Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 2016 Acenta 30kWh
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, had our 2016 Leaf 30Kwh for about 6 months and still getting the hang of a few things.

I've seen a few posts suggesting that it's preferable to charge to around 80% rather than 100%, to keep the battery in good condition. But from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be an option on the charging timer to stop timing at a specific charge level - just time.

So am I missing something? Or do I just need to take a punt on roughly what time of night it'll be at around 80%, set the timer appropriately, and cross my fingers? Seems like a massive oversight to not have that option in the menu somewhere...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The option was removed in late 2015. It used to be in the zero emissions menu but will be missing from your car.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
So am I missing something? Or do I just need to take a punt on roughly what time of night it'll be at around 80%, set the timer appropriately, and cross my fingers? Seems like a massive oversight to not have that option in the menu somewhere...
Your car does not have that max charge feature now so, yes, if it's important to you you will need to take other steps to stop the charge after a mental calculation of time converted to miles or % charge. I find that using added miles works best for me. I know that 100 miles on the GOM will keep the SOC well below 100% and whether that is 75% or 85% is irrelevant. So I check the current miles and calc accordingly. eg - miles = 48. Need 52 miles. 52 divided by 4.5 = 11.55 kWhs needed. 11.55 divided by 6.6 = 1.75 hours on my home charger. And set timers accordingly. That will take the car to around 100 miles available again without fixating over the actual % SOC.

Slightly annoying but no different to when I had an ICE. I didn't like to brim that either and used to do a similar mental gymnastic trick to work out how many litres would take it from its present fill level to 3/4 tank. But then again I don't know of any ICE car that has a limiting device on the filling tube to stop fuel entering when it's 80% full.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Or have a look at my similarly named thread where I propose a simple method to do it:

As long as your EVSE (wall charge point) is a smart model and can have a timed on/off schedule of its own programmed, you can combine the built in charge charger in the car with the wall charge point timer to charge to roughly the same % each day automatically.

It's not super accurate if you have the 6kW charger in your car - about +/- 6% of the desired target so anywhere from 74% to 86%, if you have the 3kW charger it would probably be +/- 3%.

If you do have a smart wall charge point have a look at that thread (ignoring the pointless flame war early in the thread...) for more details. But as a summary I have the following timer configuration:

1) The car's onboard charge timer is set to an end time of 5:30am Monday to Friday and no start time. This causes the car to calculate the start time automatically based on how long it thinks it will take to reach 100% from the current state of charge. (Unfortunately this value is rounded to the nearest 30 minutes, hence a +/- 6% uncertainty)

2) The wall charge point has a schedule that is set to go on at 11pm, (in case I turned if off manually during the day and forgot to turn it on again) off at 3:13am and back on again at 5:40am. This seems to hit pretty close to 80%.

When I first plug the car in at night the wall charge point is "on" but the cars own charge timer defers charging until some calculated time, say 2am depending on how much it needs to charge. It charges for a while then the wall charger interrupts the charge at 3:13am - before the car can reach 100%. At 5:40am the wall charger turns on again but because this is past the 5:30am end time of the cars own charge timer the car does not resume charging.

At 7am my timed climate control schedule can come on but the car will not charge any further. (Well, it creeps up by about 2% for a 30 minute timed climate session)

This has been working well for me for a couple of weeks now. If I want to charge to 100% on a particular day (as I did yesterday for a long trip) I can simply remove the 3:13am off schedule for that day in the app I'm using to control the EVSE's schedule ahead of time and put it back later.

Adjusting the 3:13am off point will affect the final charge attained - earlier will be lower and later higher - I actually have it set to 3:13am week days and 2:50am weekends as I don't need as much charge on the weekend.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
This has been working well for me for a couple of weeks now.
But only if your car is always at the same SOC when plugged in every night. And absent any cheap rate charging complications it's a simple time connected calculation. My basic method works from any SOC start.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
But only if your car is always at the same SOC when plugged in every night. And absent any cheap rate charging complications it's a simple time connected calculation. My basic method works from any SOC start.
I'm sure Simon will along soon to explain why just cutting off the power while the car is charging is not ideal, hence his different method, though might not be possible depending on what charger you have.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
But only if your car is always at the same SOC when plugged in every night.
Wrong. I guess you didn't read the first post in the linked thread to understand how it works before commenting.
And absent any cheap rate charging complications it's a simple time connected calculation. My basic method works from any SOC start.
And my method will charge the car to within 74-86% from any starting SoC automatically without any manual calculations or changes to time settings. The whole point of the approach I tried is I wanted an automatic system where I just plug the car in and it figures out what to do for itself. Set once and forget.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I'm sure Simon will along soon to explain why just cutting off the power while the car is charging is not ideal, hence his different method, though might not be possible depending on what charger you have.
If he's using the timer built into the car to switch off at a certain time that's fine. Also a proper smart EVSE with built in timer is fine as it will tell the car to stop charging via the pilot signal before opening the car and EVSE contactors. (As my modified Rolec now does)

A granny charger with a 3 pin timer in front of it - not a good idea as it will cause arcing in the EVSE contactors and also puts unnecessary stress on the onboard charger in the car.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Also a proper smart EVSE with built in timer is fine as it will tell the car to stop charging via the pilot signal before opening the car and EVSE contactors.
I use the app with my smart Podpoint EVSE. I can set the start and stop time in there and then leave the car plugged in. The only 'work' involved is to calculate the miles needed to get back to 100 and divide that by 4.5 and then by 6.6 to work out how long to set the timer for. And walk away. Every time a winner. I really don't need to be a NASA rocket surgeon to keep the car at 80%.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks, I have a Zappi so don't think it has a timer option - therefore looks like manual calcs are the way to go. But nice innovation though!

But it sounds like some of you aren't concerned about getting to it 100% anyway? Am I mistaken on the 80% charge increasing battery longevity? Nearly all of our journeys are just around the city - long trips are pretty rare, so it doesn't often need to be at 100%...

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Thanks folks, I have a Zappi so don't think it has a timer option - therefore looks like manual calcs are the way to go. But nice innovation though!

But it sounds like some of you aren't concerned about getting to it 100% anyway? Am I mistaken on the 80% charge increasing battery longevity? Nearly all of our journeys are just around the city - long trips are pretty rare, so it doesn't often need to be at 100%...
I'm pretty sure that Zappi has an app with timer settings. In fact it must have because it can be programmed to take advantage of changing tariff times and the costs.

And yes, many people just plug in every night and fill up. This is not an issue as long as they use the car daily or a few times a week. The word on the street is that it's only leaving a car totally full or empty for many weeks that can cause problems. It has just become a bit of a fetish with nerdy EV owners is all. Don't stress over this aspect at all. In any case, most owners move on to another car within 3 or 4 years so that any degradation over 10 years will not be their problem. This is really why responsible nerds try to not damage cars in the first few years though as they do not wish to be blamed by the fifth owner when a bar or two has been lost.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Mine always gets charged to full. However I won't charge it unless it actually needs charged. If it's just pottering around town then it can go quite a few days before needing plugged in.

I don't really see the point in trying to micromanage the battery. However 80% charge also isn't that useful for me due to the length of my commute.

Avoiding keeping it at 100% for prolonged periods seems like a good idea, so if your going to charge it, do so when you know you'll be driving it immediately to use up some charge, rather than charging to 100% then leaving it sat there for a week. Otherwise, just drive the car :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks folks, that makes sense. I think time spent on this forum can make someone obsess over managing every detail of their car, yet the majority of EV owners probably don't give stuff like this a second thought!

The car seemed in good health when we got it and after 6 months with us, it still seems pretty happy. I'll just carry on as I am :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks folks, that makes sense. I think time spent on this forum can make someone obsess over managing every detail of their car, yet the majority of EV owners probably don't give stuff like this a second thought!

The car seemed in good health when we got it and after 6 months with us, it still seems pretty happy. I'll just carry on as I am :)
I messed around for ages trying to get it to reliably charge to 80%, the best I've managed to do is using the OHME smart cable plugged into my charger, the app lets you charge to any percentage on any day you want, I just have it set to charge to 80% every day. It's at the mercy of the Nissan API though for getting the charge percentage, so sometimes it finishes on 75 or 83 or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts