

·
Registered
322 Posts
16A commando sockets are a different size to 32A ones - so you can’t buy the Ohme using the Octopus offer and use it (even though Ohme will limit it to 16A if you ask them to)

You’ll need to find something with the right plug.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
16A commando sockets are a different size to 32A ones - so you can’t buy the Ohme using the Octopus offer and use it (even though Ohme will limit it to 16A if you ask them to)

You’ll need to find something with the right plug.
You could refit a 16A Commando plug.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Surely void the warranty in doing so though, seems silly when other EVSEs exist that come with the right plug.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The brick (EVSE) in the lead is the same as a wall unit and communicates with the car on its capabilities, the car sets its internal charger to take what it can (16A on a 16-32A unit or 10 on a norman granny lead).
For a wall mounted Chargepoint I'd go for a 32A (7.2kW) unit and untethered. As to why. Currently there is a grant for some types which can help and more to the point the next vehicle will be type 2 and 7kW so this is future proofing.
Untethered so no agro changing a tethered lead when the car changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts