Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Still getting to grips with how the various functions of my Golf GTE and we connect work.

I have set up a schedule so that the car is heated and charged in readiness for my trip to work. This seems to work ok.

If my day changes and I want to charge up in between - how does that work?

If I plug the car in will it wait until the next morning as that is my next departure according to the e-schedule and we connect? How do I override that so it charges instantly but without the heating function? It SEEMS to add 6 miles of range (from empty) then stop until the next morning.

Michael

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you tried the buttons next to the charging socket? I've not pressed them, but fairly certain that one of them is supposed to start charging instantly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you tried the buttons next to the charging socket? I've not pressed them, but fairly certain that one of them is supposed to start charging instantly.
That is correct, the default is the bottom button or the timed charge, the top button instigates an instant charge so you can drive on electric in between set departure times. The 6 miles is your minimum charge setting (probably 30%) and is supposed to allow you pop out to the shops, local train station etc. without needing to start the ICE.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you have a departure time set the car will charge to whatever you have set as minimum charge and then stop. It will then complete the charge in time for your departure.

I am not sure if the button by the charge port overrides this - I just find it easier to set a higher minimum charge level so the car charges to 80% immediately and then tops up to 100% at departure time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is where the button is on my car (which admittedly is a Passat):

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
GTE has similar, if not the very same set up behind the charge flap.
If you have a delayed charge set up in the car, but you find yourself needing a quick charge at another time of day.
Then as soon as you plug in the car, press the “Instant Charge” button inside the port, then car will commence a charge without it affecting the settings for the delayed charging sessions.
Just saves “Faffing” around with your settings all of the time I found.
Remember the early cars had no facility to adjust settings from your phone, it all had to be done from the head unit in the car.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Another tip (not so relevant for the original poster) but if you want to interrupt an instant charge but leave the charge cable connected, press the instant charge button again. The car won't charge until the next schedule, or if there is no schedule, it won't charge until you press that button again or trigger it from the app.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers - makes sense to me now.

One question though, if I have fixed unit rate electricity so it is no cheaper overnight, should I just set the minimum charge to 100% then it will charge the battery up every time it is plugged in and in a morning it just heats the cabin up?

·
Registered
201 Posts
One question though, if I have fixed unit rate electricity so it is no cheaper overnight, should I just set the minimum charge to 100% then it will charge the battery up every time it is plugged in and in a morning it just heats the cabin up?
Depends. Charging overnight can still be useful for load balancing. For example, EV charging with the oven going, the kettle boiling and somebody using the electric shower might make you a little nervous about hitting the limit of your house wiring. Charge the EV overnight when everybody is asleep and it probably becomes a non-issue (or at least no more of an issue than before EV ownership).

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It's better for the environment to charge at night. The carbon impact of your energy usage is lower because it's primarily supplied by wind and nuclear, rather than peaker plants and natural gas. And, if it costs you no extra, you may as well do it, but it's even better if you switch to a rate that has night time pricing. I run the dishwasher, washing machine, and car charging overnight. No risk of overloading the circuit providing you have the EV charger on a dedicated circuit.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the answers - makes sense to me now.

Yes, you can. The only reason I set at 80% is so that the car is not sitting at 100% for extended periods with a potential negative effect on battery health.
The battery has a buffer in it (usable battery capacity < total battery capacity) so this probably is not necessary, but it cannot hurt (particularly now I am not using the car every day)

·
Registered
2020 Passat Estate GTE Advance
55 Posts
If you set the minimum charge to 100% then, surely, there is no point in setting a charging schedule? In which case cancel the charging schedule and just have the heating schedule.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you set the minimum charge to 100% then, surely, there is no point in setting a charging schedule? In which case cancel the charging schedule and just have the heating schedule.
I didn't realise you could do them separately plus I assume the heating cycle takes away some of the range so needs a charge as well?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't realise you could do them separately plus I assume the heating cycle takes away some of the range so needs a charge as well?

Yes, they can be separate - I have a Passat GTE, so I'm assuming it'll be the same for the Golf. If the car is plugged in then the heating is done using your house electricity not from the HV battery, so the range will be unaffected. It's better this way so that you will not need to have the car heater on when you set off, which would use up range.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Yes you can - you can choose between charge only, heat only, and both.

I would just leave it set to both. That way if the battery is at less than 100% it will charge to 100% and heat, if it is already at 100% it will just heat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is it actually possible to set the minimum charge to 100% ??

Just checked WeConnect (app and online) and the maximum that the minimum charge can be set to is 50%. Is it different for the Golf GTE rather than the Passat GTE?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Is it actually possible to set the minimum charge to 100% ??

Just checked WeConnect (app and online) and the maximum that the minimum charge can be set to is 50%. Is it different for the Golf GTE rather than the Passat GTE?
You can on my Golf GTE. Maybe it is a model year thing rather than a Golf / Passat thing?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

No, the heating schedule pulls power from the mains even if the vehicle is fully charged, so it should not discharge the battery. (It seems that if the mains supply isn't powerful enough, it still will not discharge the battery, it just won't heat up as fast.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts